Pulsing an LED during muon detection

In summary, the pulsing light caused low measurements on the muon detection assignment. This could be due to the scintillator material absorbing some of the photons from the LED or due to the photomultiplier tube catching these photons. The LED pulsers are most likely used for calibration.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

For my lab physics class I was in a group doing the classic muon detection assignment. We ran the equipment for about two days and during the time we had a pulsing (100 Hz) LED inside the scintillator chamber. This gave some measurements that were extremely low (about 0.6 μs) and I was wondering why the pulsing light caused the results. Would it be due to the scintillator material absorbing some of the photons from the LED or would it be due to the photomultiplier tube catching these photons or some other effect. Also, what are the LED pulsers used for?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:
For my lab physics class I was in a group doing the classic muon detection assignment. We ran the equipment for about two days and during the time we had a pulsing (100 Hz) LED inside the scintillator chamber. This gave some measurements that were extremely low (about 0.6 μs)
... what were you measuring and how? Some time period I'm guessing but what time period?
... and I was wondering why the pulsing light caused the results.
Without knowing the details of the setup I cannot say. What makes you think the pulsating light caused anything?
Would it be due to the scintillator material absorbing some of the photons from the LED or would it be due to the photomultiplier tube catching these photons or some other effect.
All or none of these - what measures were used to prevent this?
Also, what are the LED pulsers used for?
You did the experiment - what did you use it for?
Did you just blindly follow instructions? What do the instructions say about it?

Basically - there is no way tot ell what is going on unless you provide a detailed description of the experiment. I am unlikely to be familiar with what counts as standard for this assignment in your country. To my mind "the classic muon detection" thing involves a bunch of guys traveling the the top of Mt Washington, and a lot of effort was made to block out all light from the scintilator and the photomultiplier. I have ever done an experiment which deliberately introduced another light source during the test run. The only time another source is used is for calibration... you switch it off during the run.

We were measuring the mean lifetime of a muon. The pulsing light was accidentally turned on by someone and caused mean lifetime of about 1/4 of the expected value. By classic muon experiment I mean the experiment most undergraduate students do to detect muons and measure their life time with a scintillator and photomultiplier.The light shouldn't have been used so I'm guessing its for the time dilation experiment not the mean lifetime experiment that comes in the users manual for the muon phyics equipment.

The time dilation experiment involves measuring the mean lifetime of the muons ... the LED is most likely for calibration.
Can light from the LED get to the scintilator and can it get to the photomultiplier?

Note:
The pulsing light was accidentally turned on by someone and caused mean lifetime of about 1/4 of the expected value.
... this statement is nonsense: you don't know that the LED has any effect on the muon's mean life and you do not know of any mechanism for this to happen either so don't say this. What you have written here is a conclusion when you should be writing observations.

Say only what you know first - then speculate.
What you know is that you got a bunch of signals from the equipment.
If you assume that all the pulses come from muons, then use the data to work out the muon mean-life, you get a low number.
However, some pulses come from the LED by some mechanism that depends on stuff you have not told me about how the equipment was set up.
You could maybe rescue the experiment by using what you know about how the LED and equipment interact (which you have also not told me) to take account of this as a kind of background pattern. ie if you know the LED pulses at 1Hz you should be able to remove the resulting artifacts with reasonable confidence.
But if you don't know how the LED interacts with the rest of the equipment, then the experiment is a wash. You have no useful data.

1. What is pulsing an LED during muon detection?

Pulsing an LED during muon detection is a technique used in particle physics experiments to detect the presence of muons. Muons are subatomic particles that are created when cosmic rays from outer space interact with the Earth's atmosphere. By pulsing an LED, scientists can measure the duration of the light pulse and determine the speed of the muon, which can provide valuable information about the particle's energy and trajectory.

2. How does pulsing an LED help in muon detection?

Pulsing an LED helps in muon detection by providing a precise and accurate measurement of the muon's speed. This information can then be used to calculate the muon's energy and direction of travel. Pulsing an LED also allows scientists to distinguish between muons and other particles, as muons produce longer light pulses compared to other particles.

3. What is the role of an LED in muon detection?

An LED (light-emitting diode) is a type of semiconductor device that emits light when an electric current is passed through it. In muon detection, an LED is used as a light source to create a light pulse that is synchronized with the arrival of the muon. The duration of the light pulse is measured and used to determine the speed of the muon.

4. How is the LED pulsed during muon detection?

The LED is pulsed during muon detection using a circuit that controls the flow of electricity to the LED. This circuit is synchronized with the arrival of the muon and turns the LED on for a specific amount of time to create a light pulse. The duration of the light pulse is then measured and recorded for analysis.

5. What are the benefits of pulsing an LED during muon detection?

The benefits of pulsing an LED during muon detection include more precise and accurate measurements of the muon's speed, which can provide valuable information about the particle's energy and trajectory. Pulsing an LED also allows for the detection of muons in noisy environments and helps to distinguish them from other particles. Additionally, the use of LEDs in muon detection is cost-effective and relatively simple to implement compared to other detection methods.