Pure Electron Diffraction Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses the top ten most beautiful experiments of all time, with the double slit diffraction by electrons experiment being chosen as the top winner. The size of the double slit used in this experiment was in the micron range, which is smaller than the usual millimeter range used in normal Young experiments. The question is raised about whether there have been other double slit experiments using electrons of lower energies and larger slits since 1962. Additionally, there is interest in learning about the technical implications of using lower energy electrons. The conversation also touches on the use of more than two slits in electron diffraction, the Low Energy Electron Diffraction (LEED) technique, and the difficulty of performing low energy double slit experiments with electrons
lalbatros
Hello,

I just read about the the ten most beautiful experiments of all times.
The top winner was the double slit diffraction by electrons experience carried out by Claus Jönsson .

This electron diffraction experiment, I think, has been chosen as remarquable because it stages the wave-like behaviour of electrons in an experiment that is very close to the Young experiment on normal light. The Young experiment is rather popular probably because it is rather easy to perform.

But there is still a difference with the "normal Young experiment": the size of the double-slit.
The double slits used with 50keV electron was in the micron-size, while nomal Young experiments are carried out in the millimeter range of dimensions.

Therefore I have this question:

Since 1962, have there been other double slit experiments been carried out with electrons of much lower energies and therefore much larger slits?
By the way, I would eventually like to read about the technical implications such lower energies may have.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
lalbatros said:
Therefore I have this question:

Since 1962, have there been other double slit experiments been carried out with electrons of much lower energies and therefore much larger slits?
By the way, I would eventually like to read about the technical implications such lower energies may have.

thanks

What about electron diffraction using more than just 2 slits? What about electron diffraction/interference equivalent to diffraction grating? The Low Energy Electron Diffraction (LEED) technique is something that is used very often in knowing the orientation of a crystal lattice.

Zz.

I agree there many earlier evidence of the wave-like aspect of electrons.
But for kids it is not as illustrating as a two-slit experiment.
That's why I would like to know about wht has beed done that looks the closest to the optical Young slits experiments.
My purpose is not history it is more about pedagogy and fun.

Note also that low energies double slit experiments with electrons must be difficult.
I would also like to learn about this aspect.

Finally, it is not bad to look for experiences covering a broad range of parameters, not just the range that is the easiest to reach.
Clearly PEDE is routinely observed in electron microscopes.

I just realized there is currently an active thread on diffraction of macroscopic objects (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=186134)
I enjoyed very much the reference on C60 diffraction.

Actually, the question I was asking was a bit similar.
But instead of looking for macroscopic objects, I was more interrested in macroscopic slits.

My question was about electron diffraction observed with a macroscopic double-slits arrangement.
This implies of course a low energy electron beam, which can be difficult technically, specially for energies below the thermal level.

I am still interrested to know what has been done in this fields.

1. What is pure electron diffraction?

Pure electron diffraction is a type of experiment used in the field of material science to study the structure and properties of materials at the atomic level. It involves directing a beam of electrons at a sample and analyzing the diffraction patterns that are produced when the electrons interact with the atoms in the sample.

2. How is pure electron diffraction different from other diffraction techniques?

Pure electron diffraction differs from other diffraction techniques, such as X-ray or neutron diffraction, in that it uses electrons instead of photons or neutrons. This allows for higher resolution and the ability to study smaller samples, as electrons have a much smaller wavelength than photons or neutrons.

3. What types of materials can be studied using pure electron diffraction?

Pure electron diffraction can be used to study a wide range of materials, including metals, ceramics, polymers, and biological materials. However, it is most commonly used for crystalline materials, as the regular arrangement of atoms in a crystal produces distinct diffraction patterns.

4. What information can be obtained from pure electron diffraction experiments?

Pure electron diffraction experiments can provide information about the crystal structure, atomic arrangement, and lattice parameters of a material. It can also reveal the presence of defects or impurities in the crystal lattice, as well as the orientation of the crystal relative to the electron beam.

5. What equipment is needed to conduct pure electron diffraction experiments?

To conduct pure electron diffraction experiments, specialized equipment is needed, including an electron source, such as an electron microscope, and a diffractometer to analyze the diffraction patterns. Sample preparation techniques, such as thinning the sample to a few micrometers, may also be required.