Push from a Narrow Base vs Wide Base

• B
  • Thread starter FizicsAM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Push
In summary: This requires more energy and therefore you need to use more force to push something with your finger than with your palm.
FizicsAM
Hello!

When moving an object, how do you describe the changes when you push from a narrow base vs a wide base? For example, say you push something heavy with your palm vs your index finger. It feels easier to push from a palm rather than a finger even if the force from my arm is the same but I'm not sure what's going on from a physics standpoint.

Another way to think about it is a narrow column vs a wider column to support a roof.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure. ie Force per unit area.

Can you elaborate please?

Why is it easier to cut through butter with a sharp knife as opposed to with a broader block of wood? Imagine that you push with the same force in each case; what does your intuition tell you?

Likes Lnewqban
You mentioned pushing with the palm of your hand or the tip of your finger.
What is the area of your hand? Mine is about ## 50 cm^2 ##
The area of your finger tip? Mine about ##1 cm^2 ##
So whatever force I need to push, is spread over 50x as much area with my hand as with my finger.
The finger pressure is 50x as big for the same force.

Likes Delta2 and Lnewqban
FizicsAM said:
When moving an object, how do you describe the changes when you push from a narrow base vs a wide base?...
Could you explain what narrow or wide base means to you?
What type of changes do you refer to?

Likes etotheipi
FizicsAM said:
For example, say you push something heavy with your palm vs your index finger. It feels easier to push from a palm rather than a finger even if the force from my arm is the same but I'm not sure what's going on from a physics standpoint.
Part of it is pressure as already explained. The other part is that for pushing with the finger, you have to lock your finger joints using muscle forces, which act over rather short lever arms at these joints.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the difference between pushing from a narrow base and a wide base?

Pushing from a narrow base means using a smaller area of your body to generate force, while pushing from a wide base means using a larger area of your body to generate force. This can affect the amount of force you are able to generate and the stability of your body during the push.

2. Which is more effective for generating force, a narrow base or a wide base?

It depends on the specific movement and the individual's body mechanics. In general, a wide base allows for a more stable and powerful push, but a narrow base can be more effective for certain movements that require precision or quick bursts of force.

3. Does the surface being pushed off of affect whether a narrow or wide base is better?

Yes, the surface can play a role in determining the most effective base for pushing. For example, on a slippery surface, a wider base may be more effective for maintaining balance and generating force, while on a stable surface, a narrow base may be more effective for generating force.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with pushing from a narrow base or a wide base?

Pushing from a narrow base can put more strain on specific muscles and joints, which may increase the risk of injury. Pushing from a wide base may also increase the risk of injury if the individual is not able to maintain proper form and stability.

5. How can I determine which base is best for me?

The best way to determine the most effective base for pushing is through trial and error and paying attention to your body's response. Experiment with both narrow and wide bases and see which feels more natural and allows you to generate the most force with good form. It may also be helpful to consult with a fitness professional for guidance on proper form and technique.