Push Rod Suspension Geometry Question Camber Change Wheels

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with modeling the suspension of a car and the asker is seeking help and advice on how the displacement of the wheels affects the position of certain components in the suspension. The attachment shows a double wishbone suspension connected to a fixed chassis and the asker clarifies that the given angles may be inaccurate. They also mention a suggestion to read about race car suspension in an automotive forum.
Gianluca Bush
Hey,

I've spent ages trying to solve what seems to be a pretty simple geometrical problem and I was wondering if anyone could help me solve it/give me some tips. I am trying to model how the suspension of a car behaves as a result of a displacement of the wheels.

What the attachment shows is a double wishbone suspension connected to a fixed chassis - similar to these sorts of mechanics: http://rezachu.blog.com/files/2012/12/KugelPushrod.jpghttp://poisson.me.dal.ca/~dp_10_14/oldarchitecture/images/bc.bmp

The suspension arms rotate about the fixed pivots on the chassis (at points A and E) and the push rod goes on the compress a spring/damper.

So my question is: for an anti clockwise change in angle (delta) in the horizontal member, AC, how will this deflection affect the position of D, G and H - all in terms of the given geometry and angle, delta.

Apologies if I have not phrased my question clearly.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PushRodCarImages.jpg
    PushRodCarImages.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,050
Engineering news on Phys.org
FYI, the 31.28 & 41.28 angles are inaccurate.

you will build camber in Bump..it will be more camber as you have two non equal length A-arms...suggest you read Race Car Suspension class in Automotive forum

1. What is push rod suspension?

Push rod suspension is a type of suspension system used in automobiles where the suspension components are connected to the chassis via a push rod and rocker arm mechanism. This allows for more precise control over the movement of the wheels.

2. How does push rod suspension affect camber change?

Push rod suspension can affect camber change by allowing for more adjustability and control over the camber angle of the wheels. This can be beneficial for optimizing handling and tire wear in racing situations.

3. What is suspension geometry?

Suspension geometry refers to the design and arrangement of the components in a suspension system, including the angles and positions of the wheels, control arms, and other parts. This geometry can greatly affect the performance and handling of a vehicle.

4. How does push rod suspension differ from other types of suspension systems?

Push rod suspension differs from other types of suspension systems, such as MacPherson strut or double wishbone, in that it uses a push rod and rocker arm mechanism instead of control arms. This allows for more adjustability and control over the suspension movement.

5. Can push rod suspension be used on all types of vehicles?

Push rod suspension can be used on a variety of vehicles, but it is most commonly found in high-performance or racing cars. It may not be suitable for all types of vehicles as it can be more complex and expensive to design and implement compared to other suspension systems.