Pushing a box across horizontal surface

In summary: So to find the Fapplied, I can do 0.160*6.25 = Fapplied -1.215Fapplied = 2.215In summary, the magnitude of the applied force F pushing a 6.25 kg box at a constant speed of 0.400 m/s on a flat table with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.120 is 7.35N. If the box is accelerating at a rate of 0.160 m/s^2, the magnitude of F is 1N. If the experiment is performed on the moon with a gravitational acceleration of 1.62 m/s^2, the magnitude of F would be 1.215N in
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

In a physics lab experiment, a 6.25 kg box is pushed across a flat table by a horizontal force F

If the box is moving at a constant speed of 0.400 m/s and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.120, what is the magnitude of F?

What is the magnitude of F if the box is speeding up with a constant acceleration of 0.160 m/s^2?

How would your answer to part (A) change if the experiments were performed on the moon, where g_m = 1.62 m/s^2?

How would your answer to part (B) change if the experiments were performed on the moon, where g_m = 1.62 m/s^2?

For part A, I found the weight of the block which was -61.25N and since it is on a horizontal plane Fn=mg, so Fn = 61.25N

I used the mew k being 0.120 and did

(.120)(61.25N) = 7.35N

What am I supposed to do with the constant speed it gives me? I know if something moves with a constant speed/velocity, the net force is zero...

Physics news on Phys.org
The net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. In the case of constant velocity, the acceleration is 0, which says that there are NO unbalanced forces acting on the object.

Therefore, the applied force that pushes the box must be canceled out by the force of friction of an equal magnitude in the opposite direction.

Since you've calculated the force of friction, and Fnet = 0, and Fnet = Fapp - Ff, calculate the applied force!

Applied force would then be 7.35N.

Okay, onwards to the second part. What is the magnitude of F if the box is speeding up with a constant acceleration of 0.160 m/s^2?

Would I do

F = ma

F=(6.25)( 0.160 m/s^2) = 1N ?

For some reason, I think that is incorrect.

If the box is accelerating, its net force would be greater than zero.

In this case, you're right, Fnet=(6.25)( 0.160 m/s^2) = 1N.

Therefore, the NET force is 1N. However, net force also means that there is an unbalanced force acting on it, so 1N = Fapp - Friction (because since the object is accelerating, the applied force must be greater).

Since you know the value of friction, sub it into the equation 1N = Fapp - Ff.

EDIT: To find the value of the applied force.

Okay, with that clarified. The next two seem easy?

How would your answer to part (A) change if the experiments were performed on the moon, where g_m = 1.62 m/s^2?

The weight of the object would be (6.25)(1.62)=10.125N

Frictional Force would be (.120)(10.125)=1.215N

Thus,

Fnet = Fapp - Ffr

0=Fapp-1.215N

Fapplied = 1.215N

and that is our answer for part C

Part D

F=ma

F=(6.25)( 0.160 m/s^2) = 1N

1N = Fapplied - Ffr

1N=Fapplied - 1.215N

Fapplied = 2.215N

Chandasouk said:
Okay, with that clarified. The next two seem easy?

The weight of the object would be (6.25)(1.62)=10.125N

Frictional Force would be (.120)(10.125)=1.215N

Thus,

Fnet = Fapp - Ffr

0=Fapp-1.215N

Fapplied = 1.215N

and that is our answer for part C

Part D

F=ma

F=(6.25)( 0.160 m/s^2) = 1N

1N = Fapplied - Ffr

1N=Fapplied - 1.215N

Fapplied = 2.215N

Precisely.

All you have to do now is understand this concept 100% so you can find your way out of more sophisticated questions.

I guess the main thing I have to remember is F =ma is for Fnet which is the sum of all forces. In this particular problem, the verticxal axes cancel each other out so the only forces acting are the horizontals which consist of Fapplied and F-friction. Therefore i can set up like so

ma=Fapplied-Ffriction

Related to Pushing a box across horizontal surface

1. How does friction affect pushing a box across a horizontal surface?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. When pushing a box across a horizontal surface, friction can make it more difficult to move the box as it creates resistance.

2. What factors can affect the amount of force needed to push a box across a horizontal surface?

The amount of force needed to push a box across a horizontal surface can be affected by the weight and size of the box, the type of surface it is being pushed on, and the presence of any lubricants or obstacles.

3. Why does it become easier to push a box across a horizontal surface after it has been moving for a while?

As the box continues to move across the surface, the friction between the box and the surface decreases. This is due to the surface becoming smoother and any imperfections in the surface being worn down, making it easier for the box to slide.

4. Is there a maximum weight that can be pushed across a horizontal surface?

The maximum weight that can be pushed across a horizontal surface depends on the amount of force that can be applied and the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface. The greater the force and the lower the coefficient of friction, the heavier the box that can be pushed.

5. What are some strategies for reducing friction when pushing a box across a horizontal surface?

Some strategies for reducing friction when pushing a box across a horizontal surface include using lubricants, reducing the weight of the box, or using wheels or other devices to help the box slide more easily. Additionally, keeping the surface clean and free of debris can also help reduce friction.