Pushing forward a vector field

In summary, the conversation discusses the pushforward of vector fields in differential geometry and the steps taken to prove the equality of (\phi_*v)_q(f) and v_p(f\circ \phi), with an emphasis on the importance of the derivative D\phi and the relationship between the tangent spaces T_pM and T_qN.
kiuhnm
I'm learning Differential Geometry on my own for my research in ML/AI. I'm reading the book "Gauge fields, knots and gravity" by Baez and Muniain.

An exercise asks to show that "if [itex]\phi:M\to N[/itex] we can push forward a vector field [itex]v[/itex] on [itex]M[/itex] to obtain a vector field [tex](\phi_*v)_q = \phi_*(v_p)[/tex] whenever [itex]\phi(p)=q[/itex]."

I get a [itex]q[/itex] in both places:
[tex](\phi_*v)_q(f) = (\phi_*v)(f)(q) = (v(f\circ \phi))(q) = v_q(f\circ \phi)=(\phi_* v_q)(f)[/tex]

What's wrong with my steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second step (second '=' sign) is incorrect. The RHS, which is ##(v(f\circ\phi))(q)##, is undefined because ##(v(f\circ\phi))## is a vector field on ##M## (ie a map from ##M## to ##TM##), and so cannot take ##q\in N## as an argument.

I don't understand if I'm asked to find a proper definition for the pushforward of vector fields or if I can prove the equality by knowing the pushforward of a vector field at a point. I only know that [itex](\phi_*v)(f) = v(\phi^* f)[/itex] where [itex]v\in T_p M[/itex] and [itex]\phi:M\to N[/itex].

There is barely more to say than what @andrewkirk already has said. It might help to write ##q=\phi(p)## from the second step on. The overall situation is as follows:
\begin{equation*}
\begin{matrix}
TM & \overset{\phi_*=D\phi}{\longrightarrow} &TN \\
\pi_M \downarrow & & \;\; \downarrow \pi_N \\
M & \overset{\phi}{\longrightarrow} &N \\
\end{matrix}
\end{equation*}
and the task is to make this diagram commutative. The tangent vectors can be seen as directional derivatives. The maps are given by ##\phi_* : TM \rightarrow TN##
\begin{equation*}
\phi_* : T_{p}M \rightarrow T_{\phi(p)} N \\
(\phi_*(v))(f)=v(f \circ \phi)
\end{equation*}
with ##p \in M, q \in N, v \in T_pM, f \in C^\infty(N)##. So at some stage you have to switch from ##q## to ##p##, because the derivatives at ##p## are what we have, and the derivatives at ##q## are what we want to get. The very last ##\phi## in the above is there to do exactly this: reducing what we want at ##q## to what we have at ##p## because ##\phi(p)=q##.

I know that [itex](\phi_* v)_q(f) = v_p(f\circ \phi)[/itex] makes perfect sense type-wise, but I can't show that algebraically because I seem to miss some key property. I have no way of manipulating [itex]\phi_*v[/itex] because I can only do it when v is in [itex]T_p M[/itex] for some [itex]p\in M[/itex].
I have no idea what [itex]\phi_*=D\phi[/itex] means and I guess it's important.
edit: are you saying that [itex]\phi_*[/itex] is a tangent vector?

kiuhnm said:
I know that [itex](\phi_* v)_q(f) = v_p(f\circ \phi)[/itex] makes perfect sense type-wise, but I can't show that algebraically because I seem to miss some key property.
That is the key property. We don't know ##\phi_*## but we know the tangent spaces ##T_pM\; , \; T_qN## and the differentiable function ##\phi##. So this line defines what we are looking for.
I have no way of manipulating [itex]\phi_*v[/itex] because I can only do it when v is in [itex]T_p M[/itex] for some [itex]p\in M[/itex].
I have no idea what [itex]\phi_*=D\phi[/itex] means and I guess it's important.
This is the other way to look at it. It means that ##\phi_*## is the derivative ##D## of ##\phi##, a linear transformation between the tangent spaces.
edit: are you saying that [itex]\phi_*[/itex] is a tangent vector?
No. ##v## is a tangent vector - at ##p##. ##\phi_*## maps it to a tangent vector at ##q=\phi(p)##.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector to every point in a given space. This vector represents the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity, such as velocity or force, at that point.

2. How do you push forward a vector field?

Pushing forward a vector field involves transforming it from one coordinate system to another. This can be done using a mathematical operation called a pushforward, which maps the vectors from the original coordinate system to the new one.

3. Why is pushing forward a vector field useful?

Pushing forward a vector field allows us to understand how the vector field changes as we move from one coordinate system to another. This can be helpful in solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve vector quantities.

4. What is the difference between pushing forward and pulling back a vector field?

Pushing forward and pulling back are two ways of transforming a vector field. Pushing forward involves transforming the vector field from the original coordinate system to a new one, while pulling back involves transforming it from the new coordinate system to the original one.

5. How is pushing forward a vector field related to the concept of tensor fields?

Pushing forward a vector field is a specific case of the more general concept of pushing forward a tensor field. A tensor field is a mathematical object that assigns a tensor to every point in a given space, and pushing forward involves transforming this tensor field from one coordinate system to another.