Puzzling Chiral Symmetry Breaking

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of chiral symmetry breaking and its relation to isospin symmetry in the context of QCD and the mass of the pion. It is noted that the pion should be massless due to spontaneous symmetry breaking, but gains mass due to explicit symmetry breaking from both the nuclear weak force and nonzero quark masses. The discussion also touches on the role of chiral symmetry in the linear sigma model and its connection to the Yukawa-coupling between quarks and pions. Before the introduction of quarks, chiral symmetry was represented in terms of left- and right-handed nucleon fields, with the equal masses of the proton and neutron attributed to the expectation value of the sigma field.
arivero
Gold Member
Thinking aloud.

Most descriptions of chiral symmetry breaking nowadays present it as something happening in QCD. But it was defined well before of the quark theory, and then it was something related to isospin symmetry.

It is a bit puzzling because it seems as if pion mass were originated from two different forces. On one hand, nuclear weak force breaks the symmetry between protons and neutrons and induces the mass of the pion. On other hand, nonzero quark masses break the symmetry between flavours and again the pion gets mass.

In both scenarios the idea is that the pion should be massless because of the spontaneous symmetry breaking but it becomes massive because of the explicit symmetry breaking. Disturbing thing is that a pair of massive quarks up, down always break explicitly chiral symmetry but do not need to break, if they are equal mass, nuclear isospin symmetry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are a bit confused about the difference between chiral symmetry and isospin. Chiral symmetry is ##SU(2)_R\times SU(2)_L## where the factors act independently on massless right and left-handed quarks. If we give the quarks equal but nonzero mass, then the chiral symmetry is broken to its diagonal subgroup which can be identified with the ##SU(2)_I## isospin. If we give the quarks different masses then we only preserve the ##U(1)_B## baryon number. I don't know why you think that any of this is disturbing.

On energy scales alone we don't expect to explain the pion masses from the between the u and d Lagrangian masses (factor of ~30) alone, but they are within a factor of 2 or so of the QCD scale. However the splitting between the charged and neutral pions is small, so it can be related to the u-d mass splitting.

Maybe you mean to say that, that chiral symmetry is already broken along with the isospin and flavor symmetries by the Higgs mechanism. However, at lower scales the QCD vacuum generates further chiral symmetry breaking effects and even larger effective contributions to hadron masses. Then we have an effective regime where we can expand in ##\Delta m_\pi / m_\pi##, and the lowest order of this expansion is chiral EFT.

Likes vanhees71 and Greg Bernhardt
Forget the quark model. Before the quark model, people was already telling that the pion was a Goldstone boson and that it had a small mass relative to proton because it was not an exact symmetry. Which was the argument, then? Was still chiral symmetry, or just isospin?

The splitting between the pion and the proton is explained by chiral symmetry breaking. It has (almost) nothing to do with the splitting between the u and d masses, just the fact that they are nonzero. However, there are improved chiral Lagrangians that include u-d splitting at higher-orders. So these models would presumably estimate the splitting between the charged and neutral pions.

The pattern of symmetries is also the same for the chiral Lagrangians, though there the chiral symmetries ##G## are represented on a matrix ## U \rightarrow L U R^\dagger## and the preserved symmetry##H## is still the diagonal subgroup.

fzero said:
The splitting between the pion and the proton is explained by chiral symmetry breaking. It has (almost) nothing to do with the splitting between the u and d masses, just the fact that they are nonzero. However, there are improved chiral Lagrangians that include u-d splitting at higher-orders. So these models would presumably estimate the splitting between the charged and neutral pions..

I was not going so far, at the moment. To start with, I wonder how do I argue about chiral symmetry without mentioning "nonzero quark mass". Without mentioning quarks, even. I guess that it should be done by looking at weak nuclear force.

Last edited:
arivero said:
I was not going so far, at the moment. To start with, I wonder, how do I argue about chiral symmetry without mentioning "nonzero quark mass". Without mentioning quarks, even. I guess that it should be done by looking at weak nuclear force.

You don't really talk about chiral symmetry without mentioning quarks. You might refresh your memory about the linear ##\sigma##-model (see sect 5.4 here for instance) where the chiral symmetry on the matrix valued field ##U## above is tied to the Yukawa-coupling between some quarks ##\psi## and the pions ##\vec{\pi}##: ##g \bar{\psi} ( \sigma + i \vec{\pi} \cdot \vec{\tau} \gamma_5 ) \psi##. The second term is invariant under the chiral symmetry on ##U## if the quark field also transforms in a chiral way under the same symmetry group. However, the first term is not chiral invariant, since ##\sigma## is a singlet (##\langle \sigma \rangle## is the quark mass). The theory proceeds by studying the internal dynamics of the meson effective theory, so it seems like we are "forgetting" the quarks perhaps, but we are really not.

There is no weak interaction in any of this.

fzero said:
There is no weak interaction in any of this.
Well, I mean, the [itex]g_A , g_P[/itex] of eq 5.49.

fzero said:
You might refresh your memory about the linear ##\sigma##-model (see sect 5.4 here for instance) where the chiral symmetry on the matrix valued field ##U## above is tied to the Yukawa-coupling between some quarks ##\psi## and the pions ##\vec{\pi}##: ##g \bar{\psi} ( \sigma + i \vec{\pi} \cdot \vec{\tau} \gamma_5 ) \psi##.
In the material you quote, ##\psi## represents the proton and neutron, not the up and down quarks. See the text immediately after eq.(5.56).

And this is the answer to the OP's question. Before quarks, chiral symmetry was represented in terms of left- and right-handed nucleon (proton and neutron) fields. The (equal) proton and neutron masses were due to the expectation value of the ##\sigma## field.

Avodyne said:
In the material you quote, ##\psi## represents the proton and neutron, not the up and down quarks. See the text immediately after eq.(5.56).

And this is the answer to the OP's question. Before quarks, chiral symmetry was represented in terms of left- and right-handed nucleon (proton and neutron) fields.

Yes, I spaced out for a bit there, even after having read that explicitly. Indeed I wanted to clarify the connection between the action on scalars with the action on chiral fermions.

Avodyne said:
left- and right-handed nucleon

Great! that is the idea I was missing... chiral nucleons! I still need do some rumination of this thing before eating it. I still need to see which is the explicit symmetry breaking -isospin breaking is obvious answer, but I do not feel it completely satisfactory yet- and which is the spontaneous symmetry breaking... We can not make a "nucleon condensate", do we? Or is that the magic the sigma-model does?

arivero said:
Great! that is the idea I was missing... chiral nucleons! I still need do some rumination of this thing before eating it. I still need to see which is the explicit symmetry breaking -isospin breaking is obvious answer, but I do not feel it completely satisfactory yet- and which is the spontaneous symmetry breaking... We can not make a "nucleon condensate", do we? Or is that the magic the sigma-model does?

A vev for the ##\sigma## field will break chiral symmetry to isospin. Something like a pion condensate ##\langle \pi^0\rangle \neq 0## would break isospin to baryon number. I'm not sure that that's exactly how it works but there's a short discussion of how to break isospin in the sigma model at higher orders around eq (24) of http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Chiral_perturbation_theory#Higher_orders

Isospin is explicitly broken by the different up and down quark masses.

The author of that scholarpedia article is Leutwyler, who is arguably the world's leading expert on the subject. However, I don't think this article is very clear. I recommend the relevant chapters of Srednicki's QFT text instead.

Before quarks, it was understood that isospin was explicitly broken, and that the effect was small, but the source of the breaking was not known.

Last edited:
Reading Weinberg http://arxiv.org/abs/0908.1964v3

He claims a lead role in the process to shift away from weak interactions:

I had the feeling that, despite the success of the Goldberger-Treiman relation and the Adler-Weisberger sum rule, there was then rather too much emphasis on the role that the axial vector current plays in weak interactions. After all, even if there were no weak interactions, the fact that the strong interactions have an approximate but spontaneously broken SU(2) × SU(2) symmetry would be a pretty important piece of information about the strong interactions. I emphasized this point in my rapporteur’s talk on current algebra at the 1968 “Rochester” conference

And he points out some difference between pionic and quark versions of the chiral breaking
As a consequence of the inequality of d and u quark masses, chiral SU(2)× SU(2) is broken in the Lagrangian of quantum chromodynamics not only by the fourth component of a chiral four-vector, as in (6), but also by the third component of a different chiral four-vector proportional to mu − md (whose fourth component is a pseudoscalar).

This is not a "difference between pionic and quark versions of the chiral breaking". Weinberg is explaining how the up-down quark mass difference is expressed in the chiral lagrangian for pions.

Yep, bad expression on my side. Still it is interesting because from the pion point of view one can get the impression that if p and n keep having the same mass (as should happen if mass of up and down are equal, up to electromagnetic corrections) then isospin is not explicitly broken and pion should still be massless.

This is wrong. You need to read Weinberg more carefully.

fzero said:
The splitting between the pion and the proton is explained by chiral symmetry breaking. It has (almost) nothing to do with the splitting between the u and d masses, just the fact that they are nonzero. However, there are improved chiral Lagrangians that include u-d splitting at higher-orders. So these models would presumably estimate the splitting between the charged and neutral pions.
There's nothing in chiral symmetry suggesting the proton and pion mass should be degenerate. Pions are pseudo scalar particles. So the chiral partner should be a scalar particle, and indeed there's the ##\sigma## meson that has a higher mass of about 400-500 MeV. This mass difference is mostly due to the spontaneous breaking. The chiral partner of the proton is some ##N^*## resonance, and these are also not mass-degenerate with the proton, which is also mostly due to the spontaneous breaking.

1. What is chiral symmetry breaking?

Chiral symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where a system that initially exhibits symmetry between left- and right-handed components ends up with a preferred direction or handedness. This can occur in various physical systems, such as in the behavior of particles or in the structure of materials.

2. How does chiral symmetry breaking relate to puzzling phenomena?

Chiral symmetry breaking is a puzzling phenomenon because it seems to violate the principle of conservation of parity, which states that physical laws should behave the same way for left- and right-handed systems. This violation of parity conservation has led scientists to question the underlying reasons for chiral symmetry breaking.

3. What are the potential explanations for chiral symmetry breaking?

One potential explanation for chiral symmetry breaking is the Higgs mechanism, which involves a field that interacts with particles and gives them mass. Another proposed explanation is the spontaneous breaking of continuous symmetries, where the ground state of a system is not invariant under certain symmetry transformations.

4. How is chiral symmetry breaking observed in nature?

Chiral symmetry breaking has been observed in various physical systems, such as in the behavior of particles in high-energy experiments and in the structure of certain crystals and molecules. It is also thought to play a role in the early universe, as evidenced by the abundance of left-handed amino acids in living organisms.

5. What are the potential implications of chiral symmetry breaking?

Chiral symmetry breaking has significant implications in particle physics, materials science, and cosmology. Understanding the mechanisms behind it could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe, as well as potential applications in the development of new materials with unique properties.