PV diagram/ which labeled process has no temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about an ideal gas system and its movement from point A to point B to point C and back to point A. The question asks where there is no change in temperature in this process. The conversation also delves into determining whether the path is isothermal or adiabatic and the significance of internal energy as a state function. The conclusion is that both paths result in the same change in internal energy.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

I have had a question in my quiz that I don’t remember very well, but here’s a diagram and there’s no need for numbers in axis because it’s a concept- based question with no calculations.

The question asks if an ideal gas system moved from A-B-C-A. Where is the process by which there is no temperature

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
ΔU=Q-W

Where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R universal gas constant, T is the temperature, U is the internal energy, Q is heat, W is work

The Attempt at a Solution

From A to B, the pressure didn’t change, so the volume increased ( the gas expands). As indicated in the rule above, as the volume increases the temperature increases. From B to C there is a decrease in pressure, and the volume is constant. An decrease in pressure decreases the temperature. From Ato C, the volume decreased and the pressure increased, and that’s only possible if the temperature is constant or no heat is added. Am I right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 239
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no process that has "no temperature". Process CA has no temperature change.
Maybe that's what you meant, and it was just an accidental slip. But people often make mistakes in thermodynamics questions because they fail to distinguish between thermodynamic quantities (e.g. enthalpy) and changes in those quantities. Get the habit early.

Likes YMMMA
mjc123 said:
There is no process that has "no temperature". Process CA has no temperature change.
Maybe that's what you meant, and it was just an accidental slip. But people often make mistakes in thermodynamics questions because they fail to distinguish between thermodynamic quantities (e.g. enthalpy) and changes in those quantities. Get the habit early.
Yes, I meant that the temperature is constant so the change in temperature is zero.

YMMMA said:
Yes, I meant that the temperature is constant so the change in temperature is zero.
The path from C to A looks like a straight line instead of an isotherm (hyperbola) , so the temperature can change during the process, but the initial and final temperature is the same.

Likes YMMMA
Is there away to distinguish between isotherm and adiabatic of not stated? Because both are hyperbola right?

For example, in this file it says that i to Y volume increased so temperature increased. From Y to f pressure decreased, so temperature decreases. From i to f, or path X, it’s a hyperbola, but it is adiabatic or isotherm. Is it even necessary to know in this particular case? Because if it is isother, change in internal energy is zero; if it is adiabatic change in internal energy equals negative the work done by th gas to expand the volume. So, in either ways, path Y is greater.

Attachments

• F0C6FC09-C645-4909-BD65-CBAF42440E6A.jpeg
    F0C6FC09-C645-4909-BD65-CBAF42440E6A.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 250
YMMMA said:
Is there away to distinguish between isotherm and adiabatic of not stated? Because both are hyperbola right?
The equation of an isotherm is PV=const, it is a hyperbola in the P-V plane. The equation of an adiabatic process is PVγ=const, it is not a hyperbola. While PV=const is a curve symmetric to the 45°line, PVγ=const is not.
If the product of the initial volume and pressure is the same as the product of the final volume and pressure, the process can be isotherm, but not adiabatic.

Likes YMMMA
It's not possible to decide whether the path X is isothermal or adiabatic in this case, but you don't need to know in order to answer the question.
Isothermal: PV = constant (hyperbola)
Adiabatic (reversible): PVγ = constant (not hyperbola, I think)
Internal energy is a state function. What does that tell you?

ehild beat me to it!

Likes YMMMA
mjc123 said:
It's not possible to decide whether the path X is isothermal or adiabatic in this case, but you don't need to know in order to answer the question.
Isothermal: PV = constant (hyperbola)
Adiabatic (reversible): PVγ = constant (not hyperbola, I think)
Internal energy is a state function. What does that tell you?

ehild beat me to it!
That it is concerned about the value at each state but not the path. That means both paths started at i and ended at f, so both are equal

YMMMA said:
That it is concerned about the value at each state but not the path. That means both paths started at i and ended at f, so both are equal
Yes. Both paths have the same change in internal energy, irrespective of the details of the two paths.

Likes YMMMA

1. What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram, also known as a pressure-volume diagram, is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume in a thermodynamic system. It is commonly used in the field of thermodynamics to analyze and visualize the changes in pressure and volume during a process.

2. How is a PV diagram used?

A PV diagram is used to understand the behavior of a thermodynamic system, specifically how pressure and volume change during a process. It can also be used to calculate work done by a system, as the area under the curve on a PV diagram represents the work done.

3. What does the x-axis and y-axis represent on a PV diagram?

The x-axis on a PV diagram represents volume, usually in units of liters or cubic meters. The y-axis represents pressure, usually in units of Pascals or atmospheres.

4. What is the significance of a process having no temperature on a PV diagram?

A process with no change in temperature, also known as an isothermal process, is represented by a horizontal line on a PV diagram. This indicates that the temperature remains constant while the pressure and volume change. This is important in understanding the behavior of ideal gases and the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature.

5. How can you determine which labeled process has no temperature on a PV diagram?

To determine which process has no temperature change on a PV diagram, look for the horizontal line. This represents an isothermal process, which means the temperature remains constant. The other processes, such as adiabatic or isobaric, will have a curved or diagonal line on the diagram.