Are Egypt's Pyramids Built from Marine Fossils?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut
In summary: The research, which appears in the latest issue of the Journal of Archaeological Science, challenges the widely accepted theory that the pyramids were crafted of carved-out giant limestone blocks that workers carried up ramps.The study found that the tiniest structures within the inner and outer casing stones were indeed consistent with a reconstituted limestone.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2008/04/28/2229383.htm?site=science&topic=ancient

Many of Egypt's most famous monuments, such as the Sphinx and Cheops pyramid at Giza, contain hundreds of thousands of marine fossils, according to a new study.

Most of the fossils are intact and preserved in the monument walls, giving clues to how the monuments were built.

The authors suggest the stones that make up the Giza plateau, Fayum and Abydos monuments must have been carved out of natural stone as they reveal what chunks of the sea floor must have looked like over 4000 years ago, when the buildings were erected.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I didn't know that there was any doubt that some of the stones of the pyramids were cut stones. I'll have a full read of the original article later on to see if they've concluded that all of the stones are cut, and if so on what grounds.

they reveal what chunks of the sea floor must have looked like over 4000 years ago
Significantly over 4000 years I should think... :bugeye:

matthyaouw said:
I didn't know that there was any doubt that some of the stones of the pyramids were cut stones. I'll have a full read of the original article later on to see if they've concluded that all of the stones are cut, and if so on what grounds.Significantly over 4000 years I should think... :bugeye:
There was an argument that some were cast/man made.

http://www.fravahr.org/spip.php?breve258

The widely accepted theory-that the pyramids were crafted of carved-out giant limestone blocks that workers carried up ramps-had not only not been embraced by everyone, but as important had quite a number of holes.

After extensive scanning electron microscope (SEM) observations and other testing, Barsoum and his research group found that the tiniest structures within the inner and outer casing stones were indeed consistent with a reconstituted limestone. The cement binding the limestone aggregate was either silicon dioxide (the building block of quartz) or a calcium and magnesium-rich silicate mineral.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How were the ancient pyramids built with such precision?

The ancient Egyptians used a combination of advanced tools and techniques to achieve such precise cuts in the stone. They used copper and bronze tools, along with chisels and hammers, to shape the stones. They also used ropes, ramps, and levers to move and position the stones.

2. What type of stone was used to build the pyramids?

The pyramids were primarily built with limestone, although granite and sandstone were also used in some cases. These types of stone were readily available and easy to quarry, making them ideal for construction.

3. How were the massive stones lifted and placed on top of each other?

The ancient Egyptians used a combination of ramps, levers, and pulleys to lift and place the stones. They built temporary ramps made of mud bricks or compacted earth that were used to slide the stones into place. Levers and pulleys were then used to maneuver the stones into their final position.

4. How long did it take to build a pyramid?

The time it took to build a pyramid varied depending on the size and complexity of the structure. The Great Pyramid of Giza, for example, is estimated to have taken around 20 years to complete. However, smaller pyramids could have been built in a matter of years.

5. Are there any theories as to why the ancient Egyptians built pyramids?

The purpose of the pyramids is still a subject of debate among scholars. Some theories suggest that they were built as tombs for the pharaohs, while others propose that they were used for religious or astronomical purposes. It is also possible that they served a combination of these functions.