Can an Aspheric Lens Narrow the FOV for Motion Detection Systems?

Tone L
TL;DR Summary
Curious if fresnel lenses are needed for motion detection.
I want to build a motion detection system, however I want to narrow field of view. I cannot find a Fresnel lens with a narrower FOV than 30 degrees. Was looking for something around 20 degrees.

Can I use an aspheric lens to achieve this, does anyone know?

Science news on Phys.org
You just want to narrow your FOV with a pre-lens? What dimensions? Can you not just use some blocking pieces to narrow the FOV? More details and a sketch would be helpful. Thanks.

1. What is a pyroelectric sensor lens?

A pyroelectric sensor lens is a type of sensor that detects changes in temperature by converting thermal energy into electrical energy. It is made up of a pyroelectric material, such as lithium tantalate or polyvinylidene fluoride, and a lens that focuses infrared radiation onto the material.

2. How does a pyroelectric sensor lens work?

A pyroelectric sensor lens works by utilizing the pyroelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials to generate an electrical charge when exposed to a change in temperature. When infrared radiation from a heat source enters the lens, it causes a change in temperature in the pyroelectric material, resulting in a voltage being produced. This voltage is then converted into a signal that can be measured and used for various applications.

3. What are the applications of pyroelectric sensor lenses?

Pyroelectric sensor lenses have a wide range of applications, including motion detection, temperature measurement, and gas analysis. They are commonly used in security systems, automatic doors, and thermal imaging cameras. They can also be used in medical devices, such as blood glucose meters, and in environmental monitoring equipment.

4. How accurate are pyroelectric sensor lenses?

The accuracy of a pyroelectric sensor lens depends on various factors, such as the quality of the lens and the sensitivity of the pyroelectric material. Generally, they have a high accuracy for detecting changes in temperature, with some sensors having a resolution of up to 0.1°C. However, their accuracy can be affected by external factors, such as ambient temperature and humidity.

5. Are there any limitations to using pyroelectric sensor lenses?

One limitation of pyroelectric sensor lenses is that they can only detect changes in temperature and not the actual temperature of an object. They also have a limited range of detection, typically up to a few meters. Additionally, they can be affected by external factors, such as sunlight and electromagnetic interference, which can cause false readings. Proper calibration and placement of the sensor can help mitigate these limitations.