Python header question from leetcode solution

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, the code is creating a ListNode class to represent a node in a linked list and defining a function to remove the nth node from the end of the list. The first four lines are creating the class and setting up two pointers, fast and slow. The code is trying to treat an array object as a ListNode, causing an error. To fix this, the array needs to be converted into a list of ListNodes. This can be done by creating a loop that creates a ListNode instance for each item in the array and then setting the next pointers in a separate loop. An alternative approach is to use a recursive function to create the list.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am looking at the following code
Python:
class ListNode:
    def __init__(self, val=0, next=None):
        self.val = val
        self.next = next

def removeNthFromEnd(head: ListNode, n: int) -> ListNode:
    # Two pointers - fast and slow
    slow = head
    fast = head
    # Move fast pointer n steps ahead
    for i in range(0, n):
        if fast.next is None:
            # If n is equal to the number of nodes, delete the head node
            if i == n - 1:
                head = head.next
            return head
        fast = fast.next
    # Loop until fast node reaches to the end
    # Now we will move both slow and fast pointers
    while fast.next is not None:
        slow = slow.next
        fast = fast.next
    # Delink the nth node from last
    if slow.next is not None:
        slow.next = slow.next.next
    return head
if __name__ == "__main__" : 
    head = [1,2,3,4,5]
    n = 2
    print(removeNthFromEnd(head,n))
Can anyone tell me what the first 4 lines are doing? Also, when I execute this code I get the error
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "a19_removeNthNode.py", line 32, in <module>
  File "a19_removeNthNode.py", line 13, in removeNthFromEnd
    if fast.next is None:
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'next'
Anyone know what's happening?

Technology news on Phys.org
The first four lines are creating a class called listnode that has a value and a pointer to the next listnode item. listnode is one node of a linked list.

in your program you are passing in an array object and the code is trying to treat it as a listnode. See line 27 and beyond. You need to create a listnode object from the array [,2,3,4,5] to pass into the removeNthNode()

Likes FactChecker
Your code starting at line 27 needs to start by creating a list, one node at a time. Then it can try to remove nodes from that list.

Likes jedishrfu
As already noted, this part doesn't work, starting from line 28:
Python:
head = [1,2,3,4,5]
n = 2

The list above consists of integer values, but it needs to contain ListNode objects. You can do this by using a loop in which each iteration creates a ListNode instance, and then appends it to a list of these objects.
Be sure to set the val and next attributes for each ListNode instance. I did this using two separate loops.

Likes FactChecker
Mark44 said:
Be sure to set the val and next attributes for each ListNode instance. I did this using two separate loops.
Because the next node does not exist when a node is first added, there is some confusion and the 'next' property can not be set. It seems as though it would be nice for a node to have a 'prior' property or to add nodes in reverse order. A 'prior' property would allow an added node to go back to the prior node and set its 'next' property. The 'prior' pointer to the latest added node would have to be saved somewhere in order to set it when another node is added.

FactChecker said:
Because the next node does not exist when a node is first added, there is some confusion and the 'next' property can not be set.
Right, and this is why I used two loops. The first one set the val attribute for each, and set the next attribute for each to None. The next loop set the next pointers appropriately, but with the last node's next pointer remaining at None.

I thought about how this might be done using just one loop, starting from the end node. Nothing came immediately to mind, though.

Likes FactChecker
Thank you all for the great discussion!

Mark44 said:
I thought about how this might be done using just one loop, starting from the end node. Nothing came immediately to mind, though.
Python:
items = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
head = None
for value in reversed(items):
    head = ListNode(value, head)

Likes member 428835 and jedishrfu

1. What is a Python header?

A Python header refers to the first line of code in a Python file that contains a special syntax to indicate which version of Python is being used. It typically starts with "#!" followed by the path to the Python interpreter.

2. Why is a Python header necessary?

A Python header is necessary because it tells the computer which version of Python to use when running the code. This is important because different versions of Python may have slightly different syntax or features, so using the correct header ensures that the code will run correctly.

3. How do I know which Python version to use in my header?

The Python version to use in the header will depend on the specific requirements of the project or code you are working on. It is important to check the project documentation or consult with colleagues or mentors to determine the correct version to use.

4. Can I change the Python version in the header after creating a file?

Yes, the Python version in the header can be changed after creating a file. However, it is recommended to keep the same version throughout the file to avoid potential compatibility issues.

5. Is a Python header required for all Python files?

No, a Python header is not required for all Python files. It is only necessary for files that will be executed as standalone scripts. Modules or libraries that will be imported into other files do not need a header.