Python: inverse of a block matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of code to return a block matrix (Z) raised to negative one and the difference between using Z.I and Z.inv(). The speaker also mentions the availability of block matrix examples in the Sympy documentation and suggests using the eye() function to create a 3x3 identity matrix.
sifatraquib
TL;DR Summary
SymPy and NumPy are returning the BlockMatrix raised to negative one.
I am using the following code. It's returning the block matrix (Z) raised to negative one (think about inputting 22/7 in a Casio fx-991ES PLUS).

Python:
import sympy as sp

from IPython.display import display

X = sp.Matrix([[1, 1, 1], [2, 2, 2], [3, 3, 3]])

i = sp.Matrix([[1], [1], [1]])

Z = sp.BlockMatrix([[i.T*i, i.T*X], [X.T*i, X.T*X]])

Z_inv = Z.I

display(i, X, Z, Z_inv)

Could someone please tell how I can do this right now?

Note that I have used both Z.I and Z.inv(). They return the same thing.

Technology news on Phys.org
sifatraquib said:
I am using the following code.
Python:
i = sp.Matrix([[1], [1], [1]])
This isn't an identity matrix -- it's just the vector <1, 1, 1>^T.
To get the 3x3 identity matrix, use I = eye(3).

Related to Python: inverse of a block matrix

What is a block matrix in Python?

A block matrix is a matrix that is divided into smaller sub-matrices, or blocks, within the main matrix. This is often used to represent complex data or systems in a more organized and efficient manner.

How do I find the inverse of a block matrix in Python?

To find the inverse of a block matrix in Python, you can use the numpy.linalg.inv() function. This function takes in a block matrix as an argument and returns the inverse matrix.

What is the purpose of finding the inverse of a block matrix in Python?

The inverse of a block matrix is useful in solving systems of equations, as well as in data analysis and machine learning. It can also help in simplifying complex calculations and making data manipulation more efficient.

What are some common errors when finding the inverse of a block matrix in Python?

One common error is when the block matrix is not invertible, meaning it has a determinant of 0. This can occur when the sub-matrices within the block matrix are not linearly independent. Another error can occur when the dimensions of the block matrix are not compatible for inversion.

Can the inverse of a block matrix in Python be computed using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for computing the inverse of a block matrix in Python, such as using the scipy.linalg.inv() function or implementing a custom algorithm. However, the numpy.linalg.inv() function is the most commonly used and efficient method for finding the inverse of a block matrix in Python.