QFT interpretation of Hawking Radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Hawking radiation, which is when a black hole emits particles due to disturbances in the virtual particle field. The question is raised about how a black hole can only disturb the waves and not suck them in. Various sources are recommended for further exploration of the topic, including Hawking's paper and articles on virtual particles.
AdvaitDhingra
Hello,

So I was reading about Hawking radiation and I read a QFT interpretation of it. It went something like this:

A vacuum contains virtual particles (vacuum energy), which in qft can be described as waves that are out of phase and cancel each other out (matter and antimatter). I a black hole, this out-of-phase state is disturbed and the waves do not cancel each other out, thereby converting virtual particles into particles that seem to originate from the Black Hole.

My question is, how does a Black Hole merely "disturb" the waves of the field and not simply suck them in? I mean, isn't that what Black Holes do? Here is an image of what I'm talking about from a video by PBS Space Time:

(I'm 15 by the way, so please tell me if there are flaws in my explanation)

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-04-30 11-38-17.png
    Screenshot from 2021-04-30 11-38-17.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 179
Physics news on Phys.org
AdvaitDhingra said:
So I was reading about Hawking radiation and...
Reading where? You will get much better answers if we know what you've been reading.

There may not be any simple answer to your question. You can find Hawking's paper here and there is a somewhat more friendly explanation here.

Likes AdvaitDhingra
Likes AdvaitDhingra