QM: time evolution in an infinite well

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenfunctions of psi_1 and psi_2 in the Schrödinger equation without solving it directly. The first part of the question is solved by comparing coefficients with the well-known eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian in an infinite well, while the second part involves using Fourier series to find the eigenfunctions. Normalization is not necessary for psi_1, and the observable postulate holds true for both wavefunctions.
liorda

Homework Statement

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/1864/screenshothw4pdfapplicamd7.png

Homework Equations

[tex]H|\psi > = E_n |\psi >[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

About part 1 of the question: I can find the eigenfunctions of psi_1 by comparing coefficients with the well known eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian in an infinite well, using trigonometric identities, but is there any simple way to find the eigenfunctions of psi_2, without actually solving the Schrödinger equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How, exactly, did you solve for psi_1? Did you normalize?

I assume that since you used it, you're familiar with bra-ket notation, so just do [itex]\langle \psi_1 | \psi_1 \rangle=1[/itex] and similar for the second wavefunction.

I'm a little confused by the "Hamiltonian eigenfunction" saying, but I think all it means is that the observable postulate holds true and no kind of perturbation is necessary.

Hi Mindscrape, thanks for answering.

I didn't normalize psi_1, because the expression is a superposition of two eigenstates of a particle in a infinite box (it's just a sum of two sines). I compared the coefficients of [tex]sin(a) cos(b) = \frac{1}{2} \left[ sin(a+b)+sin(a-b)\right] [/tex] to the well known coefficient sqrt(2/L) for particle in a box.

as for psi_2, the main problem is to find out what are the eigenfunctions. I didn't find any way other than using Fourier series for the polynomial expression and getting a sum of sines...

Related to QM: time evolution in an infinite well

What is the concept of "time evolution" in quantum mechanics?

The concept of "time evolution" in quantum mechanics refers to the changes that occur in a quantum system over time. It describes how the state of a system evolves from one moment to the next, according to the laws of quantum mechanics.

What is an "infinite well" in quantum mechanics?

An "infinite well" is a hypothetical potential energy well that has infinitely high walls. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics as a simplified model for a particle confined to a certain region of space.

How does the time evolution of a particle in an infinite well differ from that in free space?

In free space, a particle's state can change freely over time. However, in an infinite well, the particle is confined to a specific region and can only take on certain discrete energy levels. This results in a more constrained and periodic time evolution for the particle.

What is the significance of the energy levels in an infinite well?

The energy levels in an infinite well represent the possible states that a particle can have within the well. Each energy level corresponds to a specific wavefunction and has a unique energy value. These energy levels play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in confined systems.

Can the time evolution of a particle in an infinite well be described classically?

No, the time evolution of a particle in an infinite well cannot be described classically. The laws of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, are fundamentally different from classical mechanics. In classical mechanics, particles can have any energy value and can move freely, while in quantum mechanics, particles are restricted to certain discrete energy levels and their behavior is described by wavefunctions.