Quadratic function profits

In summary, the bus company can maximize profit on the ski trip by running the bus with 8 empty seats. The cost function is C(x)=225+30x, the revenue function is R(x)=60+5x, and the profit function is P(x)=R(x)-C(x). The correct formulation for the revenue function is 60+5x, where x represents the number of passengers.
hallowon

Homework Statement

It Costs a bus company $225 to run a minibus on a ski trip, plus $30 per passenger. the bus has seating for 22 passengers, and the company charges $60 per fare if the bus is full. For each empty seat, the company has to increase ticket price by $5. How many empty seats should the bus run with to maximize profit from this trip?

Homework Equations

vertex form
factored form
standardform
cost function
revenue function
profit function

The back of the book says 8 empty seats

The Attempt at a Solution

my equations
C(x)=(225+30x)
R(x)=(60-5x)
P(x)=R(x)-C(x)
So far I've tried doing the equations numerus ways, I've tried multiplying the terms together, doesn't work I think it gave me 3 empty seats. Tried using the profit functions above, still doesn't give me 8 empty seats. I'm guessing it is either one of my functions that is incorrect but I am not sure which

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You formulated the Rate ( R(x) ) incorrectly. View the passenger rate as Dollars Per Passenger. The company charges 60 dollars per fare if bus is full, or bus takes 22 passengers. How much money is that? 60 dollars per fare multiplied by 22 fares. Now, what happens for each decrement of 1 passenger? This is where you became stuck(?).
Why did you subtract instead of add? Best I could tell, you want R(x)=60+5x, because "increase ticket price by $5 for each empty seat". x=[count of passengers]

one.

To maximize profit, we need to find the number of empty seats that will result in the highest value for the profit function. In this case, the profit function is given by P(x) = R(x) - C(x), where R(x) represents the revenue function and C(x) represents the cost function.

We can rewrite the cost function as C(x) = 225 + 30x, where x represents the number of passengers. Similarly, the revenue function can be written as R(x) = 60x - 5x^2. This is because for each empty seat, the company has to increase the ticket price by $5, resulting in a decrease of $5x in revenue.

To find the maximum value of the profit function, we can use the vertex form, which is given by P(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the vertex. In this case, h represents the number of empty seats and k represents the maximum profit.

To find the value of h, we can use the factored form of the profit function, which is given by P(x) = -5(x-8)(x-14). This means that the vertex occurs at x = (8+14)/2 = 11. Therefore, the maximum profit is achieved when there are 11 passengers on the bus, leaving 22-11 = 11 empty seats.

However, the question asks for the number of empty seats, not the number of passengers. So we need to subtract the number of passengers from the total number of seats, which is 22. Therefore, the bus should run with 22-11 = 11 empty seats to maximize profit. This is different from the answer given in the book, which could be due to a mistake in the calculations or a different approach used.

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a mathematical function that can be written in the form of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are coefficients and x is the independent variable. It is a type of polynomial function that forms a parabola when graphed.

2. How are quadratic functions used to calculate profits?

Quadratic functions can be used to model profit in business by representing the relationship between quantity sold and profit earned. The function can be used to find the maximum profit by determining the vertex of the parabola, which represents the optimal quantity to sell.

3. How do you find the vertex of a quadratic function?

The vertex of a quadratic function can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the function. This x-value is then substituted into the function to find the corresponding y-value, which represents the maximum or minimum point on the graph.

4. Can quadratic functions be used for other types of data besides profits?

Yes, quadratic functions can be used to model various real-world phenomena, such as projectile motion, population growth, and the height of an object thrown in the air. Any data that can be represented by a parabolic curve can be modeled using a quadratic function.

5. What is the difference between linear and quadratic functions?

The main difference between linear and quadratic functions is the degree of their equations. Linear functions have a degree of 1 and form a straight line when graphed, while quadratic functions have a degree of 2 and form a parabola. Additionally, quadratic functions have a higher rate of change compared to linear functions.