Calculating Overbooking Probability for a Plane with Independent Passengers

In summary, the probability that all passengers arriving for the flight will get a seat is 0.997, calculated as the complement of the probability of not having enough seats, which is 0.003. This is based on the binomial distribution where 260 passengers are booked for a flight that can only accommodate 255 passengers, with a known 5% chance of no-shows.
TheSodesa

Homework Statement

A travel agency knows from experience, that 5% of passengers who have booked a ticket will not show up for the flight. Therefore the company sells 260 tickets for a plane that can only take 255 passengers.

What is the probability that all of the passengers arriving for the flight get a seat, assuming they arrive independently of each other?

Correct answer: ##0.997##

Homework Equations

The binomial distribution mass function:

\begin{equation}
f(x) = {n \choose k}p^{k}(1-p)^{n-k}
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

The passengers arrive independently of each other, and if ##x## passengers show up, ##n-x## passengers don't. Therefore we can use the binomial distribution to model the situation.

Now the company overbooks by 5, therefore there are 5 seats that may have two people, leaving the other without a seat. Therefore ##n=10##. Every person will have a seat if out of these 10 at most 5 show up.

Let ##X = \text{ the number of people that show up out of the 10}## and ##A = \text{ a person will show up}##. Then ##p = P(A) = 0.95 \Rightarrow (1-p) = P(\overline{A}) = 0.05##
, and
\begin{align*}
P(X \leq 5)
&= f(0) + f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + f(4) + f(5)\\
&= {10 \choose 0}(0.95)^{0}(0.05)^{10} + {10 \choose 1}(0.95)^{1}(0.05)^{9}\\
&+ {10 \choose 2}(0.95)^{2}(0.05)^{8} + {10 \choose 3}(0.95)^{3}(0.05)^{7}\\
&+ {10 \choose 4}(0.95)^{4}(0.05)^{6} + {10 \choose 5}(0.95)^{5}(0.05)^{5}\\
&= 0.0000636898314453125
\end{align*}

Not quite what I was expecting. What am I missing? Do I need to take into account the other passengers on the plane somehow?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I solved it.

I did have to take all of the other passengers into account. If ##X = \text{ the number of passengers on the plane}## and ##0 \leq X \leq 255##, all passengers will get a seat. You could brute force the calculation by writing a script with a for-loop that sums ##f(0), f(1), ... , f(255)## togethter. The easier way, if you need to do this by hand, is to calculate the probability for ##256 \leq X \leq 260## and take its complement.

I'd already written the Matlab script, so I chose that route.

Last edited:
TheSodesa said:

Homework Statement

A travel agency knows from experience, that 5% of passengers who have booked a ticket will not show up for the flight. Therefore the company sells 260 tickets for a plane that can only take 255 passengers.

What is the probability that all of the passengers arriving for the flight get a seat, assuming they arrive independently of each other?

Correct answer: ##0.997##

Homework Equations

The binomial distribution mass function:

\begin{equation}
f(x) = {n \choose k}p^{k}(1-p)^{n-k}
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

The passengers arrive independently of each other, and if ##x## passengers show up, ##n-x## passengers don't. Therefore we can use the binomial distribution to model the situation.

Now the company overbooks by 5, therefore there are 5 seats that may have two people, leaving the other without a seat. Therefore ##n=10##. Every person will have a seat if out of these 10 at most 5 show up.

Let ##X = \text{ the number of people that show up out of the 10}## and ##A = \text{ a person will show up}##. Then ##p = P(A) = 0.95 \Rightarrow (1-p) = P(\overline{A}) = 0.05##
, and
\begin{align*}
P(X \leq 5)
&= f(0) + f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + f(4) + f(5)\\
&= {10 \choose 0}(0.95)^{0}(0.05)^{10} + {10 \choose 1}(0.95)^{1}(0.05)^{9}\\
&+ {10 \choose 2}(0.95)^{2}(0.05)^{8} + {10 \choose 3}(0.95)^{3}(0.05)^{7}\\
&+ {10 \choose 4}(0.95)^{4}(0.05)^{6} + {10 \choose 5}(0.95)^{5}(0.05)^{5}\\
&= 0.0000636898314453125
\end{align*}

Not quite what I was expecting. What am I missing? Do I need to take into account the other passengers on the plane somehow?

Your answer is way too big! If the number who do not show up is ##X##, then ##X \sim \text{Bin}(260,0.05)##, because any of the 260 ticketed passengers could be one of those who do not show.

Ray Vickson said:
Your answer is way too big! If the number who do not show up is ##X##, then ##X \sim \text{Bin}(260,0.05)##, because any of the 260 ticketed passengers could be one of those who do not show.

Yeah, I kind of realized that just now. I would have had to calculate 256 probabilities by hand...

I replied to my own post above with the solution.

TheSodesa said:
Yeah, I kind of realized that just now. I would have had to calculate 256 probabilities by hand...

I replied to my own post above with the solution.

You would not need to compute 256 probabilities by hand or any other way. The probability of not having enough seats is ##P(X \leq 4) ##, where ##X \sim \text{Bin}(260,0.05)##.

Ray Vickson said:
You would not need to compute 256 probabilities by hand or any other way. The probability of not having enough seats is ##P(X \leq 4) ##, where ##X \sim \text{Bin}(260,0.05)##.

I do see what you mean.

Let ##X \sim \text{Bin}(260,0.05)##. Then

\begin{align*}
P(X \leq 4)
&= f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)+f(4)\\
&= {260 \choose 0}(0.05)^{0} (0.095)^{260} + {260 \choose 1}(0.05)^{1} (0.095)^{259}\\
&+ {260 \choose 2}(0.05)^{2} (0.095)^{258} + {260 \choose 3}(0.05)^{3} (0.095)^{257}\\
&+ {260 \choose 4}(0.05)^{4} (0.095)^{256}\\
&= 0.00316142309\\
&\approx 0.003
\end{align*}

Now the correct answer listed in the assignment paper is the complement of this: ##0.997##.
Thanks for the little correction. I see my mistake now.

What is the probability of being on an overbooked plane?

The probability of being on an overbooked plane depends on several factors, such as the airline's overbooking policy, the size of the aircraft, and the time of year. Generally, the probability is quite low, around 1-2%, but it can vary significantly.

How do airlines determine how many seats to overbook on a plane?

Airlines use a variety of methods to determine how many seats to overbook on a plane. These methods often involve statistical analysis and historical data to predict the number of no-shows and cancellations for a specific flight. They also take into account factors such as the route, time of year, and type of ticket purchased.

What happens if a plane is overbooked?

If a plane is overbooked, the airline will typically ask for volunteers willing to give up their seats in exchange for compensation, such as a flight voucher or cash. If there are not enough volunteers, the airline may involuntarily deny boarding to some passengers. In this case, the airline is required to provide compensation and alternate transportation for those passengers.

Can I request a refund if I am denied boarding due to an overbooked plane?

If you are denied boarding due to an overbooked plane, you are entitled to compensation from the airline. This can include a refund of your ticket, alternate transportation, and monetary compensation depending on the length of the delay. It is important to know your rights as a passenger in these situations.

Is it possible to avoid being on an overbooked plane?

While it is not always possible to avoid being on an overbooked plane, there are some steps you can take to increase your chances of not being affected. These include booking your flight early, choosing a less popular flight time, and checking in online as soon as possible. You can also consider booking a higher fare class, as these seats are less likely to be oversold.