Can a Golfer's Shot Be Modeled by a Quadratic Equation?

In summary: Instead, here is a summary of the conversation:In summary, the conversation discussed a golfer hitting a tee shot into the rough and the ball stopping approximately 120 yards from the green. The golfer then decides to try to hit the ball over a tree located 40 yards from the ball. The path of the shot can be modeled by the equation h = -0.01875x^2 + 2.25x, where h is the height of the ball and x is the horizontal distance in yards from where the second shot is taken. The conversation also included three questions: 1) How tall must the tree be to stop the ball? 2) Does the golfer hit the green with the shot? 3)
Abdullah Qureshi
A golfer hits a tee shot into the rough and the ball stops approximately 120 yds from the green. There is a tree located 40 yds from the ball, directly in the path of the shot. The golfer decides to try to hit the ball over the tree. The path of the shot can be modeled by the equation h = -0.01875x2 + 2.25x, where h is the height of the ball and x is the horizontal distance in yards from where the second shot is taken. (6T/I, 2C)

i) How tall must the tree be to stop the ball?

ii) Does the golfer hit the green with the shot?

iii) What is the maximum height of the ball and when does it occur

Mathematics news on Phys.org
h = -0.01875x^2 + 2.25x
in future, use the caret symbol (^) to indicate an exponent

i) This one is simple ... what value should you use for x?

ii) let x = 120 ... what do you get for h? what does that value tell you?

iii) the solution to ii) should help you determine the max height

You understand that ''like" really means "Blast, Skeeter got to it before I did!"

skeeter said:
h = -0.01875x^2 + 2.25x
in future, use the caret symbol (^) to indicate an exponent

i) This one is simple ... what value should you use for x?

ii) let x = 120 ... what do you get for h? what does that value tell you?

iii) the solution to ii) should help you determine the max height
What is the answers

Abdullah Qureshi said:
What is the answers

You really need to show some effort by posting your work on each question, that way we can provide feedback as to where you are right or wrong.

I will not provide "answers".

What is a quadratic relation?

A quadratic relation is a mathematical relationship between two variables that can be represented by a quadratic equation, where one variable is the square of the other.

What is the general form of a quadratic relation?

The general form of a quadratic relation is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable.

What is the difference between a linear and a quadratic relation?

A linear relation has a constant rate of change, while a quadratic relation has a variable rate of change. In other words, the slope of a linear relation is constant, while the slope of a quadratic relation changes as the independent variable changes.

What are the key features of a quadratic relation?

The key features of a quadratic relation are the vertex, axis of symmetry, and the direction of opening of the parabola. The vertex is the highest or lowest point on the parabola, the axis of symmetry is the line that divides the parabola into two symmetrical halves, and the direction of opening can be either upward or downward.

How do you graph a quadratic relation?

To graph a quadratic relation, plot a few points by substituting different values for x in the equation and then connect the points with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can find the vertex and axis of symmetry and use them to plot the parabola.