Final velocity of a projectile

In summary, the golfer's ball leaves the club at a speed of 14.0 m/s at an angle of 40.0° above the horizontal. It rises to its maximum height and then falls down to the green. The ball's peed is found just before it lands.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

A golfer hits a shot to a green that is elevated 3.0 m above the point where the ball is struck. The ball leaves the club at a speed of 14.0 m/s at an angle of 40.0° above the horizontal . It rises to its maximum height and then falls down to the green. Ignoring air resistance, find the peed of the ball just before it lands.

Homework Equations

##v_x = v_{0x} = \left \| v_0 \right \|\cos\theta##
##v_y^2 = v_{0y}^2 + 2ay##
##v = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

We begin with ##v = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}## since the magnitude of the final velocity is what we desire. Thus, we need to find ##v_x## and ##v_y##. Therefore, we use ##v_x = v_{0x} = \left \| v_0 \right \|\cos\theta## since the velocity in the x-direction does not change from the initial (we're neglecting air resistance). Thus ##v_x = (14 ~m/s)\cos40^{\circ} = 10.7~m/s##. Now,we find ##v_y##, the final velocity in the y-direction. Since time is not metioned, we'll use ##v_y^2 = v_{0y}^2 + 2ay##, specifically ##v_y = -\sqrt{v_{0y}^2 + 2ay}##. Thus ##v_y = -\sqrt{v_{0y}^2 + 2ay} = -\sqrt{(v\sin\theta)^2 + 2(-9.8~m/s^2)(3~m - 0~m)} = -4.71~m/s##. Therefore, the magnitude of the final velocity should be ##v = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2} = \sqrt{(10.7~m/s)^2 + (-4.71~m/s)^2} = 11.7~m/s ##. Is this the correct answer? If not what am I doing wrong and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
##v_y^2 = v_{0y}^2 + 2ay##
You might want to write this as ##v_y^2 = v_{0y}^2 + 2a\Delta y##

(You have the change in height being positive.)

Another way to double check your answer is to use energy principles.

Doc Al said:
Did you mean ##v_{0y}^2 = v_{y}^2 + 2a\Delta y##?

haruspex said:
Did you mean ##v_{0y}^2 = v_{y}^2 + 2a\Delta y##?
No, I think I had it correct.

I believe he's using ##v_{0y}## to represent the y-component of the initial velocity.

Doc Al said:
No, I think I had it correct.

I believe he's using ##v_{0y}## to represent the y-component of the initial velocity.
Sorry - my mistake.

Doc Al said:

(You have the change in height being positive.)

Another way to double check your answer is to use energy principles.
So is the final answer correct or incorrect? I did utilize a change in y since the final position is 3m and the initial is 0m; the change in that is just 3m. Is my approach correct or am I missing something?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I did utilize a change in y since the final position is 3m and the initial is 0m; the change in that is just 3m.
Oops... I just realized that I misread the problem. The green was 3m higher, not the tee. So your approach looks fine to me. I'll check the answer in a minute.

Yes, your answer is correct.

Doc Al said:
Yes, your answer is correct.
Awesome! Thanks.

1. What is the definition of final velocity?

The final velocity of a projectile is the speed and direction at which it is traveling at the end of its motion. It takes into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and time elapsed.

2. How is final velocity calculated?

Final velocity can be calculated using the equation: vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

3. Does the mass of a projectile affect its final velocity?

Yes, the mass of a projectile can affect its final velocity. Objects with greater mass require more force to accelerate, so they may have a lower final velocity compared to objects with less mass.

4. What factors can affect the final velocity of a projectile?

The final velocity of a projectile can be affected by factors such as air resistance, gravity, and the angle and initial velocity at which it is launched.

5. Can the final velocity of a projectile ever be greater than its initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible for the final velocity of a projectile to be greater than its initial velocity. This can occur if the projectile experiences a net acceleration in the direction of its motion, such as when it is launched at an upward angle or when it is affected by external forces like air resistance.