Quality Latex editors for Windows?

In summary, if you want to use a standalone LaTeX editor on Windows 10, the best option is TexStudio or TexMaker with AHK.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, doing some research for free Latex editors for Windows 10. I did an online search but would like to know the experiences of people with Latex editors, if any.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm perfectly fine with TeXStudio
https://texstudio.org/

Of course in addition to AutoHotKey which speeds my typing by individually set shortcuts. I find it so convenient, that I even type what I would formerly had written on paper. I filled a dozen pages over the weekend with a lot of examples, many of them calculated while typing.

Likes Klystron, robphy and WWGD
I use TexMaker.

If you are looking for an IDE at the level of Intellij IDEA, then unfortunately there isn't one for LaTeX. However, TexStudio or TexMaker combined with AHK as suggested by @fresh_42 is fine.

Likes Auto-Didact and WWGD
I use TeXnic Center https://www.texniccenter.org/

This is a standalone pop up which has optional rows of menu icons across the top (you can turn on/off the ones you want etc).

You have to have an underlying TeX or LaTeX distribution also separately installed, and the one I use is called MikTeX https://miktex.org/

steps
1) install latest MikTeX on your Windows 10 or whatever version
2) install TeXnic Center on your Windows 10 or whatever version

Now, you click on Open New file and you get a blank which you fill in with your own LaTeX commands, and you hit LaTeX->PDF across the top row (among others like LaTeX->PS, or DVI, ...). Make sure that you do NOT have open the same name PDF in your PDF reader or else the TeXnic Center build will crash. But if you delete the same name PDF in your PDF reader (but keep something else open in that PDF reader so you don't have to start a new PDF reader each time, and if you have a PDF reader open in other Windows10 desktops, then if your LaTeX is in Desktop 2 but your only other open PDF reader is in Desktop 3, then when you try to view the new PDF you just compiled in 2 it will open in Desktop 3 PDF reader. This is solved if you have a PDF reader open in 2 with a different PDF file in 2. This is a Windows10 feature they don't see as a bug yet.)

Likes WWGD
I use MikTex + WinEdt and very happy about it.

Eugene.

Likes WWGD

1. What is a quality LaTeX editor for Windows?

A quality LaTeX editor for Windows is a software program that allows users to create and edit documents using the LaTeX typesetting language. It typically includes features such as syntax highlighting, document templates, and live preview to make writing and formatting documents easier and more efficient.

2. What are the benefits of using a LaTeX editor for Windows?

Using a LaTeX editor for Windows can offer several benefits, including a more professional and consistent layout for documents, the ability to easily create complex mathematical equations, and the option to collaborate with others on a document in real-time.

3. Are there any free LaTeX editors for Windows?

Yes, there are several free LaTeX editors available for Windows, such as Texmaker, TeXstudio, and TeXworks. These editors offer many of the same features as paid versions, making them a great option for those on a budget.

4. Can I customize the interface of a LaTeX editor for Windows?

Yes, many LaTeX editors for Windows allow users to customize the interface to their liking. This may include changing the colors, font sizes, and layout of the editor to suit personal preferences.

5. How do I choose the right LaTeX editor for my needs?

Choosing the right LaTeX editor for your needs will depend on factors such as your level of experience with LaTeX, the features you require, and your budget. It's a good idea to try out a few different editors to see which one you feel most comfortable using before committing to a paid version.