Quantifiers with integers and rational numbers

In summary, when the quantifier ranges over the integers, there are examples where a proposition is true, such as the existence of prime numbers, but when it ranges over rational numbers, the same proposition may be false, such as the minimum distance between two distinct numbers.
ver_mathstats
Give an example where a proposition with a quantifier is true if the quantifier ranges over the integers, but false if it ranges over rational numbers.

I do not know where to go about when answering this, I know that an integer can be a rational number, for example 5 is an integer but can also be turned into 5/1 thus becoming a rational number.

However I do not know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
There could be many examples. One example that I can think of is that:
For any two numbers x,y∈A (such that x<y) there exists a number z∈A such that x<z<y

The above statement will be true for rational numbers, but false for natural numbers and integers.

I think we can write it (somewhat informally) as something like:
∀x∀y∃z[(x<y)→(z>x and z<y)]

ver_mathstats said:
Give an example where a proposition with a quantifier is true if the quantifier ranges over the integers, but false if it ranges over rational numbers.
exists: There exist prime numbers in ##\mathbb{Z}## but none in ##\mathbb{Q}##.
for all: The minimum distance between two distinct integers is one, whereas this is not true for rationals.

1. What are quantifiers in relation to integers and rational numbers?

Quantifiers are mathematical symbols that indicate the quantity or amount of a particular element in a given set. In the context of integers and rational numbers, quantifiers are used to specify the range or extent of numbers within a set.

2. What is the difference between quantifiers for integers and rational numbers?

The main difference between quantifiers for integers and rational numbers is the type of numbers they refer to. Quantifiers for integers are used to specify whole numbers, while quantifiers for rational numbers are used to specify numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

3. How are quantifiers used to express inequalities with integers and rational numbers?

Quantifiers can be used to express inequalities by indicating the range of numbers that satisfy the given inequality. For example, the quantifier "for all" (∀) can be used to express an inequality that is true for all numbers in a set, while the quantifier "there exists" (∃) can be used to express an inequality that is true for at least one number in a set.

4. Can quantifiers be used in conjunction with other mathematical operations?

Yes, quantifiers can be used in conjunction with other mathematical operations. For example, quantifiers can be used to specify the range of numbers that satisfy a given equation or to indicate the conditions under which a certain operation is valid.

5. How do quantifiers help in solving mathematical problems involving integers and rational numbers?

Quantifiers provide a concise and precise way of expressing mathematical concepts and relationships. They help in solving problems by allowing us to specify the conditions under which a given statement or equation is true, and by providing a systematic way of evaluating the truth value of a statement for different values of variables.