Quantitative Meaning of Ricci Tensor

In summary, the Ricci tensor is a mathematical term that describes the deviation in volume as a space is affected by gravity. It is only relevant if the geodesic belongs to an irrotational, shear-free time-like geodesic congruence. Otherwise, other factors such as vorticity and shear will also play a role in the evolution of the volume of the geodesic ball.
flyinjoe
Hello,

I am studying general relativity right now and I am very curious about the Ricci tensor and its meaning. I keep running into definitions that explain how the Ricci tensor describes the deviation in volume as a space is affected by gravity. However, I have yet to find any quantitative explanation of this definition. How can volume differences be calculated with the Ricci tensor? What role does the Ricci tensor play in the volume changes?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
flyinjoe said:
I am studying general relativity right now and I am very curious about the Ricci tensor and its meaning. I keep running into definitions that explain how the Ricci tensor describes the deviation in volume as a space is affected by gravity. However, I have yet to find any quantitative explanation of this definition. How can volume differences be calculated with the Ricci tensor? What role does the Ricci tensor play in the volume changes?
In general there's no such relationship. Maybe you're talking about a cosmological situation, in which the expansion rate of the universe can be related to the matter density? Please give us a quote/reference where you found this.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response. In this paper:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0401099v1.pdf
the author writes, "So in roughly the same sense that the Riemann tensor governs the evolution of a vector or a displacement parallel propagated along a geodesic, the Ricci tensor governs the evolution of a small volume parallel propagated along a geodesic."

That is not true in general. It is only true if the geodesic belongs to an irrotational, shear-free time-like geodesic congruence in which case the claim follows from the Raychaudhuri equation. Otherwise the vorticity and shear of the congruence will both contribute to the evolution of the volume of the geodesic ball, in which case the Ricci tensor won't be the only thing governing the evolution.

Ok, excellent. So what, if anything, is the geometric or physical meaning of the Ricci tensor if it has no general relationship with volume?

You can interpret it that way, but you have to be careful.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/node3.html

The rate at which a ball BEGINS to shrink, not just shrink, for one thing. Secondly, notice Baez's "fine print". This interpretation only works in a local reference frame in which the ball is initially at rest.
The mathematical justification can be found here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/node10.html

Just a little index-gymnastics directly from Einstein's equation, so I don't think it's in question.

1. What is the quantitative meaning of Ricci tensor?

The Ricci tensor is a mathematical object that is used to represent the curvature of a space. It is a measure of how much a space is curved at a specific point, and it is used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe gravity.

2. How is the Ricci tensor calculated?

The Ricci tensor is calculated using the components of the Riemann curvature tensor, which describes the curvature of a space in terms of its metric, or distance function. The Ricci tensor is obtained by contracting the Riemann curvature tensor along two of its indices.

3. What is the significance of the Ricci tensor in physics?

The Ricci tensor plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is the current prevailing theory of gravity. It is used to calculate the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of space-time to the distribution of matter and energy.

4. How is the Ricci tensor related to the Ricci scalar?

The Ricci tensor and the Ricci scalar are related through the Einstein field equations. The Ricci scalar is obtained by taking the trace of the Ricci tensor, which means summing up all of its components. The Ricci scalar is a measure of the overall curvature of a space, while the Ricci tensor provides a more detailed description of the curvature at each point.

5. Can the Ricci tensor be used to study other phenomena besides gravity?

Yes, the Ricci tensor has applications in various fields of physics, such as cosmology, black hole physics, and quantum field theory. It is also used in mathematics, particularly in the study of differential geometry and Riemannian manifolds.