Quantitative Research Methods

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a company wants to decrease incidents of offensive interpersonal behavior at work. They plan to do this by putting employees in a specific department through a training course and measuring their offensiveness before and after the course. The company also wants to know if this sample of employees engages in a significantly different number of incidents compared to the overall organization, and whether the training was effective in reducing offensiveness. They also want to know if the training was more effective for managers or employees. Appropriate tests and a confidence interval can be used to analyze the data and determine if the training was successful.
MWR
How do I go about analyzing this scenario? Consider the following: You’ve been hired by a company who is interested in finding a way to decrease incidents of offensive interpersonal behavior at work. The company has identified one department that seems to have a big problem with offensive interpersonal behavior. The company hopes to resolve this problem by putting all of the employees in this department through a training course. The company measures their offensiveness (on a scale of 1 indicating no offensiveness to 20 indicating highly offensive) both before (pre) and after (post) the training course. The company also provided the rank of the employees, with 1 = manager and 2 = employee.

Family Name Pre-Training Post-Training Rank
Taub 6 3 2
Hadley 5 5 2
Cameron 10 9 1
House 17 15 1
Wilson 2 3 1
Cuddy 12 10 1
Foreman 15 13 1
Volakis 6 4 2
Chase 9 4 2

1. Before they begin their analysis, the company wants to know whether the sample of employees in this study had different levels of offensiveness before the study compared to other individuals in the organization. For the purposes of this study, the overall organization should be considered the population of interest. The company knows that in this organization, employees typically engage in an average of 7 incidents of offensive interpersonal behavior at work with a standard deviation of 3 incidents. Does this sample of employees engage in a significantly different number of incidents of offensive interpersonal behavior before the study (Pre-training) than employees in the organization?

How to calculate the appropriate test:
The company is interested in testing your intervention on a department who has significantly more incidents of interpersonal offensiveness than in the overall organization. Should they proceed with their analysis using this department? Why or why not?
2. The company wants to know whether the training was able to reduce offensiveness for its employees. Based on the data provided above, determine whether offensiveness after the training (Post-Training) was lower than offensiveness before the training (Pre-Training).

If appropriate, how to calculate a confidence interval:
Report a formal conclusion:
3. The company wants to know whether the training was more effective for managers than it was for employees. Based on the data provided above, determine whether there were lower incidents of offensiveness after training (Post-Training) for managers than there were for employees (Rank).

State a formal test of the hypothesis:4. One of the researchers has expressed some concern that the results from #3 might have been influenced by individual differences in this sample. Is this a reasonable concern? Why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there. This is going to be a problem with lots of steps so you might not get help with every part until you show us where you are stuck.

Assuming that the 1-20 scale is actually counting "incidents of offensive interpersonal behavior at work" then you can do a t-test to determine if the averages of the sample is statistically different than the whole company.

Jameson said:
Hello there. This is going to be a problem with lots of steps so you might not get help with every part until you show us where you are stuck.

Assuming that the 1-20 scale is actually counting "incidents of offensive interpersonal behavior at work" then you can do a t-test to determine if the averages of the sample is statistically different than the whole company.

So the appropriate test is the t-test, or z-test.

Here is what I have:

x numbers represent pre-training.
y numbers represent post-training.

Sx = 82
Mx = 9.11

Sx^2 = 24.11

Sy = 66
My = 7.33

Sy^2 = 20.75

After calculating the square root of Sx^2 and Sy^2, I obtain t = 0.16, which is statistically significant.

Am I on the right track?

(1) is asking if the group they chose to look at pre-training differ from the company's numbers in general. The only issue I see is that we don't know how many people are in the company. When calculating a 2 sample t-test or z-test, we need the sample size of both groups. I think something is missing here or they want you to do another test...

Or perhaps they want you to do a one-sample t-test to see if the sample average is statistically different than 7. If so you could do it like this:

\(\displaystyle T_0=\frac{\bar{x}-\mu_0}{\frac{s}{\sqrt{n}}}=\frac{\bar{x}-7}{\frac{s}{\sqrt{n}}}\)

As for comparing before and after, you need to use the formula for a 2 sample t-test with unequal variances:

\(\displaystyle T_0=\frac{\bar{x}_1-\bar{x}_2}{\sqrt{\frac{s_1^2}{n_1}+\frac{s_2^2}{n_2}}}\)

Jameson said:
(1) is asking if the group they chose to look at pre-training differ from the company's numbers in general. The only issue I see is that we don't know how many people are in the company. When calculating a 2 sample t-test or z-test, we need the sample size of both groups. I think something is missing here or they want you to do another test...

Or perhaps they want you to do a one-sample t-test to see if the sample average is statistically different than 7. If so you could do it like this:

\(\displaystyle T_0=\frac{\bar{x}-\mu_0}{\frac{s}{\sqrt{n}}}=\frac{\bar{x}-7}{\frac{s}{\sqrt{n}}}\)

As for comparing before and after, you need to use the formula for a 2 sample t-test with unequal variances:

\(\displaystyle T_0=\frac{\bar{x}_1-\bar{x}_2}{\sqrt{\frac{s_1^2}{n_1}+\frac{s_2^2}{n_2}}}\)

I believe it is asking if the pre-training sample average is different from the rest of the organization, which is 7.

(9.11-7)/(1.74 x 2.65) = (2.11)/(4.61) = 0.46.

I am a little confused as to how to use this information to determine the answer.

Ok so here is our data set for the pre-training sample:

$\{6,5,10,17,2,12,15,6,9\}$

I get an average of $9.11$ and a standard deviation of $4.1$. So this would be the test statistic:

\(\displaystyle T_0=\frac{9.11-7}{\frac{4.1}{\sqrt{9}}}\)

Once you simplify that you go to a t-table or online calculator with 8 degrees of freedom and find the two sided probability.

Jameson said:
Ok so here is our data set for the pre-training sample:

$\{6,5,10,17,2,12,15,6,9\}$

I get an average of $9.11$ and a standard deviation of $4.1$. So this would be the test statistic:

\(\displaystyle T_0=\frac{9.11-7}{\frac{4.1}{\sqrt{9}}}\)

Once you simplify that you go to a t-table or online calculator with 8 degrees of freedom and find the two sided probability.

So with that I get 1.54. And a two-sided probability of 0.2?

MWR said:

I also got 1.54 but how did you get .2 for the probability? I would use a website like this one to find it.

Also, to do this part and the rest of the problem you need to be familiar with setting up a null hypothesis. Does this sound familiar? In this part we have:

$H_0: \mu=7$, $H_1: \mu \ne 7$.

When can reject the null hypothesis and when can't we?

MWR said:

Also, I keep getting 4.91 as the SD with a variance of 24.11.

- - - Updated - - -

Jameson said:
I also got 1.54 but how did you get .2 for the probability? I would use a website like this one to find it.

Also, to do this part and the rest of the problem you need to be familiar with setting up a null hypothesis. Does this sound familiar? In this part we have:

$H_0: \mu=7$, $H_1: \mu \ne 7$.

When can reject the null hypothesis and when can't we?
Now I get 0.16. Thus not making it significant. In that case, we reject the null hypothesis, correct?

The opposite. When we have a p-value greater than 0.05 (sometimes we set this threshold at other values, but standardly it's 0.05) then we fail to reject the null hypothesis. This doesn't mean we prove the null hypothesis, we just says it's possible or feasible the means are actually equivalent.

I didn't calculate the variance by hand to be honest because no one does in practice. I used this site and confirmed it on Wolfram Alpha. Are you diving by 9 or by 8? Remember you divide by $n-1$ when calculating the sample S.D..

Jameson said:
The opposite. When we have a p-value greater than 0.05 (sometimes we set this threshold at other values, but standardly it's 0.05) then we fail to reject the null hypothesis. This doesn't mean we prove the null hypothesis, we just says it's possible or feasible the means are actually equivalent.

I didn't calculate the variance by hand to be honest because no one does in practice. I used this site and confirmed it on Wolfram Alpha. Are you diving by 9 or by 8? Remember you divide by $n-1$ when calculating the sample S.D..
Makes perfect sense, yes. So how do we tie this into answering number 1?

Do we provide our answer relative to the p-value being greater than 0.05 indicating that, yes, this sample, or department, engages in more interpersonal behavior than the rest of the organization?

MWR said:
Makes perfect sense, yes. So how do we tie this into answering number 1?

Do we provide our answer relative to the p-value being greater than 0.05 indicating that, yes, this sample, or department, engages in more interpersonal behavior than the rest of the organization?

No, we completed a hypothesis test with $H_0: \mu=7$ and from our results we can conclude that it's plausible the sample average is the same as the company average, meaning the sample is probably ok to use for the rest of the experiment. If we had a statistically different average then one could argue that the sample wouldn't lead to useful results in the whole company.

Jameson said:

So this would be my answer to number 1 (I did it by hand so the numbers are slightly different).

Pre-training scores: 6, 5, 10, 17, 2, 12, 15, 6, 9 = 82/9 = 9.11 mean

(6 – 9.11)^2 = 9.67
(5-9.11)^2 = 16.89
(10-9.11)^2 = 0.79
(17-9.11)^2 = 62.25
(2-9.11)^2 = 50.55
(12-9.11)^2 = 8.35
(15-9.11)^2 = 34.69
(6-9.11)^2 = 9.67
(9-9.11)^2 = 0.01
(192.87/9-1) = 192.87/8 = 24.11. The square root of 24.11 is 4.91, the sample standard deviation.

2.11/1.63 = 1.29. A T score of 1.29 and DF of 8 gives a p value of 0.12.
When we have a p-value greater than 0.05, then we fail to reject the null hypothesis. This doesn't mean we prove the null hypothesis, we just says it's possible or feasible that the means are actually equivalent.

Regarding the second part of question 1, the answer is no because the department represents the average of the organization.

I made a mistake when copying over the S.D. - sorry. You are right, it is 4.91. I missed the middle "9".

Anyway, that looks good to me and it how I would answer it. It's always good to have the context of what you are covering in your class but I feel this is an appropriate approach.

Jameson said:
I made a mistake when copying over the S.D. - sorry. You are right, it is 4.91. I missed the middle "9".

Anyway, that looks good to me and it how I would answer it. It's always good to have the context of what you are covering in your class but I feel this is an appropriate approach.

Thank you, Jameson, for your help. I greatly appreciate it. Regarding the second part of the question, would we do another t-test to show the differences between pre-training and post-training?

Hi again.

So now you'll be comparing two sample groups, thus be conducting a two-sample t-test. Since the variances are not equal you will use this formula.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle T_0=\frac{\bar{x}_1-\bar{x}_2}{\sqrt{\frac{s_1^2}{n_1}+\frac{s_2^2}{n_2}}}\)

Calculate the mean and sample standard deviation for each group then plug that data in. The tricky part of doing this is the degrees of freedom is a horribly messy formula, but that will come later. See what you get when you do this.

Also, what do you think $H_0$ will be for this test? Previously we had $H_0: \mu=7$ because we were testing one sample against a set value, but now we are testing two samples against each other.

1. What is the goal of quantitative research?

The goal of quantitative research is to gather and analyze numerical data in order to understand and explain a phenomenon. This type of research focuses on finding patterns and relationships among variables, and is often used to make predictions or test hypotheses.

2. What are the advantages of using quantitative research methods?

There are several advantages to using quantitative research methods, including the ability to collect and analyze large amounts of data quickly, the ability to make generalizations and predictions based on the data, and the ability to replicate and verify results. This method also allows for precise measurement and statistical analysis, which can provide more objective and reliable results.

3. What are some common types of quantitative research methods?

Some common types of quantitative research methods include surveys, experiments, and content analysis. Surveys involve collecting data from a large number of participants through questionnaires or interviews. Experiments involve manipulating variables and measuring their effects on an outcome. Content analysis involves analyzing and quantifying textual or visual data, such as media or historical documents.

4. What are some potential limitations of using quantitative research methods?

One potential limitation of quantitative research methods is that they may oversimplify complex phenomena by reducing them to numerical data. This method also relies heavily on statistical analysis, which may be subject to biases or errors. Additionally, quantitative research may not provide a complete understanding of a phenomenon, as it does not typically consider individual experiences or perspectives.

5. How is quantitative research different from qualitative research?

Quantitative research differs from qualitative research in several ways. While quantitative research focuses on numerical data, qualitative research focuses on non-numerical data, such as words or images. Quantitative research also tends to use larger sample sizes and statistical analysis, while qualitative research often involves smaller samples and more in-depth analysis. Additionally, quantitative research aims to be objective and generalizable, while qualitative research often seeks to understand individual experiences and perspectives.