Quantity of an Element in Mixture by Adding another Element

In summary: So, initial mixture has the same amount of vinegar as the final mixture.initially vinegar=...final mixture=...initially vinegar=...final mixture=...So, initial mixture has the same amount of vinegar as the final mixture.
zak100

Homework Statement

A mixture of 12 ounces of vinegar and oil is 40% vinegar, where all of the measurements are by weight. How many ounces of oil must be added to the mixture to produce a new mixture that is only 25 percent vinegar?
I don’t know how to solve it.

2. Homework Equations

May be unitary method

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Quantity of oil added = x
12 ounces = 40% vinegar

1 ounce = 0.4/12---(1)

12 + x ounce = 25% vinegar

1 ounce =. 25/(12 + x)---(2)

0.4/12 = .25/(12 + x) (Equating 1 & 2)

But book has different solution.

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
zak100 said:

Homework Statement

A mixture of 12 ounces of vinegar and oil is 40% vinegar, where all of the measurements are by weight. How many ounces of oil must be added to the mixture to produce a new mixture that is only 25 percent vinegar?
I don’t know how to solve it.

Homework Equations

May be unitary method

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Quantity of oil added = x
12 ounces = 40% vinegar

1 ounce = 0.4/12---(1)

12 + x ounce = 25% vinegar

1 ounce =. 25/(12 + x)---(2)

0.4/12 = .25/(12 + x) (Equating 1 & 2)

But book has different solution.

Zulfi.
What do you mean by the statement:
" 12 ounces = 40% vinegar " ?​

What you could do is to determine the amount of vinegar (in ounces) in the initial solution and in the final solution.

Hi,
Thanks for your response.
What do you mean by the statement:
" 12 ounces = 40% vinegar " ?
By the above, i mean that 12 ounces contain 40% vinegar.
What you could do is to determine the amount of vinegar (in ounces) in the initial solution and in the final solution.

This is what i am doing. I am trying to determine vinegar in one ounce of solution. Maybe my method is not correct.
Please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,

By the above, i mean that 12 ounces contain 40% vinegar.This is what i am doing. I am trying to determine vinegar in one ounce of solution. Maybe my method is not correct.
Please guide me.

Zulfi.
"12 ounces = 40% vinegar" is meaningless mathematically speaking.

Clearly, each ounce of the initial mixture has 0.4 ounces of Vinegar. I doubt that this fact is useful.

So, I repeat:

How much vinegar ( in ounces ) is in the initial mixture?

How much vinegar ( in ounces ) is in the final mixture?

Also: Please respond to your thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/selling-price-for-an-item-with-a-markup-and-discount.918917/

zak100 said:
Hi,

By the above, i mean that 12 ounces contain 40% vinegar.This is what i am doing. I am trying to determine vinegar in one ounce of solution. Maybe my method is not correct.
Please guide me.

Zulfi.

I will repeat also what SammyS asked you, perhaps in a bit more detail. You have a 12 ounce mixture of oil and vinegar, which is 40% vinegar. How much vinegar and how much oil are present in that bottle of mixture? By "how much" I mean actual numbers of ounces of each.

Now you add x ounces of oil. How many ounces of mixture do you have now? How many ounces of vinegar do you have now? You ought to be able to take it from there.

Please note that if you want people to "guide you" you need to pay attention to what they tell you! If you are asked a question, you should answer it. Doing that is how you will learn, because people ask you sensible questions for very good reasons. Many helpers have years of experience teaching the subject and know what hurdles students can face, and know how to help them overcome those hurdles.

Likes SammyS
Hi,
How much vinegar and how much oil are present in that bottle of mixture?
Vinegar is 40% and oil should be 60%. But i don't think that we should discuss about the quantity of oil. In one post in this forum, i was asked to concentrate on thinks mentioned in the question.

Now you add x ounces of oil. How many ounces of mixture do you have now?

After adding x ounces of oil we have mixture = 12+x ounces
How many ounces of vinegar do you have now?
vinegar = 0.25 of (12 + x) ounces
Please note that if you want people to "guide you" you need to pay attention to what they tell you! If you are asked a question, you should answer it.
My friend i am paying attention. Kindly realize the limitations.
Doing that is how you will learn, because people ask you sensible questions for very good reasons.
Yes my friend i know, question-answer method is a very useful method of teaching and it was invented by Aristotle.
You ought to be able to take it from there.
I think we have to equate the initial and final mixtures but how can do that:
initially vinegar= 0.4 of 12 ounces
finally vinegar= 0.25 of (12 + x) ounces

because one is 40% quantity of vinegar and the other is 25% quantity of vinegar.
I don't think it would be correct to use the quantity of oil for equating the initial and final solutions because they have not stated it.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,

because one is 40% quantity of vinegar and the other is 25% quantity of vinegar.
I don't think it would be correct to use the quantity of oil for equating the initial and final solutions because they have not stated it.

Zulfi.
No vinegar was added. No vinegar was removed.

Why do you have a problem with equating the total amount of vinegar in the initial mixture with the total amount of vinegar in the final mixture?

Likes scottdave
zak100 said:
Hi,

Vinegar is 40% and oil should be 60%. But i don't think that we should discuss about the quantity of oil. In one post in this forum, i was asked to concentrate on thinks mentioned in the question.
After adding x ounces of oil we have mixture = 12+x ounces

vinegar = 0.25 of (12 + x) ounces

My friend i am paying attention. Kindly realize the limitations.

Yes my friend i know, question-answer method is a very useful method of teaching and it was invented by Aristotle.

Zulfi.

I asked you how much vinegar is present, in actual ounces. What is the answer? Is it 10 ounces or 2 ounces or 4.6 ounces, or what? Are you refusing to answer because you do not really understand percentages and how to use them? If so, just tell us!

Anyway, the question said you had a mixture of oil and vinegar, so whatever is not vinegar is oil, and that means that you CAN get the amount of oil as well; but as you say, you may not need it.

No more guidance from me until you deal with my questions.

Hi,
I asked you how much vinegar is present, in actual ounces. What is the answer? Is it 10 ounces or 2 ounces or 4.6 ounces, or what? Are you refusing to answer because you do not really understand percentages and how to use them? If so, just tell us!
Thanks for your interest in my problem. First of all i can't understand what you want me to tell you. Now i would tell you. Secondly there is an unknown x in the final solution. Any way i would try to answer your question.
Initial = 4.8 ounces
Final = 5.5 + 0.25x

Why do you have a problem with equating the total amount of vinegar in the initial mixture with the total amount of vinegar in the final mixture?

In my opinion their quantity is not equal. One is 40% of 12 ounces and other is 25% of (12+x) ounces.

Please let me know whether i am right or wrong time. Sorry for disturbing you with incorrect answer.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in my problem. First of all i can't understand what you want me to tell you. Now i would tell you. Secondly there is an unknown x in the final solution. Any way i would try to answer your question.
Initial = 4.8 ounces
Final = 5.5 + 0.25x
That is not correct for the final amount.(of vinegar).

In my opinion their quantity is not equal. One is 40% of 12 ounces and other is 25% of (12+x) ounces.

Please let me know whether i am right or wrong time. Sorry for disturbing you with incorrect answer.

Zulfi.
The final amount of vinegar is: 25% of (12+x), Right ?

Change 25% to its decimal equivalent, and distribute. Then equate the two expressions and solve.

zak100 said:
Hi,

Initial = 4.8 ounces
Final = 5.5 + 0.25x

Zulfi.

Yes, they ARE equal if you choose the correct value of x. That is the entire point of the problem!

Last edited:
How many oz of vinegar is present in the original mixture?

If you add x oz of oil to the mixture, in terms of x, how many oz of mixture do you now have?

In terms of x, what is the fraction of vinegar present in the new mixture? (This is also equal to 0.25, right?)

What is the value of x?

Hi,
How many oz of vinegar is present in the original mixture? 40% of 12 ounces
If you add x oz of oil to the mixture, in terms of x, how many oz of mixture do you now have? 12 + x
In terms of x, what is the fraction of vinegar present in the new mixture? (This is also equal to 0.25, right?): Confusing?? How can you equate 25% to 40%.Initial = 4.8 ounces
Final = 3 + 0.25x ounces
Maybe this is the reason:
We are not considering a mixture now. We are considering homogenous solution consisting of only vinegar. So we can equate :
Okay my friends, we have spent too much time on this.
I would accept your method.
God bless you people.

Zulfi.

$$\frac{4.8}{12+x}=0.25$$

Chestermiller said:
$$\frac{4.8}{12+x}=0.25$$

This is far too helpful, and looks like it gives the OP the solution. He has received help over and over and over again, and he ignores it, so I think we should just let him receive his deserved mark on the question (that is, 0).

zak100 said:
A mixture of 12 ounces of vinegar and oil is 40% vinegar

You really should be able to translate a sentence like this in mathematical equations, or you'll never be able to do these kinds of problems.
if o is the amount of oil present initallly and v the amount of vinegar, you can get 2 equations from this sentence

Ray Vickson said:
This is far too helpful, and looks like it gives the OP the solution. He has received help over and over and over again, and he ignores it, so I think we should just let him receive his deserved mark on the question (that is, 0).
Thanks Ray. It was a (probably bad) judgment call. In post #13, he had correctly determined the amount of vinegar in the solution (4.8) and he also correctly determined the final total amount of solution (x + 12). He just couldn't make the connection to the final fraction of vinegar (0.25). Anyway, you're right. I probably gave him too much info. Mea culpa.

zak100 said:
Hi,
How many oz of vinegar is present in the original mixture? 40% of 12 ounces
If you add x oz of oil to the mixture, in terms of x, how many oz of mixture do you now have? 12 + x
In terms of x, what is the fraction of vinegar present in the new mixture? (This is also equal to 0.25, right?): Confusing?? How can you equate 25% to 40%.Initial = 4.8 ounces
Final = 3 + 0.25x ounces
Maybe this is the reason:
We are not considering a mixture now. We are considering homogenous solution consisting of only vinegar. So we can equate :
Okay my friends, we have spent too much time on this.
I would accept your method.
God bless you people.

Zulfi.
Being a mixture or solution does not change how much vinegar is present. As said by others, the number of ounces of vinegar has not changed (none added or removed). A percentage is a ratio of two quantities.
Let M0 be the mass of vinegar, and M1 be the initial mass (12 ounces). So a ratio of 40% (or 40/100 = 0.4) is equal to M0 / M1 = M0 / (12 ounces). You can solve for M0 (which you did to be 4.8 ounces).

The next ratio is 25% (or 0.25). This ratio can be set up with the same amount of vinegar (it didn't change) and the new mass of the total. Then you can solve for the amount which was added.

1. How do you determine the quantity of an element in a mixture by adding another element?

The quantity of an element in a mixture can be determined by using the principle of conservation of mass. This means that the total mass of all the elements in a mixture before and after adding another element remains the same. By knowing the initial and final masses of the mixture, the quantity of the original element can be calculated.

2. What is the process of adding another element to determine the quantity of an element in a mixture?

The process involves adding a known quantity of another element to a mixture containing the original element. The mixture is then thoroughly mixed and the total mass of the mixture is measured. The added element is known as the tracer element and its quantity is used to calculate the quantity of the original element in the mixture.

3. Can the quantity of an element in a mixture be determined by adding multiple elements?

Yes, the quantity of an element in a mixture can be determined by adding multiple elements. The same principle of conservation of mass is used, but the calculation becomes more complex as the number of elements increases. Each added element must have a known quantity and the final mass of the mixture must be measured.

4. Are there any limitations to using this method to determine the quantity of an element in a mixture?

Yes, there are limitations to using this method. It assumes that the added element does not react with any of the other elements in the mixture and that it is evenly distributed throughout the mixture. If these conditions are not met, the results may not be accurate.

5. Is this method commonly used in scientific research?

Yes, this method is commonly used in scientific research to determine the quantity of an element in a mixture. It is particularly useful in environmental studies and industrial processes where the presence of certain elements needs to be monitored and measured accurately.