Quantizing the complex Klein-Gordon field

In summary: Any hints would be greatly appreciated!Well I noticed that with what I have, I can rewrite the fields in the way most online sources I’ve seen have them (with e.g the field phi being a sum of a annihilation operator of a certain type and a creation operator of a different type). These new operators end up being linear combinations of the scalar field’s operators.I just don’t see why I was able to get the correct Hamiltonian the other way. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!
Nauj Onerom
I'm self-studying QFT and attempting exercise 2.2 on Peskin & Schroeder. First off, I'm a bit confused on the logic the authors use in the quantization process. They first expand the fields in terms of these ##a_{\vec{p}},a_{\vec{p}}^\dagger## operators which, if I understand correctly, is simply because the Klein-Gordon equation looks like the harmonic oscillator equation for each fixed ##\vec{p}##. Though, I'm not sure where the exponentials come from exactly. They then impose the commutation relations ##[a_{\vec{p}},a_{\vec{p}'}^\dagger] = (2\pi)^3\delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}-\vec{p}')## by analogy with the harmonic oscillator and use that to find a nice expression for the Hamiltonian. Now my first concrete question is: what do they mean exactly by "find the commutation relations" in part (a)? Like I said, it seems like they simply impose those relations on the creation and annihilation operators and those determine the commutation relations between ##\phi## and ##\pi##. My approach to this was to treat the complex field as ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\phi_1 + i\phi_2)##, where the ##\phi_i## real scalar fields. I assumed that these real fields could be expressed in terms of their individual creation and annihilation operators as in the book and used those expressions to confirm the commutation relations were as expected. I was then able to do part (b) and get the correct expression for the Hamiltonian in terms of creation and annihilation operators, but when I check other sources, they seem to take a very different approach, which makes me feel that I may have oversimplified the problem. Any hints to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nauj Onerom said:
I'm self-studying QFT and attempting exercise 2.2 on Peskin & Schroeder. First off, I'm a bit confused on the logic the authors use in the quantization process. They first expand the fields in terms of these ##a_{\vec{p}},a_{\vec{p}}^\dagger## operators which, if I understand correctly, is simply because the Klein-Gordon equation looks like the harmonic oscillator equation for each fixed ##\vec{p}##. Though, I'm not sure where the exponentials come from exactly. They then impose the commutation relations ##[a_{\vec{p}},a_{\vec{p}'}^\dagger] = (2\pi)^3\delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}-\vec{p}')## by analogy with the harmonic oscillator and use that to find a nice expression for the Hamiltonian. Now my first concrete question is: what do they mean exactly by "find the commutation relations" in part (a)? Like I said, it seems like they simply impose those relations on the creation and annihilation operators and those determine the commutation relations between ##\phi## and ##\pi##. My approach to this was to treat the complex field as ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\phi_1 + i\phi_2)##, where the ##\phi_i## real scalar fields. I assumed that these real fields could be expressed in terms of their individual creation and annihilation operators as in the book and used those expressions to confirm the commutation relations were as expected. I was then able to do part (b) and get the correct expression for the Hamiltonian in terms of creation and annihilation operators, but when I check other sources, they seem to take a very different approach, which makes me feel that I may have oversimplified the problem. Any hints to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
I think what you have got is the charged boson model which I have only seen in
Elements of Advanced Quantum Theory , A.L. Ziman, Cambridge (2002) page 28.

Mentz114 said:
I think what you have got is the charged boson model which I have only seen in
Elements of Advanced Quantum Theory , A.L. Ziman, Cambridge (2002) page 28.
Well I noticed that with what I have, I can rewrite the fields in the way most online sources I’ve seen have them (with e.g the field phi being a sum of a annihilation operator of a certain type and a creation operator of a different type). These new operators end up being linear combinations of the scalar field’s operators.I just don’t see why I was able to get the correct Hamiltonian the other way.

1. What is the complex Klein-Gordon field?

The complex Klein-Gordon field is a mathematical concept used in quantum field theory to describe a scalar field with both real and imaginary components. It is often used to model particles with spin 0, such as the Higgs boson.

2. What does it mean to quantize the complex Klein-Gordon field?

Quantization is the process of turning a classical field into a quantum field, where the field values are represented by operators that act on quantum states. In the context of the complex Klein-Gordon field, it involves replacing the classical field with a quantum field and finding the corresponding Hamiltonian operator.

3. Why is quantizing the complex Klein-Gordon field important?

Quantizing the complex Klein-Gordon field allows us to study the behavior of particles with spin 0 in a quantum framework. This is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of these particles and their interactions with other particles.

4. What are some challenges in quantizing the complex Klein-Gordon field?

One challenge in quantizing the complex Klein-Gordon field is dealing with divergences in the calculations. These can arise when trying to calculate physical quantities, and they require special techniques to be properly addressed and eliminated.

5. How is the quantization of the complex Klein-Gordon field related to other quantum field theories?

The quantization of the complex Klein-Gordon field is a fundamental step in the development of quantum field theories, as it serves as a building block for other theories such as quantum electrodynamics and the Standard Model. It also shares many mathematical concepts and techniques with other quantum field theories.