Quantum Cell Phones - Investigating the Possibilities

In summary, quantum cell phones are not feasible because they require an entangled particle in a Cell Phone tower in order to work, and they would quickly dissipate any information which was sent via the particle.
Willis666
Quantum "Cell Phones?"

Earlier today, I was thinking, what if we could use Quantum mechanics to have lighting fast cell phone access? How it could work is you could have one particle in the Cell Phone tower (which could now be just a room.) That was entangled with the particle in your cell phone. Then, when you get a call, the callers particle vibrates, rotates, etc. in a way that tells the cell phone tower to move your cell phones particle in such a way that then moves the particle in your cell phone. You cell phone picks up the movement, you can answer it, and go on with your conversation (there could be some sort of system where if a particle moves one way, its a 1, and if it moves another way, its a 0, and use a binary system.)

I've been thinking about this all day, and now that it's on paper, I can see its flaws.

Physics news on Phys.org

Willis666 said:
Earlier today, I was thinking, what if we could use Quantum mechanics to have lighting fast cell phone access? How it could work is you could have one particle in the Cell Phone tower (which could now be just a room.) That was entangled with the particle in your cell phone. Then, when you get a call, the callers particle vibrates, rotates, etc. in a way that tells the cell phone tower to move your cell phones particle in such a way that then moves the particle in your cell phone. You cell phone picks up the movement, you can answer it, and go on with your conversation (there could be some sort of system where if a particle moves one way, its a 1, and if it moves another way, its a 0, and use a binary system.)

I've been thinking about this all day, and now that it's on paper, I can see its flaws.

It's most basic flaw is that it presumes that information can be sent via entangled pairs, which it cannot.

What phinds said.

Not to mention that coherent states very rapidly decohere in the environment. Any entanglement wouldn't last long enough to be useful.

Okay thanks. I was wondering why I never heard anything about it, through my understanding at the time, It seemed kind of obvious.

Related to Quantum Cell Phones - Investigating the Possibilities

What is a quantum cell phone?

A quantum cell phone is a hypothetical device that would use quantum mechanics principles to transmit and process information. It would have the potential to greatly increase the speed and efficiency of communication compared to traditional cell phones.

How would a quantum cell phone work?

A quantum cell phone would use quantum bits (qubits) instead of traditional bits to store and process information. Qubits can exist in multiple states at once, allowing for much faster communication and processing. It would also use quantum entanglement to instantly transmit information over large distances.

What are the potential benefits of quantum cell phones?

The use of quantum mechanics in cell phone technology could greatly increase communication speeds, reduce energy consumption, and enhance security. It could also open up new possibilities for advanced applications such as quantum computing and teleportation.

Are quantum cell phones currently available?

No, quantum cell phones are still a theoretical concept and are not available on the market. However, there is ongoing research and development in this field, and some companies have started to explore the possibilities of quantum cell phone technology.

What are the challenges in developing quantum cell phones?

The main challenges in developing quantum cell phones include finding practical methods for creating and controlling qubits, ensuring the reliability and stability of quantum systems, and integrating quantum technology into existing communication infrastructure. Additionally, there are still many unknowns and uncertainties in the field of quantum mechanics that need to be addressed before quantum cell phones can become a reality.