Quantum Coherence in Transmembrane Proteins?

In summary: Maybe you'll find something new and interesting.In summary, the conversation was about the topic of quantum coherence in biological systems, specifically in transmembrane protein association in lipid bilayers. The speaker, a physics/math undergrad, was asking for information or literature on this topic and expressed concerns about the limited research available. Some potential sources were mentioned, but it was noted that coherence may not play a significant role in biological systems. It was also encouraged to continue exploring the topic.
uzbyte
I am presently in a Biophysics lab, and am formulating a project wrt transmembrane protein association in lipid bilayers (based on the 4 stage model of membrane protein folding, i.e. partitioning, folding, insertion, association).

I was wondering if anyone on here has heard of any decent literature (or is knowledgeable on the topic personally) on quantum coherence in such a system? I am a physics/math undergrad but have floated to the more biophysical realm as of late, and I know there are some articles on coherence in biomolecules, but I am having difficulty finding anything concrete--and I don't want to waste too much time on this aspect if there simply isn't enough literature out there right now for me to move forward (this isn't a large scale funded project).

Thank you in advance for any information/links/musings you can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
uzbyte said:
I am presently in a Biophysics lab, and am formulating a project wrt transmembrane protein association in lipid bilayers (based on the 4 stage model of membrane protein folding, i.e. partitioning, folding, insertion, association).

I was wondering if anyone on here has heard of any decent literature (or is knowledgeable on the topic personally) on quantum coherence in such a system? I am a physics/math undergrad but have floated to the more biophysical realm as of late, and I know there are some articles on coherence in biomolecules, but I am having difficulty finding anything concrete--and I don't want to waste too much time on this aspect if there simply isn't enough literature out there right now for me to move forward (this isn't a large scale funded project).

Thank you in advance for any information/links/musings you can offer.

As far as I know quantum coherence is not a factor in biological systems. Roger Penrose that it was involved in thinking, but few agree. Mark Tegmark wrote that such a thing was very unlikely because at biological temperatures coherence is too short-lived to have an effect on anything else.

But I'm no expert on this and would not like to discourage you from looking into it.

1. What is quantum coherence in transmembrane proteins?

Quantum coherence in transmembrane proteins refers to the phenomenon in which quantum states of electrons and protons within the protein are synchronized and able to exchange energy and information rapidly, allowing the protein to function effectively.

2. How does quantum coherence contribute to protein function?

Quantum coherence allows for efficient energy transfer and information processing within transmembrane proteins, allowing them to perform their biological functions, such as transporting molecules across cell membranes and detecting external signals.

3. What techniques are used to study quantum coherence in transmembrane proteins?

Some common techniques used to study quantum coherence in transmembrane proteins include nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectroscopy, and time-resolved spectroscopy.

4. Can quantum coherence be observed in living cells?

While quantum coherence has been observed in isolated transmembrane proteins, it is still a topic of debate whether it can be maintained in living cells due to the complex and dynamic environment within cells. Some studies have suggested that quantum coherence may play a role in biological processes, but further research is needed to fully understand its role in living systems.

5. How does quantum coherence in transmembrane proteins relate to quantum biology?

Quantum biology is a growing field of research that explores the role of quantum mechanics in biological processes. The study of quantum coherence in transmembrane proteins is a key area of research within quantum biology, as it is believed to play an important role in the functioning of these essential biological molecules.