Quantum Computing masters with Theoretical physics background

In summary, the conversation discusses the criteria for choosing a masters program in quantum computing from a physics background. The criteria include a quantum computing group with experimental realizations and industrial ties, a strong theoretical physics department, a good chance of fully-funded scholarship, a good ranking, and prospects for a theoretical physics PhD or an industrial job. The individual is interested in both theoretical physics and quantum computing and hopes to have the option to choose between academia or industry after completing their masters. They also mention a summer school that may be of interest and share a link to a list of top quantum computing masters and PhD programs in 2022. The conversation also clarifies that the individual is not yet a PhD student and the date of the list is June 6
Admiralibr123
I want to do a masters related to quantum computing from a physics background and my criteria for the place is:

1. A quantum computing group with experimental realizations and
industrial ties.
2. A strong theoretical physics department with research in fundamental physics
3. A good chance of fully-funded scholarship, given research experience in undergrad and good enough GRE and Physics GRE scores for international students
4. Good enough ranking
5. Prospects for a theoretical physics PhD (academia on scholarship) or pivoting to industrial job if needed.

The thought behind it is that, I have interest in theoretical physics and quantum computing, I must be able to choose academia for theoretical physics or industry making QC upon the completion of masters.

Physics news on Phys.org
anuttarasammyak said:
I happened to find an announcement of summer school
https://www.ggi.infn.it/showevent.pl?id=436
which might be of your interest.
"The school is addressed to PhD students in quantum information science, particle physics and condensed matter" I am not a Phd student yet. Haven't even done my masters :( Thanks for sharing tho.

Likes anuttarasammyak
You need to specify where in the world you would be willing to study.

1. What is quantum computing and how is it related to theoretical physics?

Quantum computing is a field of computing that utilizes principles of quantum mechanics to perform operations and solve problems. It is related to theoretical physics because the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, are used to manipulate and process information in a quantum computer.

2. What are the advantages of having a theoretical physics background when pursuing a quantum computing masters?

A theoretical physics background provides a strong foundation in mathematical and computational skills, as well as a deep understanding of quantum mechanics. This knowledge is crucial for understanding and developing quantum algorithms and programming quantum computers.

3. Are there any specific courses or prerequisites that are recommended for a quantum computing masters with a theoretical physics background?

Yes, courses in quantum mechanics, linear algebra, and computer programming are highly recommended for a quantum computing masters with a theoretical physics background. It is also beneficial to have knowledge in areas such as quantum information theory and quantum algorithms.

4. What career opportunities are available for individuals with a quantum computing masters and a theoretical physics background?

There are various career opportunities available for individuals with a quantum computing masters and a theoretical physics background. These include positions in research and development, data analysis, software engineering, and consulting in industries such as technology, finance, and defense.

5. What are some current research topics in the field of quantum computing that may be of interest to individuals with a theoretical physics background?

Some current research topics in quantum computing include quantum error correction, quantum simulation, and quantum machine learning. Individuals with a theoretical physics background may also be interested in research on quantum computing applications in fields such as quantum chemistry and materials science.