Quantum Computing "Not" Operation - Mathematics Steps For Deriving It

In summary, the conversation discusses a video lecture on quantum computing, specifically the derivation of the NOT operation using the matrix U_Not. The speaker demonstrates how to write U_Not in exponential form and then expands it using a series expansion. This leads to the result of U_Not being equal to -i(cos(pi/2)I + isin(pi/2)X), where X is the matrix with a "0" and "1" outside of the cos and sin terms. The conversation also mentions the patterns seen when calculating higher terms and the use of the Euler equation in the expansion.
Sparky_
TL;DR Summary
Math steps in deriving Quantum Computing Not Operation MIT 8.04
Hello,

I was watching a video lecture from MIT 8.04 (Allan Adams)– lecture #24 (around the 38 minute mark give or take)

The topic is quantum computing, Dr. Adams is deriving / explaining how to get various computing operations. For the “NOT” operation he explains that the operator

$$ U_{Not} = \begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix} \\
$$
Performs the not operation

Next (and to my question)

He states, “I can write this as
$$ U_{Not} = \begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix} \\ = -ie^{i\frac{\pi}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix}
}
$$
... I mean you can't stop me"

Next, he says, "expanding this out with the exponential we get 1 plus the thing and then all the other terms"

He writes:
$$ = -i(cos(\frac{\pi}{2}) \mathbb1 + isin(\frac{\pi}{2})
\begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix})
$$

His point is to get this where one can see Schrodinger evolution with a magnetic field..

My question is I cannot fill in the steps to go from the expansion of the exponential to his result

Is there a little hand-waving?

Just straight series expansion:
$$
-ie^{i\frac{\pi}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix}} = -i\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{i\frac{\pi}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix}^n
} {n!} = -i(1 +
i\frac{\pi}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix} + higher terms)
$$

He says this equals
$$
= -i(cos(\frac{\pi}{2}) \mathbb1 + isin(\frac{\pi}{2})
\begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix})
$$

Notes: The bold "1" is the unitary matrix - he wrote the result with the unit matrix and the other matrix outside of the cos and sin terms

Can you help clarify the step or steps I'm missing?

Is he simply throwing in a "0" for and a "1" with the cos and sin terms? If so, I don't quite see what he is showing?

Thanks
-Sparky_

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sparky_ said:
Just straight series expansion:
$$
-ie^{i\frac{\pi}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix}} = -i\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{i\frac{\pi}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix}^n
} {n!} = -i(1 +
i\frac{\pi}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix} + higher terms)
$$

In order to see the patterns, you have to calculate a few more terms. What is
$$\begin{pmatrix}

0& 1 \\

1 &0 \end{pmatrix}^n$$
for ##n=2,3,4##?

Likes Sparky_
Thank you so much!

Yep - I (now) see it after writing out a few more terms (and looking up the expansion for sin and cos), and squaring the matrix gives the unit matrix - so some terms have the original matrix while the others have the unit matrix

I see that "half" of the series gives sin and the other "half" gives the cos

I was expecting (assuming) a different path, meaning something like the higher terms not relevant and / or the Euler equation present itself .. (idiot)

Again - thank you for the help

1. What is a "Not" operation in quantum computing?

A "Not" operation, also known as a Pauli-X gate, is a fundamental operation in quantum computing that flips the state of a quantum bit (qubit) from 0 to 1 or vice versa.

2. How is the "Not" operation derived mathematically?

The "Not" operation is derived using linear algebra and matrix operations. It is represented by a 2x2 matrix called the Pauli-X matrix, which when multiplied with the state vector of a qubit, results in a flipped state.

3. What are the steps involved in deriving the "Not" operation?

The steps for deriving the "Not" operation involve defining the Pauli-X matrix, applying it to the state vector of a qubit, and simplifying the resulting equation to obtain the final "Not" operation.

4. How does the "Not" operation affect the state of a qubit?

The "Not" operation flips the state of a qubit, meaning that if the qubit was in the state 0, it will now be in the state 1, and vice versa. This is a crucial operation in quantum computing as it allows for the creation of superposition and entanglement.

5. What are the practical applications of the "Not" operation in quantum computing?

The "Not" operation is used in various quantum algorithms and protocols, such as quantum error correction, quantum teleportation, and quantum gates. It is also a fundamental building block for creating more complex quantum operations and circuits.