Quantum Entanglement and Parallel Worlds/Existence

In summary, QE suggests that each particle in the universe has an equivalent entangled particle elsewhere in the universe.
giodude
Hey! I'm new to the forums so its nice to be here. I don't have a deep deep background in physics (I plan to self study after I finish my math studies). However, I recently learned about the notion of quantum entanglement. My basic understanding of it is that quantum entanglement (will use QE from now on) suggests that each particle in the universe has an equivalent entangled particle elsewhere in the universe.

My question is, given this notion of QE, doesn't that confirm that somewhere in the universe there is an exact replica of everything that exists on earth? Unless maybe I'm misunderstanding something. My guess would be the misunderstanding comes in the placement of the particles, so while there does exist a replica, the particles are disbursed and therefore don't make up a single object?

Either way, curious to hear what folks in the forum think!

Physics news on Phys.org
giodude said:
I'm new to the forums so its nice to be here.
Welcome!

giodude said:
My basic understanding of it is that quantum entanglement (will use QE from now on) suggests that each particle in the universe has an equivalent entangled particle elsewhere in the universe.
That's not quite what QE means. Quantum systems can be entangled, but there is no requirement that every quantum system must be entangled with some other one. Also, two quantum systems that are entangled don't have to be "equivalent". (For example, an electron can be entangled with a proton--this is in fact the case for a hydrogen atom.)

Likes vanhees71, PeroK and giodude
Moderator's note: Thread level changed to "I".

giodude said:
I recently learned about the notion of quantum entanglement.
Can you give a specific reference for where you learned about it? That will help us to gauge your background knowledge.

PeterDonis said:
Can you give a specific reference for where you learned about it? That will help us to gauge your background knowledge.
I learned about it from this article and then started doing some research via google searches and discussions with some friends and family that know a bit about it as well. Nothing extensive yet.

PeterDonis said:
Welcome!That's not quite what QE means. Quantum systems can be entangled, but there is no requirement that every quantum system must be entangled with some other one. Also, two quantum systems that are entangled don't have to be "equivalent". (For example, an electron can be entangled with a proton--this is in fact the case for a hydrogen atom.)
Thank you!

Oh I see, makes it even more interesting that systems can be entangled and don't have to be equivalent. Will learn more about it and be back when I'm more informed!

giodude said:
I learned about it from this article and then started doing some research via google searches and discussions with some friends and family that know a bit about it as well. Nothing extensive yet.
A good QM textbook would be a better source for learning since that would give you (a) a better technical definition of entanglement, and (b) the background in the actual math of QM that allows you to understand the technical definition and its practical implications. Pop science articles don't do a good job of actually explaining these things in a way that lets you build on it to increase your own understanding.

I personally think Ballentine is a good QM textbook to learn from, but there are many of them and everyone has their own preferences.

Likes Vanadium 50, vanhees71 and PeroK
giodude said:
If you see the phrase "spooky action at a distance", you can assume what you are reading is more BS than QM!

Instead of reading scientific journalism (which is not science), you could start here:

http://physics.mq.edu.au/~jcresser/Phys304/Handouts/QuantumPhysicsNotes.pdf

Likes vanhees71

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This means that any change in one particle will result in an immediate change in the other particle, even if they are separated by vast distances.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two or more particles interact and become entangled. This means that their quantum states become correlated, and any measurement of one particle will instantly affect the state of the other particle. This phenomenon is not yet fully understood, but it has been proven to exist through numerous experiments.

3. Can quantum entanglement be used for communication?

No, quantum entanglement cannot be used for communication. While it may seem like particles are communicating with each other instantaneously, this is not the case. The state of the particles is determined at the moment of measurement, so no information can be transmitted through entanglement.

4. What are parallel worlds/existence in relation to quantum entanglement?

Parallel worlds or parallel existence is a theory that suggests there are multiple universes or realities coexisting alongside our own. Some interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Many-Worlds Interpretation, propose that every time a quantum event occurs, a new universe is created, resulting in an infinite number of parallel universes.

5. Is there any evidence for the existence of parallel worlds?

There is currently no concrete evidence for the existence of parallel worlds. The concept of parallel worlds is still a theoretical concept and is not widely accepted in the scientific community. However, some experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, have shown strange quantum behaviors that could potentially support the idea of parallel worlds. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand this concept.