Quantum Entanglement Basic Experiment Question

In summary: Regarding 3: Spin measurements do not collapse the wave function, but rather produce a new state of quantum entanglement.
st29
I am a law student and have no training whatsoever with regard to quantum mechanics, and I have been struggling to wrap my head around quantum entanglement in particular. I've been trying to find videos which would explain exactly what would occur in the following scenario, which I believe is very similar to the basic quantum eraser experiment:

1. A photon is shot through a BBO crystal, converting the single photon into two quantum entangled photons of lower frequency and opposite spins.
2. Photon 1 passes through a double-slit mask to a wall on which its pattern is detected.
3. Photon 2 passes through a different double-slit mask, and a detector is observing which slit the photon is passing through as well as its direction of spin. The photon then passes through to a wall on which its pattern is detected.

I would assume in this situation that the observance of which slit photon 2 passes through would destroy its interference pattern on the wall. I have the following questions:

1. Does this observance of photon 2 also destroy the interference pattern of photon 1?
2. Does measuring spin collapse a photon's wave function?
3. If so, does the measurement of photon 2's spin collapse the wave function of photon 1 because of quantum entanglement?
4. Or would you just get an interference pattern for photon 1, no interference pattern for photon 2, and still be able to determine the spin of photon 1 as it passes through the slits?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you measure one, you measure both, so... Yes, yes, yes and no.

st29 said:
I am a law student and have no training whatsoever with regard to quantum mechanics, and I have been struggling to wrap my head around quantum entanglement in particular. I've been trying to find videos which would explain exactly what would occur in the following scenario, which I believe is very similar to the basic quantum eraser experiment:

1. A photon is shot through a BBO crystal, converting the single photon into two quantum entangled photons of lower frequency and opposite spins.
2. Photon 1 passes through a double-slit mask to a wall on which its pattern is detected.
3. Photon 2 passes through a different double-slit mask, and a detector is observing which slit the photon is passing through as well as its direction of spin. The photon then passes through to a wall on which its pattern is detected.

I would assume in this situation that the observance of which slit photon 2 passes through would destroy its interference pattern on the wall. I have the following questions:

1. Does this observance of photon 2 also destroy the interference pattern of photon 1?
2. Does measuring spin collapse a photon's wave function?
3. If so, does the measurement of photon 2's spin collapse the wave function of photon 1 because of quantum entanglement?
4. Or would you just get an interference pattern for photon 1, no interference pattern for photon 2, and still be able to determine the spin of photon 1 as it passes through the slits?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, st29! These are some great questions. This is actually a more sophisticated situation than might be obvious.

Regarding 1: Actually, neither photon stream (as described above) will ever evidence interference. See Zeilinger's "Experiment and the foundations of quantum physics", figure 2, page 290:

http://www.hep.yorku.ca/menary/courses/phys2040/misc/foundations.pdf

Were this not the case, it would be possible to use the setup for FTL signalling. There are situations where subsets of photon pairs can be made to show kinds of interference by what is called coincidence counting. However, this requires a conventional signalling channel to demonstrate.

Regarding 2: these photons can be entangled on multiple bases. It is technically possible to measure entanglement on one basis without affecting entanglement on another basis. For example: you could collapse polarization (spin) with a filter without affecting momentum (frequency) entanglement.

Related to Quantum Entanglement Basic Experiment Question

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other(s), regardless of the distance between them.

2. How is quantum entanglement experimentally observed?

Quantum entanglement can be observed through a variety of experiments, such as creating entangled pairs of particles and measuring their properties, or using entangled particles to perform tasks like teleportation or quantum cryptography.

3. What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is significant because it challenges our understanding of how particles interact and communicate with each other. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and communication, as well as providing insights into the fundamental nature of the universe.

4. Can quantum entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, quantum entanglement cannot be used for faster-than-light communication. The entanglement between particles does not allow for the transfer of information, as the state of the particles cannot be controlled or predicted.

5. How does quantum entanglement relate to the concept of superposition?

Quantum entanglement and superposition are both fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. Superposition refers to the ability of a particle to exist in multiple states at once, while entanglement refers to the connection between particles. Both concepts play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.