Quantum Equations: Exploring Predictions in Research

• I
  • Thread starter stef3679
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quantum mechanics' equations in research centers to predict outcomes, particularly in the context of semiconductors. The conversation also touches on the question of how to use quantum mechanics for predictions and addresses the role of experimentation and statistical analysis in validating results.
stef3679
TL;DR Summary
How to use quantum mechanics' equations for predictions?
Hello,
I was always wondering how in research centres scientists are able to apply quantum mechanics' equations to predict an outcome. I mean, let's say you do an experiment and then collect the results, how can someone use quantum mechanics to predict the outcome ,if he can? For example,in semiconductors they've used Quantum mechanics to predict the outcome. Maybe this is a silly question,but I don't know the answer. All answers greatly appreciated,thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
stef3679 said:
Summary: How to use quantum mechanics' equations for predictions?

Hello,
I was always wondering how in research centres scientists are able to apply quantum mechanics' equations to predict an outcome. I mean, let's say you do an experiment and then collect the results, how can someone use quantum mechanics to predict the outcome ,if he can? For example,in semiconductors they've used Quantum mechanics to predict the outcome. Maybe this is a silly question,but I don't know the answer. All answers greatly appreciated,thank you!

In principle, QM is no different in this respect from any other branch of physics. You have a system modeled by QM. The mathematics of QM implies (or predicts) something about that system. You run an experiment to see what happens. And, if the experiment and the theory match then all well and good.

For example, QM can model a hydrogen atom and predicts that the binding energy is ##13.6 eV##. You then do an experiment to ionise a hydrogen atom and if it takes ##13.6 eV## to achieve this then experiment matches theory.

Are you asking, "If quantum mechanics is statistical, so you can only calculate the probability of a given outcome, how do they no if an experiment gives a valid result?"

If so then the answer is that they repeat the experiment many times, interpreting the results statistically.

All of you covered me with your answers thank you very much!

1. What are quantum equations?

Quantum equations are mathematical expressions that describe the behavior of particles and energy at the quantum level. They are used to make predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. How are quantum equations used in research?

Quantum equations are used in research to make predictions about the behavior of particles and energy at the quantum level. They are also used to test and validate theories about the nature of the universe, such as quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity.

3. What is the significance of studying quantum equations?

Studying quantum equations is significant because it allows us to understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, telecommunications, and materials science.

4. What are some key concepts related to quantum equations?

Some key concepts related to quantum equations include superposition, entanglement, wave-particle duality, and uncertainty principle. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and are essential for understanding quantum equations.

5. Are there any challenges in using quantum equations in research?

Yes, there are challenges in using quantum equations in research. One of the main challenges is that quantum mechanics is a highly complex and counterintuitive theory, making it difficult to understand and apply. Additionally, the equations themselves can be mathematically challenging and require advanced techniques to solve.