Quantum Field Operators for Bosons

In summary, the field creation operator ψ†(x) = ∫d3p ap†exp(-ip.x) coherently (in-phase) adds a particle created from |0> expanded as a superposition of momentum eigenstates states, exp(-ip.x), at x, to a particle (if it exists) expanded as a superposition of basis states, exp(ip.x') at x'. The probability amplitude at x is then: ∫d3p exp(-ip.x)/√2π exp(ip.x')/√2π = δ(3)(x - x').
knowwhatyoudontknow
TL;DR Summary
Trying to better understand Quantum Field Operators
Consider the field creation operator ψ(x) = ∫d3p apexp(-ip.x)

My understanding is that this operator does not add particles from a particular momentum state. Rather it coherently (in-phase) adds a particle created from |0> expanded as a superposition of momentum eigenstates states, exp(-ip.x), at x, to a particle (if it exists) expanded as a superposition of basis states, exp(ip.x') at x'. The probability amplitude at x is then:

∫d3p exp(-ip.x)/√2π exp(ip.x')/√2π = δ(3)(x - x') which is an eigenvalue of position

Is this the correct interpretation of how things work? Sorry, if my question is a little redundant, but I am just starting out with QFT.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are talking about non-relativistic free particles, it's correct. Here ##\hat{\psi}(x)## annihilates a particle at position ##x##.

Thanks. If a particle exists at x1 and another is added at the same point is it also fair to say that the resulting state is the ⊗ product of the 2 wavefunctions?

Be careful! The field operators are distribution valued operators due to the equal-time canonical commutator (bosons) relation
$$[\hat{\psi}(t,\vec{x}),\hat{\psi}^{\dagger}(t,\vec{y})]=\mathrm{i} \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{y}).$$
That's why squaring an operator at the same point is ambigous. It's of course the same singularity as in
$$\langle \vec{x}|\vec{y} \rangle = \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{y}).$$
There's a cure for that: Use "smeared" position states, i.e., true square integrable functions, i.e., instead of a position eigenstate ##|\vec{y} \rangle## you can use a Gaussian wave packet ##|\phi_{\vec{y}} \rangle## with
$$\langle \vec{x}|\phi_{\vec{y}} \rangle=N \exp\left [-\frac{(\vec{x}-\vec{y})^2}{4 \sigma^2} \right].$$
Then you deal with realistic "position eigenstates", i.e., with a particle in a well-defined small region around the point ##\vec{y}##. Then you can have of course easily two bosons "at the same place" in this "smeared" sense, i.e., taking into account the necessarily finite accuracy you can localize any particle.

Likes troglodyte
Understood. I have read about the difficulties of using δ functions in this context. Smearing makes sense. I have also heard about using 'rigged' Hilbert space as a possible alternative.

1. What is a quantum field operator for bosons?

A quantum field operator for bosons is a mathematical expression that describes the creation and annihilation of particles in a quantum field. It is used in quantum field theory to study the behavior of bosonic particles, which have integer spin.

2. How is a quantum field operator for bosons different from one for fermions?

The main difference between quantum field operators for bosons and fermions is that bosonic operators commute with each other, while fermionic operators anticommute. This difference is due to the different spin statistics of bosons and fermions.

3. What is the significance of the commutation/anticommutation relations in quantum field operators for bosons?

The commutation/anticommutation relations in quantum field operators for bosons determine the behavior of the particles in the quantum field. They dictate how the particles interact with each other and how their states change over time.

4. Can quantum field operators for bosons be used to describe interactions between particles?

Yes, quantum field operators for bosons can be used to describe interactions between particles. They are an essential tool in quantum field theory, which is used to study the behavior of particles in quantum fields and their interactions.

5. Are quantum field operators for bosons used in practical applications?

Yes, quantum field operators for bosons are used in many practical applications, including quantum computing, superconductivity, and particle accelerators. They are also used in theoretical physics to study the properties and behavior of bosonic particles.