Quantum-Mechanical treatment of circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of Quantum Mechanics in explaining electric current and the concept of resistance in a circuit. It is explained that this requires a deep understanding of Solid State Physics, including solutions to the Schrodinger equation, energy bands and gaps, and electron scattering. The electrical properties of a material depend on factors such as the number of free carriers, their effective mass, and the rate of scattering. The type of atoms and their arrangement also play a significant role. A good book on Solid State Physics is recommended for further understanding.
davidge
Hi everyone. I have to say I never get satisfied with introductory explanations of how electric phenomena occurs. Specifically, I would like to know how Quantum Mechanics explain the raise of a electric current and especially what makes a resistor being (maybe) the most dissipative element in a circuit. I guess we would need to know about how the atoms are interacting with each other as with the free (less bounded in QM language) electrons as well in a specific material to answer these questions. But that would then make it very hard to explain these things using Quantum Mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Davidge,

There is no short answer to your question. What you want to know is essentially a large chunk of Solid State Physics.
First thing is a general solution to Schrodinger equation given periodic potential due to regular arrangement of atoms in a solid. The solution is in form of energy bands, that have certain width (kinetic energy) and are separated by energy gaps.
Next thing, you fill the bands with available (valence) electrons starting from the lowest energy state and going up. If you fill some bands completely and all other bands are empty, you have an insulator. If you ran out of available electrons in a middle of a band, you have a metal. A semiconductor is an insulator with a small energy gap (for example, silicon has an energy gap of 1.11 eV, gallium arsenide gap is 1.45 eV, 'true' insulators would have an energy gap of 3 eV or more).
Next thing is the detailed band structure, that is relationship between the energy and (quasi) momentum of an electron. In vacuum, the energy is given by ##E = \frac {p^2}{2m} ## where m is the electron mass.
In a solid, the relationship is not necessary quadratic and the 'effective mass' is, generally, different from the free electron mass and can even be negative (that give you 'holes' in semiconductors).
Next thing is electron scattering. The band structure is obtained for a perfect periodic arrangements of atoms and it correspond to electron stationary states. In reality atoms are not arranged perfectly; there are defects in crystals plus thermal movement of atoms (here is another chunk of solid state physics: phonons).
These imperfection lead to scattering, hence resistance.
Once you have all of this figure out, you can consider electrical properties. Electrical properties of a given solid depends on three factors
  • number of free carriers (electrons and holes)
  • their effective mass (how easily they can be accelerated by an electric field)
  • scattering (rate of momentum loss due to collision with lattice vibrations and impurities)
Some materials, like gold, silver, copper will have a large number of electrons and low scattering rate. Other metals like lead, tungsten, etc. will have much higher scattering rate, hence, lower resistivity. Semiconductors have usually carrier concentrations billions times smaller than metals and, therefore, much higher resistivity. Everything depends on type of atoms and their arrangement.
Take carbon, for example. If it forms a cubic structure (diamond), the energy gap is about 5 eV and it is a very good insulator. Another allotrope of carbon is graphite that has layered structure. In this case, there is a slight overlap between the bands which give it some conductivity but not as much as that of metal.
Carbon can also exist as amorphous with conductivity even lower than that of graphite.
I hope I gave you an idea but you really have to get a good solid state physics book.

Thanks Henryk. I appreciate your detailed reply.
Henryk said:
I hope I gave you an idea but you really have to get a good solid state physics book.
What a good book would you suggest to me?

1. What is quantum mechanics and how does it relate to circuits?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It deals with the principles and laws that govern the behavior of particles and their interactions. In the context of circuits, quantum mechanics is used to study and understand the behavior of electrons and other particles that make up electrical circuits.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics in its treatment of circuits?

Classical mechanics is based on the principles of Newtonian physics, which describe the behavior of macroscopic objects like cars and planets. On the other hand, quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at a microscopic level and takes into account the probabilistic nature of their behavior. In the context of circuits, quantum mechanics allows for a more accurate and detailed understanding of the behavior of electrons and other particles within the circuit.

3. What are some practical applications of quantum-mechanical treatment of circuits?

The use of quantum mechanics in the study of circuits has led to the development of technologies such as quantum computing, quantum sensors, and quantum cryptography. It has also improved our understanding of materials and their electrical properties, leading to advancements in electronics and telecommunications.

4. What are some challenges in implementing quantum-mechanical treatment of circuits?

One of the main challenges in implementing quantum-mechanical treatment of circuits is the need for specialized equipment and techniques to observe and manipulate particles at a quantum level. Another challenge is the inherent noise and uncertainty in quantum systems, which can affect the accuracy and reliability of results.

5. How do scientists use quantum-mechanical treatment of circuits in their research?

Scientists use quantum-mechanical treatment of circuits in their research by using mathematical models and simulations to understand the behavior of particles in circuits. They also conduct experiments using specialized equipment to observe and manipulate particles at a quantum level. The results and insights gained from this research can then be applied to various practical applications in technology and other fields.