Quantum Mechanics - Pauli Spin Matrices

In summary, the Pauli Spin matrices, represented by \sigma_1, \sigma_2, and \sigma_3, are used to represent the angular momentum operators for spin 1/2 particles in 3 dimensions. They are derived from the properties of antihermitian and traceless matrices satisfying the commutation relations of the generators of the rotation group. When applied to two spin-half particles, the matrices can be represented as 4x4 matrices in three axes. These matrices are relevant to quantum mechanics and are a solution in 2 complex dimensions.
Tangent87
The Pauli Spin matrices:

[tex]\sigma_1=\left[
\begin{array}{ c c }
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0
\end{array} \right],\sigma_2=\left[
\begin{array}{ c c }
0 & -i \\
i & 0
\end{array} \right],\sigma_3=\left[
\begin{array}{ c c }
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1
\end{array} \right][/tex]

are used to represent the angular momentum operators for spin 1/2 in 3 dimensions for a single particle. My question is how are they derived? Particularly, what properties of the matrices correspond to general features of angular momentum and which are specific to spin half?

If we had two spin-half particles (A and B say) with basis states [tex]|\uparrow>_{A}|\uparrow>_{B},|\downarrow>_{A}|\uparrow>_{B},|\uparrow>_{A}|\downarrow>_{B},|\downarrow>_{A}|\downarrow>_{B}[/tex] then is it possible to find matrix representations of the spin matrices for each of A and B in the three axes? I'm guessing they would be 4x4 matrices since we have four basis states.

I know that's a lot to ask but the wikipedia page on Pauli matrices hardly mentions their relevance to quantum mechanics until the end of the page.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want an irreducible unitary representation of the group SU(2). So you want antihermitian matrices of trace 0. Multiplying by i, you want Hermitian traceless matrices satisfying the commutation relations of the generators of the rotation group. Pauli's matrices is one solution in 2 complex dimension. Any other solution is unitarily equivalent.

For two spins you take tensor product of the two representations. Then you may like to restrict it to antisymmetric tensors.

Related to Quantum Mechanics - Pauli Spin Matrices

1. What are Pauli spin matrices in quantum mechanics?

Pauli spin matrices are a set of three matrices, denoted as σx, σy, and σz, that represent the spin states of particles with spin ½ in quantum mechanics. They were introduced by physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1927 and play a crucial role in describing the behavior of particles with spin in quantum systems.

2. How do Pauli spin matrices relate to the spin of particles?

Pauli spin matrices are used to describe the spin of particles in quantum mechanics. Each matrix represents a different component of the spin - σx represents spin along the x-axis, σy represents spin along the y-axis, and σz represents spin along the z-axis. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of these matrices are used to determine the possible spin states of particles.

3. Can Pauli spin matrices be used to predict the spin of particles?

Yes, Pauli spin matrices are used in quantum mechanics to predict the spin of particles with spin ½. By solving the eigenvalue equation, the possible spin states of a particle can be determined, and the probability of observing a particular spin state can be calculated.

4. What is the significance of the Pauli spin matrices in quantum mechanics?

The Pauli spin matrices are essential in quantum mechanics as they provide a mathematical framework for describing the spin of particles. They also have applications in many areas of physics, including quantum computing, nuclear physics, and particle physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of Pauli spin matrices in quantum mechanics?

While Pauli spin matrices are a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, they are limited to describing the spin of particles with spin ½. They also do not take into account the spin interactions between multiple particles, which can be described using more advanced mathematical techniques.