Quantum numbers for energy levels

In summary, the combinations of quantum numbers for infinite wells in higher dimensions can be found by taking all possible combinations of energy states in each dimension. For example, for a 2D well with an energy level E4, the allowed combinations could be 4^2 + 1^2 or 1^2 + 4^2. The corresponding energy value would be E4 = 17π^2h^2/2mL^2. However, it is important to note that this may not be the case for all systems, and other factors such as degeneracy and choice of coordinates should also be considered.
TheCelt
Hello

Can some one explain how you work out the combinations of quantum numbers for infinite wells in higher dimensions?

For example if i have an energy level $$E_4$$ In a 2D well, then for quantum numbers does this mean the combinations allowed must be:

$$4^2 + 1^2$$
$$1^2 + 4^2$$

So then you have:

$$ E_4 = 17 \pi^2 \hbar^2 / 2mL^2 $$

Or this not how it works ?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheCelt said:
Hello

Can some one explain how you work out the combinations of quantum numbers for infinite wells in higher dimensions?

For example if i have an energy level $$E_4$$ In a 2D well, then for quantum numbers does this mean the combinations allowed must be:

$$4^2 + 1^2$$
$$1^2 + 4^2$$

So then you have:

$$ E_4 = 17 \pi^2 \hbar^2 / 2mL^2 $$

Or this not how it works ?
Why would that be ##E_4##? What are ##E_1, E_2, E_3##?

I'm not given that info, I'm trying to find the difference in energy to the ground state. Why would it not be E4?

TheCelt said:
I'm not given that info, I'm trying to find the difference in energy to the ground state. Why would it not be E4?
If you say it's ##E_4## it's up to you to justify why. I think it's ##E_6##.

Last edited:
Well i presmued for an energy level $$E_n$$ there must be one quantum number that must be n the others are 1 ? Otherwise I am confused on how the quantum numbers increase for each energy level ?

TheCelt said:
Well i presmued for an energy level $$E_n$$ there must be one quantum number that must be n the others are 1 ? Otherwise I am confused on how the quantum numbers increase for each energy level ?
What source are you using to learn this? In general, you have all combinations of energy states in each dimension: ##E_{n_x} + E_{n_y}##. For a square well, the energy levels will be: ##E_1 + E_1, E_1 + E_2, E_2 + E_2, E_1 + E_3 \dots##.

Note also that the eneregy levels ##E_1 + E_2## etc. are degenerate, as you can also have ##E_2 + E_1##.

I do not understand the notation to begin with. To solve the energy eigenvalue problem completely you need to find a complete set of orthonormal eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian and the corresponding eigenvalues.

If I understand it right, you discuss here the infinite square potential for a particle in two dimensions, i.e., a particle restricted to ##(x,y) \in [0,a] \times [0,b]##. Obviously the most simple complete set of energy eigenvectors are the momentum eigenstates, which are given by
$$u_{i,j}(\vec{x})=A \sin(k_{xi} x) \sin(k_{yj} y), \quad k_{xi}=\frac{\pi}{a} i, \quad k_{yj} = \frac{\pi}{b} j, \quad i,j \in \mathbb{N}=\{1,2,\ldots \}.$$
The ##A## can be chosen to normlize the eigenfunctions and make the a complete orthonormal set of energy eigenvectors.

The corresponding energy eigenvalues are labelled with the two indices ##i## and ##j##:
$$E_{i,j}=\frac{1}{2 m} \hbar^2 (k_{xi}^2+k_{yj}^2).$$

Likes jtbell and dextercioby
Yes, for e.g. a 2-dimensional infinite square well you don't have E1, E2, etc. Instead you have E1,1, E1,2, E2,1, E2,2, E3,1, E3,2, etc.

Likes vanhees71
jtbell said:
Yes, for e.g. a 2-dimensional infinite square well you don't have E1, E2, etc. Instead you have E1,1, E1,2, E2,1, E2,2, E3,1, E3,2, etc.

Well...

The way you do it is the way I do it, but not the way everyone would do it. You can have (in the 2D case)

E0 = 2, which is the (1,1) case.
E1 = 5, which is a doublet (2-fold degenerate), (1,2) and (2,1)
E2 = 8, again a singlet: (2,2)
E3 = 10, which is another doublet, (1,3) and (3,1)
E4 = 13, which is another doublet, (2,3) and (3,1)

While this looks pointless for the infinite square well, it makes more sense for the hydrogen atom and the simple harmonic oscillator.

Well, labelling in this way in the degenerate case is not unique, which is why it's called degenerate. If you want the energy eigenstates and the energy eigenvalues are degnerate, you can always find other observables than the energy, which are conserved and compatible to each other. If you have enough such observables (in the ideal case you have a complete compatible set of observables) the energy eigenstates are labelled uniquely and it's also useful to label the energy eigenvalues by these unique "labels".

E.g., for the hydrogen atom you have ##(n,\ell,m,\sigma_3)## (main quantum number, angular momementum, magnetic quantum number, and spin projection). Here the energy eigenvalues are ##2n^2##-fold degenerate (in the most simple approximation in QM 1 neglecting fine structure etc).

But by labeling the hydrogen atom that way, you've made a choice on how to think about the problem: spherical coordinates. Everybody knows the natural coordinates are parabolic. :wink:

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
E1 = 5, which is a doublet (2-fold degenerate), (1,2) and (2,1)
I see now that the OP used only one L, which presumably indicates that Lx = Ly. I was thinking of the more general case in which Lx ≠ Ly and the levels are not degenerate.

Vanadium 50 said:
But by labeling the hydrogen atom that way, you've made a choice on how to think about the problem: spherical coordinates. Everybody knows the natural coordinates are parabolic. :wink:
Sure, that's natural if you have a degeneracy. Which additional observables you choose to uniquely define the energy eigenstates is arbitrary, but of course the physics doesn't change. You get from one description to the other by a unitary transformation between the resulting orthonormal bases of energy eigenvectors.

1. What are quantum numbers for energy levels?

Quantum numbers for energy levels are a set of numbers that describe the energy levels of an atom or molecule. They are used in quantum mechanics to describe the properties of electrons, such as their energy, position, and spin.

2. How many quantum numbers are there for energy levels?

There are four quantum numbers for energy levels: the principal quantum number, the azimuthal quantum number, the magnetic quantum number, and the spin quantum number.

3. What is the purpose of quantum numbers for energy levels?

The purpose of quantum numbers for energy levels is to provide a way to describe the energy and other properties of electrons in an atom or molecule. They help us understand the behavior of atoms and molecules and can be used to predict their chemical and physical properties.

4. How are quantum numbers for energy levels determined?

Quantum numbers for energy levels are determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level. The solutions to this equation yield the values for the quantum numbers.

5. Can quantum numbers for energy levels change?

Yes, quantum numbers for energy levels can change. The principal quantum number can increase or decrease, the azimuthal quantum number can change between different sublevels, and the magnetic quantum number can change within a sublevel. However, the spin quantum number remains constant for a specific electron.