Quantum physics, reality, consciousness and the hypnagogic/hypnopompic state

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between lucid dreaming and quantum physics. The speaker suggests that the state of lucid dreaming is similar to quantum coherence and that the act of becoming aware of the dream can cause the dream state to collapse, similar to how measurement of a quantum state causes collapse. The speaker also suggests that the ability to recall dreams and have lucid dreams may hold the key to a quantum macrostate of coherence. The conversation is considered to be more appropriate for the Philosophy section rather than the Quantum Mechanics section.
madhatter106
I couldn't determine exactly what section this should fit into, considering that it does cover philosophy and most likely violate the QM section I figured it's best here. If the Mods feel otherwise please let me know.

I realize putting this thought to paper is like pinning a cloud to the wall. I would like to point out that this isn’t a start from psychology but arises from physics.

In doing more reading on the measurement problem in quantum physics I had an interesting thought with regards to the phenomena of lucid dreaming. The state one is in during these experiences is similar to quantum coherence. This is a fascinating correlation when set against the QM observer reality and decoherence, dephasing, wave function collapse etc.. I’ll explain how I see this correlation. When the measurement of the quantum state occurs the collapse of all possible states to the one observed is indeed fascinating and confusing. To draw the interpretation that reality doesn’t exist unless observed had me recall Lucid dreaming,
wiki said:
A lucid dream can begin in one of two ways. A dream-initiated lucid dream (DILD) starts as a normal dream, and the dreamer eventually concludes it is a dream, while a wake-initiated lucid dream (WILD) occurs when the dreamer goes from a normal waking state directly into a dream state, with no apparent lapse in consciousness.
and even more fascinating hypnagogia and hypnopompia. The focus here is on the later transition of binding. The transition out occurs once your consciousness determines that it is not classical reality, then the dream state fades away. This also occurs if another person becomes entangled in this state, the knowledge that other observer does not observe the same state causes decoherence. Now whether the return to what I’ll call a classical reality occurs due to the observation of the other person or due to the knowledge by the first observer that the second observer can not experience this at the same time can be debatable.

This experience is something I personally have been through many times. In reviewing the QM measurement problem I was struck by the similarity to the two observers of the photon state and the lucid dreamer to a non dreamer coming into the same entangled frame. If the lucid dreamer is not observed by another conscious observer then the entanglement hasn’t occurred yet and doesn’t cause a phase change. However even more fascinating is that the single and lone observer can cause the classical reemergence by a conscious observation that it doesn’t correlate to the ‘real’ world.

So it would seem that the lucid dream state is the reverse where the observer is experiencing both states at once, and can manipulate the environment until it is entangled with the observer of the classical Newtonian deterministic reality or the observer entangles the state by becoming conscious of it. That statement seems to be at odds with the explanation of the lucid state as it is usually explained to those who have not experienced it that the observer is aware that it is not real, but that is not technically accurate. The change from lucid not non lucid dream state occurs because the observer tells themselves it is not the reality they started in, once removed from the lucid state the observer is left with a persistent thought overlapping the experience that it was not ‘real’. That feeling may well be due to the experience of both states at once and by trying to resolve it the collapse of the lucid dream state occurs. For many there may be indeed lucid dreaming that is not recalled as the collapse and knowledge of being in the now observed state changes the past memory of it.

I wonder then, is dreaming in any context a transition to the quantum state of coherence? If so then the ability to recall dreams and lucid dreaming would hold some key to a quantum macrostate of coherence?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Quantum physics, reality, consciousness and the hypnagogic/hypnopompic state

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles interact and behave in ways that are different from classical physics, and has led to groundbreaking discoveries such as quantum entanglement and the uncertainty principle.

2. How does quantum physics relate to reality?

Quantum physics suggests that reality is not fixed and predetermined, but rather is shaped by the actions and observations of the observer. This is known as the observer effect, where the act of measuring a particle's position or velocity can change its behavior. It also introduces the concept of multiple parallel realities, where different outcomes can exist simultaneously until they are observed or measured.

3. What is the role of consciousness in quantum physics?

The role of consciousness in quantum physics is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that consciousness may play a role in the collapse of the wave function and the determination of reality. Others argue that consciousness is simply a byproduct of physical processes in the brain and has no effect on quantum phenomena.

4. What is the hypnagogic/hypnopompic state?

The hypnagogic/hypnopompic state is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep. It is characterized by hallucinations, vivid imagery, and altered perceptions. This state is often associated with lucid dreaming and can also be induced through meditation or hypnosis.

5. How does the hypnagogic/hypnopompic state relate to quantum physics and reality?

Some research suggests that the hypnagogic/hypnopompic state may allow for a deeper connection to the subconscious mind and potentially access to different levels of reality. It has also been linked to experiences of time dilation and altered states of consciousness, which have parallels to some quantum theories. However, further research is needed to fully understand the relationship between the two.