Quantum state of entangled photons

In summary, the conversation discusses the state of two polarization-entangled photons, A and B, in the Bell state. The first question asks for the state of photon A after passing through a double-slit, which creates a phase shift. The second question asks for the state of photon A and B after photon B passes through a 45-degree polarizer. The solution involves considering the position of the double-slit and the probability of conversion for photon B, as well as writing the state in terms of the basis states for both photons.
boxfullofvacuumtubes

Homework Statement

Suppose two polarization-entangled photons A and B in the following Bell state:

\begin{equation}
\Phi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\bigl(\left|H_{A},H_{B}\right\rangle + \left| V_{A},V_{B}\right\rangle\bigr)
\end{equation}

1. What is the state if the photon A passes through a double-slit?

2. What is the state if the photon A passes through a double-slit and the photon B passes through a linear polarizer oriented at the +45 angle?

2. The attempt at a solution

My attempt to solve (1):

A double-slit in the photon A's path creates a phase shift $$e^{i\Delta\phi}$$ because of unequal paths from each slit to a particular place on a screen. As the photon A can now take a path through one or the other slit, and there is a phase shift between the two,

\begin{equation}
\left|H_{A},H_{B}\right\rangle \longrightarrow \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\bigl(\left|H_{A},H_{B}\right\rangle\bigr) + e^{i\Delta\phi}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\bigl(\left|H_{A},H_{B}\right\rangle\bigr)
\end{equation}

Similarly:

\begin{equation}
\left|V_{A},V_{B}\right\rangle \longrightarrow \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\bigl(\left|V_{A},V_{B}\right\rangle\bigr) + e^{i\Delta\phi}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\bigl(\left|V_{A},V_{B}\right\rangle\bigr)
\end{equation}

Therefore:

\begin{equation}
\Phi=\frac{1}{2}\bigl(\bigl(1+e^{i\Delta\phi}\bigr)\left|H_{A},H_{B}\right\rangle + \bigl(1+e^{i\Delta\phi}\bigr)\left|V_{A},V_{B}\right\rangle \bigr)
\end{equation}

My attempt to solve (2):

The photon B passing through a 45-degree polarizer has a 50% probability of being absorbed and a 50% probability of converting:

\begin{equation}
H_{B} \longrightarrow \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|+45_{B}\right\rangle = \frac{1}{2}\bigl(\left|H_{B} + V_{B}\right\rangle\bigr)
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
V_{B} \longrightarrow \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|+45_{B}\right\rangle = \frac{1}{2}\bigl(\left|H_{B} + V_{B}\right\rangle\bigr)
\end{equation}

Putting (1) and (2) together:

\begin{equation}
\Phi=\frac{1}{2}\bigl(\bigl(1+e^{i\Delta\phi}\bigr)\left|H_{A}\right\rangle \bigotimes \frac{1}{2}\bigl(\left|H_{B} + V_{B}\right\rangle\bigr) + \bigl(1+e^{i\Delta\phi}\bigr)\left|V_{A}\right\rangle \bigotimes \frac{1}{2}\bigl(\left|H_{B} + V_{B}\right\rangle\bigr) \bigr)
\end{equation}

The rest is easy, just manual work, but I'm wondering if I made any mistakes up to this point. Anyone willing to help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach seems correct so far. However, there are a few things to consider:

1. The phase shift, which you denoted as $$e^{i\Delta\phi}$$, should depend on the position of the double-slit, not just on the fact that there are two paths. This means that the phase shift will change for different points on the screen.

2. When the photon B passes through the polarizer, it will not convert or be absorbed with equal probability. The probability of conversion will depend on the angle of the polarizer and the polarization of the photon B.

3. When writing the state after the polarizer, you need to take into account the state of photon A as well. In your equation, you only have the state of photon B after the polarizer.

4. Lastly, it might be helpful to write the state in terms of the basis states for both photons (i.e. $$\left|H_{A}\right\rangle, \left|V_{A}\right\rangle, \left|H_{B}\right\rangle, \left|V_{B}\right\rangle$$) rather than just the polarization states. This will make it easier to keep track of the different combinations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

2. How are photons entangled?

Photons can become entangled through a process called spontaneous parametric down-conversion, in which a high-energy photon is split into two lower-energy photons that are entangled with each other.

3. What is the significance of entangled photons in quantum computing?

Entangled photons are important in quantum computing because they can be used as qubits, the basic unit of information in quantum computers. The entanglement between qubits allows for faster and more efficient computation compared to classical computers.

4. Can entangled photons be used for secure communication?

Yes, entangled photons can be used for secure communication through a process called quantum key distribution. This method uses the entanglement between photons to create a shared secret key between two parties, which can be used for secure communication without the risk of interception.

5. How do scientists create and measure entangled photons?

Scientists can create entangled photons through various methods, such as spontaneous parametric down-conversion, or using special materials like quantum dots. Entangled photons can be measured using techniques such as quantum state tomography, which allows scientists to determine the state of the photons and their level of entanglement.