Quantum state vector and physical state

In summary: I hope I find some time this evening.In summary, the conversation discusses the link between quantum state vectors and physical states, and raises the question of whether different state vectors can correspond to the same physical state. An experimental test using trapped ions is reported, which confirms the predictions of quantum theory. The paper also discusses the implications of this result and rules out certain models. The introductory example of a classical die is used to illustrate the concept of distinct probability distributions representing different physical states.
DrClaude
Mentor
Interesting new work on the link between quantum state vectors are physical states:

Can different quantum state vectors correspond to the same physical state? An experimental test
Daniel Nigg et al 2016 New J. Phys. 18 013007

Abstract
A century after the development of quantum theory, the interpretation of a quantum state is still discussed. If a physicist claims to have produced a system with a particular quantum state vector, does this represent directly a physical property of the system, or is the state vector merely a summary of the physicist's information about the system? Assume that a state vector corresponds to a probability distribution over possible values of an unknown physical or 'ontic' state. Then, a recent no-go theorem shows that distinct state vectors with overlapping distributions lead to predictions different from quantum theory. We report an experimental test of these predictions using trapped ions. Within experimental error, the results confirm quantum theory. We analyse which kinds of models are ruled out.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/18/1/013007

Likes bhobba, ShayanJ and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds interesting, but the title for sure is already a bit fishy. It should read

Can different rays in Hilbert space correspond to the same physical state? An experimental test

Of course, a state vector is determined from a pure quantum state, which is given by a projector ##|\psi \rangle \langle \psi|## with ##|\psi \rangle## a unit vector, only up to a phase. I'm sure another question than the one in the title is addressed in this paper ;-)). I hope I find the time to translate the abstract into physics this evening ;-)).

DrClaude said:

Great follow-up paper to the original PBR paper. Amazing stuff. Thanks for posting.

Apparently, the state vector is "real" in the sense defined, while (counterfactual) observables themselves are not.

Can you explain an ignorant particle/nuclear theorist as I am the point of this paper? I didn't get it. Different rays in Hilbert space define distinct pure states of a quantum system, and there are observable differences between them. That's the general scheme. On exception that comes to my mind are gauge theories, where a state is not only a ray but an entire "gauge orbit".

Taken aside these formalities. I even didn't get the introductory classical die example. He considers two different "events" (in the sense of usual probability theory a la Kolmogorov or equivalent), namely: ##E_1##="the die shows an even numer" and ##E_2##="the die shows a prime number". Than he assumes that for some strange reason the probality distributions are not the expected ones of a "fair" die but
$$P_1(n)=\begin{cases} 1/3 \quad \text{if} \quad n \quad \text{even}, \\
1/3 \quad \text{if} \quad n \quad \text{odd}.\end{cases}$$
or
$$P_2(n)=\begin{cases} 1/3 \quad \text{if} \quad n \quad \text{prime}, \\
1/3 \quad \text{if} \quad n \quad \text{non-prime}.\end{cases}$$
Of course, if an observer only knows that the probability that the die shows "2" is 1/3, he cannot distinguish these two probability distributions. But that doesn't imply that the two "preparations" of the die are the same. If he'd through the die often enough, he can figure out the probabilities for all numbers and thus very well distinguish the two "states", described by the distinct probability distributions.

Unfortunately I had not the time to analyze the physics case in the paper.

Likes ShayanJ

1. What is a quantum state vector?

A quantum state vector is a mathematical representation of the state of a quantum system. It contains all the information about the possible states the system can be in and their respective probabilities.

2. What is the difference between a quantum state vector and a physical state?

A quantum state vector is a mathematical construct that represents the state of a quantum system, while a physical state is the actual observable state of the system. The quantum state vector contains all the possible physical states and their probabilities.

3. How is a quantum state vector related to quantum mechanics?

A quantum state vector is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it is used to describe the state of a quantum system and predict the outcomes of measurements on that system. It is essential in understanding the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

4. Can a quantum state vector be observed directly?

No, a quantum state vector cannot be directly observed. It is a mathematical representation of the state of a system and does not have a physical manifestation. However, it can be indirectly observed through the outcomes of measurements on the system.

5. How does the quantum state vector evolve over time?

The evolution of a quantum state vector over time is governed by the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the state of a quantum system changes in time. As the system evolves, the quantum state vector also changes, reflecting the changing probabilities of the possible physical states of the system.