Quantum Superposition, Linear Combinations and Basis

In summary, a state in a space can be written as a linear combination of the basis kets of that space, with coefficients and basis vectors. It can be considered as a linear superposition of states or just a linear combination, with the traditional way being the latter. In a linear combination, the basis kets do not superpose, but the coefficients do.
gfghfhghfghfgh
Hello, just a quick question.

I am aware that a a state in a space can be written as a linear combination of the basis kets of that space

ψ = ∑ai[ψi]

where ai are coefficients and [ψi] are the basis vectors.

I was just wondering is this a linear superposition of states or just a linear combination?

Can it only be a linear superposition if the basis kets are eigenstates of some operator?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
gfghfhghfghfgh said:
I was just wondering is this a linear superposition of states or just a linear combination?
I don't know if it's necessary to consider them different. The traditional way is that, say you have two vectors ##v_1## and ##v_2##. The linear combination between them is a vector such that ##v = a_1v_1 + a_2v_2## for some scalar ##a_1## and ##a_2##. Very strictly speaking, in that equation ##v_1## and ##v_2## do not superpose, instead ##a_1v_1## and ##a_2v_2## do. Do you get the idea now?

Related to Quantum Superposition, Linear Combinations and Basis

What is quantum superposition?

Quantum superposition is a principle in quantum mechanics where a physical system can exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is measured or observed.

What are linear combinations in quantum mechanics?

Linear combinations in quantum mechanics refer to the mathematical operations that are used to describe how quantum states can be combined to form new states.

What is a quantum basis?

A quantum basis is a set of states that are used as a reference to describe the quantum states of a physical system. These states are usually chosen to be orthogonal, meaning they are mutually exclusive and do not overlap.

How do we represent quantum superposition mathematically?

In quantum mechanics, quantum superposition is represented mathematically using a linear combination of basis states. This is known as a superposition state and is written as a sum of basis states multiplied by complex coefficients.

What is the significance of quantum superposition?

Quantum superposition is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It allows for the existence of states that are not possible in classical physics and has important implications for technologies like quantum computing and cryptography.