Quantum theory without classical time: quantum gravity and unification

In summary, the conversation discusses a recently published paper that claims to present a new Theory of Everything. The paper is based on Trace Dynamics, an 8-dimensional octonionic space, and derives several fundamental concepts such as 4D spacetime, quantum physics, gravitation, and the Standard Model with its 3 generations. The paper also presents a derivation of the fine structure constant with high accuracy. The speaker is not an expert in the subject but is intrigued by the paper's attempt to incorporate Division Algebras in First Principles. They seek opinions from others, including @john baez, on the feasibility and credit of this paper's claims.
the_pulp
TL;DR Summary
This paper looks as a new Theory of Everything that from first principles (Trace Dynamics, Division Algebras, ...) seems to derive a lot of things (4D Spacetime, Quantum Mechanics, Standard Model, ...)
It came to my attention yesterday this, from my ignorant point of view, amazing paper that describes what it looks as another Theory of Everything: https://arxiv.org/abs/2110.02062

If I didnt understand incorrectly, from first principles / a pre quantum theory (Trace Dynamics, 8D octonionic Space, ...) it derives:
1) 4D Spacetime
2) Quantum Physics
3) Gravitation / Metric Tensor /...
4) Standard Model with its 3 generations
5) Many of its numerical parameters

I am not a proffesional in the subject at all so, as a consequence, I would highly appreciate any comment regarding this paper. Is my understanding correct? Does it look feasible? As a consequence of your understanding of this paper, do you give any credit to this line of investigation? Ps: I am always easily seduced by papers that tries to incorporate Division Algebras in First Principles so, as this paper claims to do it successfully, that's why it caught my attention,

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm intrigued by this paper also. I haven't begun to grasp most of it, but I kind of "sat up and took notice" when I saw what seemed like a simple, logical derivation of the fine structure constant that is accurate to ~ 1 part in 10^5:
[tex] \alpha = \exp((\frac{1}{3} - \sqrt{\frac{3}{8}})\frac{2}{3})\frac{9}{1024} = 0.00729713 [/tex].
I'm not sure if there is something there, or if it is just numerology. I would love to hear what @john baez thinks.