Quenched & Unquenched Quark Model

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the quenched and unquenched quark models, specifically in the context of lattice QCD. The quenched approximation ignores the functional integral over fermions, while the unquenched model treats them as fields to be integrated over. The lecture notes and references provided offer further insight into these models.
Naeem Anwar
Just started the study Exotic Hadrons (like mixing of Charmonium states with tetraquarks etc.) and got confused with quenched & unquenched quark model.

What are the major differences between these two models? What key factors I should keep in mind doing calculations with these models invidiously?

I will highly acknowledge literature recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of the path integral (PI) for QCD , since the fermions appear only quadratically, one can symbolically do the functional integral over them to find a highly nonlocal determinant
$$ \int D\psi D\bar{\psi} \exp \left[ \bar{\psi} ( { \not{ \! \! D}} + m ) \psi \right] = \det (\not{\! \! D} + m ) .$$
Since the gauge bosons and consequently the gauge coupling appears in the covariant derivative, if we were doing perturbation theory, we could treat this beast order by order. In the quenched approximation to lattice QCD, this determinant is simply ignored for computational simplicity (its value is set equal to 1 in the PI). We could analogously call this an approximation with nondynamical fermions, i.e. fermions that we don't promote to fields that we have to integrate over in the PI.

I haven't really studied lattice QCD, so I am not up on references. The lecture notes http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0205181 discusses the qualitative aspects of the quenched approximation in one or two places. The notes http://www.itp.uni-hannover.de/saalburg/Lectures/wiese.pdf (hat-tip: atyy) are a discussion of ways to incorporate fully dynamically fermions, but I don't think he discusses the quenched approximation in any detail.

Although my background is not LQCD but still this material is at least giving me the spirit of my query. Thanks & looking forward some exact explanations in detail.

1. What is the Quenched and Unquenched Quark Model?

The Quenched and Unquenched Quark Model is a theoretical framework used in particle physics to study the behavior of quarks, the fundamental building blocks of matter. It is based on the idea that quarks interact with each other through the strong nuclear force, and that their interactions can be described by mathematical equations.

2. What is the difference between Quenched and Unquenched in this model?

The main difference between the Quenched and Unquenched Quark Model lies in the inclusion of virtual quark-antiquark pairs in the calculations. In the Quenched Model, these pairs are neglected, while in the Unquenched Model, they are taken into account. This leads to different predictions for certain properties of hadrons, such as their masses and decay rates.

3. What are the limitations of the Quenched and Unquenched Quark Model?

Although the Quenched and Unquenched Quark Model has been successful in describing many aspects of the strong nuclear force, it has its limitations. For example, it does not take into account the effects of confinement, which is the phenomenon that quarks cannot exist in isolation but are always bound together in composite particles such as protons and neutrons.

4. How does the Quenched and Unquenched Quark Model contribute to our understanding of the Standard Model?

The Quenched and Unquenched Quark Model is an important tool in studying the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in the Standard Model of particle physics. It has helped to explain the behavior of hadrons and has provided valuable insights into the structure of matter at the subatomic level.

5. What are some current research topics related to the Quenched and Unquenched Quark Model?

Some current research topics related to the Quenched and Unquenched Quark Model include studying the behavior of exotic hadrons, such as tetraquarks and pentaquarks, which are particles composed of more than three quarks. Another area of interest is the study of the strong nuclear force at high energies, which is important for understanding the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in the early universe or in the core of neutron stars.