Question about calculating a spring's extension

• Thread starter Physics_Beginner300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extension
In summary: So, assuming that the question is really only concerned with the extension of the spring, to find this, we need to use the equation for work done by a spring, W = 1/2 k x^2, where k = spring constant and x= extension of the spring. We also need to use the equation for kinetic energy, KE = 1/2 m v^2, where m = mass of the ball and v = velocity of the ball. By setting these two equations equal to each other and solving for x, we can find the distance the spring is compressed. In summary, to find the distance the spring is compressed, we need to use the equations W = 1/2 k x^2 and KE =
Physics_Beginner300
Homework Statement
A 1.5kg shotput has a velocity of 3.0 m/s and lands on a spring just before contact. The value of k, the spring constant, is 700 N m (Newton metres). Find how far the spring is compressed.
Relevant Equations
F = k(-x)
W (on mass) = Δ Ek
Δ Ek = 1/2 m v^2 - 1/2 m i^2 (v = final velocity and i = inital velocity)
Ep = mgh
W = 1/2 k x^2, where k = spring constant and x= extension of the spring
Hey guys, I think that the answer to this question is to solve for the amount of kinetic energy that the ball exerts on the spring, and the substitute that value to solve for x. However, I am not sure and quite stuck on how to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_Beginner300 said:
Problem Statement: A 1.5kg shotput has a velocity of 3.0 m/s and lands on a spring just before contact. The value of k, the spring constant, is 700 N m (Newton metres). Find how far the spring is compressed.
Relevant Equations: F = k(-x)
W (on mass) = Δ Ek
Δ Ek = 1/2 m v^2 - 1/2 m i^2 (v = final velocity and i = inital velocity)
Ep = mgh
W = 1/2 k x^2, where k = spring constant and x= extension of the spring

Hey guys, I think that the answer to this question is to solve for the amount of kinetic energy that the ball exerts on the spring, and the substitute that value to solve for x. However, I am not sure and quite stuck on how to start
It's not clear what's stopping you. In any case, you have to make a serious attempt first before we can help you.

Ps it's a "shot". The "put" is the style of throw.

velocity of 3.0 m/s
Direction unspecified? That's awkward. Looks like you'll have to assume it is collinear with the spring.
solve for the amount of kinetic energy that the ball exerts on the spring, and the substitute that value to solve for x
To be precise, you would also need to take into account gravitational PE change during compression, but for that you would need to assume further that the ball fell vertically, which would not be a successful put.

1. How do you calculate the extension of a spring?

The extension of a spring can be calculated using the formula: extension = (force applied to the spring) / (spring constant). This formula assumes that the spring is stretched within its elastic limit.

2. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per unit length (usually N/m or lbs/in).

3. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the material, shape, and size of the spring. It can also change if the spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit, causing permanent deformation.

4. How does the force applied to the spring affect the extension?

The force applied to the spring is directly proportional to the extension of the spring. This means that as the force increases, the extension of the spring also increases. However, this relationship only holds true within the elastic limit of the spring.

5. What are the units of measurement for spring extension?

The units of measurement for spring extension depend on the units used for the force and the spring constant. If the force is measured in Newtons and the spring constant is measured in N/m, then the extension will be in meters (m). If the force is measured in pounds (lbs) and the spring constant is measured in lbs/in, then the extension will be in inches (in).