Question about coefficients of massless quantum fields

In summary, in Chapter 5.9 of Weinberg's QFT Vol 1, massless fields are defined as a sum of two terms, one involving a creation operator and the other involving an annihilation operator. The coefficients for these terms are defined by certain conditions, and the equations for the annihilation operator are the complex conjugates of the equations for the creation operator. Weinberg claims that this can be proven by adjusting the constants in the equations, but it is not necessarily true and may require further proof.
hgandh
From Chapter 5.9 Weinberg's QFT Vol 1, massless fields are defined as:
[tex] \psi_l(x)=(2\pi)^{-3/2}\int d^{3}p\sum_{\sigma}[k a(p,\sigma)u_l(p,\sigma)e^{ipx}+\lambda a^{c\dagger}(p,\sigma)v_l(p,\sigma)e^{-ipx}][/tex]
With coefficients defined by the conditions:
[tex]u_{\bar{l}}(p,\sigma) =\sqrt{|k|/p^0} \sum_{l}D_{\bar{l}l}(L(p))u_l(k,\sigma)[/tex]
[tex]v_{\bar{l}}(p,\sigma) =\sqrt{|k|/p^0} \sum_{l}D_{\bar{l}l}(L(p))v_l(k,\sigma)[/tex]
[tex]u_{\bar{l}}(p,\sigma) exp(i\sigma \theta(k,W) =\sqrt{|k|/p^0} \sum_{l}D_{\bar{l}l}(W)u_l(k,\sigma)[/tex]
[tex]v_{\bar{l}}(p,\sigma) exp(-i\sigma \theta(k,W) =\sqrt{|k|/p^0} \sum_{l}D_{\bar{l}l}(W)v_l(k,\sigma)[/tex]
Where [itex]D_{\bar{l}l}(L(p))[/itex] is a general, irreducible representation of the homogenous Lorentz group restricted to standard boosts, [itex]L(p)[/itex] that take the standard momentum [itex]k = (0,0,k)[/itex] into arbitrary momentum [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]D_{\bar{l}l}(W)[/itex] is the Lorentz representation restricted to the little group for massless particles. Now Weinberg says that the equations for [itex]v[/itex] are just the complex conjugates of the equations for [itex]u[/itex] so that we can adjust the constants [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex] so that
[tex]v_l(p,\sigma)=u_l(p,\sigma)^*[/tex]
However, taking the complex conjugates of the equations of [itex]u[/itex]:
[tex]u_{\bar{l}}(p,\sigma)^* =\sqrt{|k|/p^0} \sum_{l}D_{\bar{l}l}(L(p))^*u_l(k,\sigma)^*[/tex]
[tex]u_{\bar{l}}(p,\sigma)^* exp(-i\sigma \theta(k,W) =\sqrt{|k|/p^0} \sum_{l}D_{\bar{l}l}(W)^*u_l(k,\sigma)^*[/tex]

This is where I get stuck. The above will be true if [itex]D_{\bar{l}l}(L(p))^*=D_{\bar{l}l}(L(p))[/itex] and [itex]D_{\bar{l}l}(W)^*=D_{\bar{l}l}(W)[/itex]. However, this does seem to necessarily be true. Is there another way to prove Weinberg's claim?

Physics news on Phys.org
@hgandh , this is not a "B" level question. It probably needs to be "A", which assumes a graduate level knowledge of the subject area. What is your background in this subject area?

PeterDonis said:
@hgandh , this is not a "B" level question. It probably needs to be "A", which assumes a graduate level knowledge of the subject area. What is your background in this subject area?
I should have marked it as "A". I am studying QFT currently with all of the assumed pre requisites and some group theory.

hgandh said:
I should have marked it as "A".

I have changed the thread level to "A".

1. What are coefficients of massless quantum fields?

Coefficients of massless quantum fields refer to the numerical values that represent the strength of interactions between particles in a quantum field theory. These coefficients are used to calculate the probability of a particle interacting with the field.

2. How are coefficients of massless quantum fields determined?

Coefficients of massless quantum fields are determined through mathematical calculations and experiments. These coefficients can also be derived from the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the Planck constant and the speed of light.

3. Do all quantum fields have the same coefficients?

No, the coefficients of massless quantum fields can vary depending on the specific field and the type of particle being studied. Different fields have different interactions and therefore may have different coefficients.

4. What is the significance of massless quantum fields?

Massless quantum fields play a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental interactions of particles in the universe. They help explain phenomena such as the behavior of subatomic particles and the creation and annihilation of particles in particle accelerators.

5. Can coefficients of massless quantum fields change?

Yes, coefficients of massless quantum fields can change depending on the energy and conditions of the field. For example, at high energies, the coefficients may be different than at low energies. Additionally, new discoveries and advancements in quantum mechanics may also lead to changes in these coefficients.