Question about Coloumb's law notation and math in two different textbooks

Selectron09
TL;DR Summary
Trying to understand mathematically how Jackson Classical Electrodynamics and Griffiths both describe coloumb's law equation
I am currently taking Electricity and Magnetism I for Graduate school and we are of course using Jackson Classical Electrodynamics 3e. I am used to Griffiths from undergrad and intro physics in that they describe it:
1694274144420.png

But Jackson modifies the notation to include a cube of the magnitude in the denominator:
1694274419944.png

I have tried to wrap my head around it. My professor just said it makes it "less mathematically akward" which is fine. Can someone take me stepwise line by line why these two are the same? I would really appreciate it. I want to be sure that I am getting used to the notation early of Jackson as I hear that's the trickiest part. It's not "new" physics!

Attachments

• 1694273807045.png
    1694273807045.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 1694274310407.png
    1694274310407.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, Jackson has it in the clearest way. It's just giving the force between two point charges at given positions. Of course it's the same as in Griffiths's book. You only have to look up the definition of ##\vec{r}##. That becomes clear by rewriting the Jackson formula in the following way
$$\vec{F}=\frac{k q_1 q_2}{|\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2|^2} \frac{\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2}{|\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2} \equiv \frac{k q_1 q_2}{r^2} \hat{r},$$
where ##\vec{r}=vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2## and ##\hat{r}=\vec{r}/|\vec{r}|##.

I'd also have written ##\vec{F}_1## for the force, because it's the force on charge 1 due to the presence of charge 2. Of course, you get ##\vec{F}_2=-\vec{F}_1## as it should be for static fields.

Likes Selectron09
Thankyou very much. That was amazingly helpful and gets me on the right track now as I continue through the reading. Much gratitude and I shall not hesitate to come back again after I've struggled through it.

Likes PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
The form ##{\bf r}/r^3## is more convenient for taking vector derivatives like grad, div, curl.

You can also work in, e.g., spherical coordinates. Then you work with vector components wrt. the according (position-dependent) vectors ##\vec{e}_r##, ##\vec{e}_{\vartheta}##, and ##\vec{e}_{\varphi}##.

1. What is Coloumb's law notation?

Coloumb's law notation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between electric charges and the force between them. It is expressed as F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. How is Coloumb's law notation different in two different textbooks?

The notation for Coloumb's law may vary slightly between textbooks, but the underlying formula remains the same. Some textbooks may use different symbols for the variables or may include additional constants, but the basic equation remains unchanged.

3. What is the significance of the k constant in Coloumb's law notation?

The k constant, also known as the Coulomb constant, is a proportionality constant that relates the force between two charges to their magnitudes and the distance between them. It is a fundamental constant in electromagnetism and has a value of approximately 9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

4. How is Coloumb's law used in real-world applications?

Coloumb's law is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the force between two charged particles in a particle accelerator, determining the strength of an electric field in a circuit, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in an electric field.

5. What is the mathematical relationship between distance and force in Coloumb's law?

According to Coloumb's law, the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charges increases, the force between them decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.