Question about draft (probably wind blowing up in your room)

• Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Draft Wind
In summary: A draft can be caused by opening any window, even if the door to the room is closed. However, if the wind is strong enough, it may also cause a draft if the windows are open and the door to the room is closed. In order to create a draft from two windows in different rooms, the two windows would need to be open at the same time and the door to the room between the two windows would need to be closed.
Physicsissuef
Hello! :smile:

I have one mysterious question. I have room 25 m2, and I want to made draft, by opening one window and my door to be closed, so I will have closed space with only one window open. What is actually draft? Is it same with wind? Draft = circling of hot and cold air?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A draft is basically a very light or gentle wind. In the context of a home or building interior, it refers to air flow which may result from a wind (external) or some pressure differential within the home/building or room.

It could also be a manifestation of natural convection where cooler or drier air displaces warmer or moister air, i.e. denser air displaces less dense air.

A draft could also be caused by forced convection, i.e. the air flow from a fan.

So, with opening one window in normal circumstances, I could cause a draft? Why some people say that I must open the window from other room, to open my door, and to open the window of my room to cause draft?

It depends on a number of conditions, e.g. if the air outside is still and at about the same density and pressure as the air in the room, then one will likely not have a draft in the room. If air outside is cooler than inside the room, one can make a small opening in the top and bottom of the window, and the cooler outside air would flow into the room while the warmer air would flow out, and that would cause some draft as the air convects by natural circulation.

If the wind is blowing, the opening a window may cause a draft in the room, especially if the house/building is not air-tight.

Lets say that the air outside is cooler than inside the room, can I make draft only with opening one window and the door of my room to be closed? Why people say that there must be two windows from two different rooms to make draft?

1. Why do I feel a draft in my room?

You may feel a draft in your room due to air movement caused by temperature differences between the inside and outside of the room. This can also be caused by wind blowing against the exterior of your room or through small openings such as cracks or gaps around windows and doors.

2. How can I prevent drafts in my room?

To prevent drafts in your room, you can seal any cracks or gaps around windows and doors with weather stripping or caulk. You can also use draft stoppers to block any gaps under doors. Additionally, keeping your windows and doors closed on windy days can help reduce drafts.

3. Can drafts affect the temperature in my room?

Yes, drafts can affect the temperature in your room. If cold air is entering through drafts, it can lower the temperature in your room and make it feel cooler. This can also make your heating system work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature.

4. Are drafts harmful to my health?

Drafts themselves are not harmful to your health, but they can make your room feel uncomfortable and affect the temperature. In extreme cases, drafts can lead to respiratory issues for individuals with allergies or asthma if they are exposed to outdoor pollutants entering through the drafts.

5. How can I detect drafts in my room?

You can detect drafts in your room by holding a lit candle near windows, doors, or other potential draft areas. If the flame flickers or moves, it indicates the presence of a draft. You can also use a thermal leak detector or infrared thermometer to identify areas where there may be significant temperature differences indicating drafts.