Question about equations of 3D solids

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intersection of a cone and a sphere in cylindrical coordinates. The equations are set up and it is noted that both sides should equal zero for an intersection. The individual then realizes their mistake and thanks the other person for their help.
Gianmarco
I was working on a problem on this domain:
[tex]
E=[x,y,z)\:s.t. \: \sqrt{x^2+y^2}\leq z\leq \sqrt{3x^2+3y^2},\: x^2+y^2+z^2\leq 2]
[/tex]
and at some point I wanted to find the intersection of the internal cone(##\sqrt{3x^2+3y^2}=z##) with the sphere of radius ##\sqrt{2}## to find the height z of the circle. I did so by equating the two in cylindrical coordinates as follows:
[tex]
3x^2+3y^2-z^2=x^2+y^2+z^2-2\\x=rcos\theta,\: y=rsin\theta,\: z=z\\2r^2-2z^2+2=0 \rightarrow z^2=r^2+1
[/tex]
This result confuses me. The intersection of a cone along the z-axis and a sphere centered in (0,0,0) should be a circle around the z-axis(and so with a fixed z). The radius(##\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## is of course also fixed. Then why do I get a function of z and r? Isn't the intersection of a cone and a sphere a circle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gianmarco said:
I did so by equating the two in cylindrical coordinates as follows
That's not the way it works for an intersection. Both sides should be zero, so you have two equations:$$
3x^2+3y^2-z^2=0 \\x^2+y^2+z^2-2 = 0 $$ and from this you have to find your way out...

Likes Gianmarco
BvU said:
That's not the way it works for an intersection. Both sides should be zero, so you have two equations:$$
3x^2+3y^2-z^2=0 \\x^2+y^2+z^2-2 = 0 $$ and from this you have to find your way out...
You are a genius. :D thank you!

You're welcome !

1. What are the different types of equations used for 3D solids?

There are several types of equations used for 3D solids, including Cartesian equations, parametric equations, and implicit equations. Each type has its own advantages and applications depending on the specific shape and characteristics of the 3D solid.

2. How do you determine the volume and surface area of a 3D solid using equations?

The volume of a 3D solid can be calculated using the appropriate formula for its shape (such as V = lwh for a rectangular prism). The surface area can be found using the formula for the specific shape's surface area (for example, SA = 2lw + 2lh + 2wh for a rectangular prism).

3. Can equations of 3D solids be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, equations of 3D solids can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. They can help determine the dimensions, volume, and surface area of objects, which can be useful in designing and building structures or understanding physical properties.

4. What is the role of coordinates in equations of 3D solids?

Coordinates are used to represent the position of points, lines, and planes in 3D space. They play a crucial role in equations of 3D solids as they help define the shape and orientation of the solid. They also allow for the calculation of distances and angles within the solid.

5. Are there any limitations to using equations for 3D solids?

Equations of 3D solids have their limitations and may not accurately represent all real-world objects. They are based on mathematical models and assumptions, and as such, may not account for all irregularities or imperfections in physical objects.