Question about Forces Using Unit Vectors

In summary: Then, one could add the two equations, and the two equations could be multiplied by the lengths of the cables to give two equations with the two unknowns (magnitudes of the forces AB and AC). But without the angle information, there is no way to find the individual magnitudes of the forces without making assumptions. In summary, without the angles, the magnitudes of the forces exerted at B by the cables AB and AC cannot be determined. More information is needed in order to solve the problem.
imapeiceofwod
The question is:

The total force exerted on the top of the mast B by the sail boats forestay AB and backstay BC is 180i-820j (N). What are the magnitudes of the forces exerted at B by the cables AB and AC?

I need some serious help with this question. Any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, this belongs in the homework forum. Secondly, there is nowhere near enough information in your post to begin calculating an answer.

thats all the information I am given, i agree its not enough.

I would demand further data, were I in your situation. If this is a school question, as I have been led to believe, your teacher is either an idiot or planting a trap for you. At the very least, you need some sort of diagram to point out what the hell those boaty things are. I know what a mast is, but the rest is just a waste of alphanumeric symbols to me. Get a picture of the bloody set-up, with dimensions, and we might have a starting point.
If, on the other hand, this is some sort of gag being pulled upon you by some "friends", tell them to get stuffed and go grab a pop or coffee to chill out.

Moderator's note: thread moved from General Engineering

imapeiceofwod said:
The question is:

The total force exerted on the top of the mast B by the sail boats forestay AB and backstay BC is 180i-820j (N). What are the magnitudes of the forces exerted at B by the cables AB and AC?

I need some serious help with this question. Any help.
Do you know the angles that the cables AB and AC make?

im given no angle. I am just given what i said in my first post. I made a diagram and that's about it. i just plotted the points on a graph and made drew my vectors.

and this is seriously a legit question my teacher gave me.

Without the angles, or any length information, the problem is impossible to solve as written.

Normally, one would write equations for the net force in both x and y directions.

Related to Question about Forces Using Unit Vectors

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and is used to represent a specific direction in space. It is often denoted by a lowercase letter with a hat ( ̂) on top, such as â. Unit vectors are important in physics because they can be used to break down a vector into its components.

2. How do unit vectors relate to forces?

In physics, forces can be represented by vectors, which have both magnitude and direction. Unit vectors are used to represent the direction of a force, while the magnitude is represented by a scalar value. This allows us to break down a force into its components and analyze its effects in different directions.

3. Can you give an example of using unit vectors to calculate a force?

Sure! Let's say we have a force of 10N acting at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. To calculate this force using unit vectors, we first need to find the x and y components of the force. The x-component would be 10N*cos(30) = 8.66N, and the y-component would be 10N*sin(30) = 5N. These components can then be represented as <8.66, 5>, which is equivalent to 8.66â + 5ĵ. This allows us to easily calculate the force in any direction.

4. Are there different types of unit vectors?

Yes, there are different types of unit vectors depending on the coordinate system being used. In a Cartesian coordinate system, the unit vectors are î, ĵ, and k̂, representing the x, y, and z directions respectively. In a polar coordinate system, the unit vectors are âr and âθ, representing the radial and angular directions.

5. How are unit vectors used in physics problem-solving?

Unit vectors are used in physics problem-solving to simplify the calculations and make them more manageable. By breaking down a vector into its components using unit vectors, we can analyze the effects of a force in different directions and solve problems involving vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.