Question about gravitational attraction

In summary, the formula for gravity is F=Gm1m2/r^2. It is possible to substitute one of the mass values for an energy value, but only if the energy is confined in some way. This concept is explained by general relativity, which states that gravity is not an attraction between masses, but rather a distortion in spacetime. It is important to continue exploring and learning about gravity, as it is a complex and fascinating phenomenon.
RandomDude
So the formula is F=Gm1m2/r^2. Could you substitute one of the mass values for an energy value since gravity attracts energy ? Or would this require a different equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using E=mc^2?

Yes, you could do that ... but only if the energy was confined somehow.

A full treatment requires general relativity.

Welcome to PF RandomDude :redface:

Simply, gravity "attracts" mass in Einstein's theory and not in Newton's which the equation is from :smile:. There gravity isn't an "attraction" like in Newton's theory. Is is a distortion in spacetime where the mass will follow the distortion. Continue your search about gravity and try reading more about General relativity and space! Have fun!.

Watch this video . Hopefully, it will set you on the right track. (note the video is not the actual representation of gravity in Einstein's theory but it makes it easier for you to visualize it)

Note: My post might have some errors and wrong physics/terminology, so I will leave it for the experienced to correct me :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for helping me wrap my mind around that, I've never actually been in a physics classroom yet. I self study for now.

Don't worry :smile:

I have never been in a physics classroom. And now I am continuing to my second year undergrad in physics! You are curious and that what matters !:thumbs:

Medicine and Physics are definitely the two things I'm interested in right now.
Yeah I asked myself why things happen and I indulged into physics.

You've got medicine physics :tongue:

1. How does gravitational attraction work?

Gravitational attraction is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of attraction is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the greater the mass of the objects and the closer they are, the stronger the gravitational attraction will be.

2. What is the difference between gravitational attraction and gravity?

Gravitational attraction refers to the force of attraction between two objects, while gravity is a fundamental force that attracts all objects with mass towards each other. Gravity is the result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects, and it is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies.

3. Can gravitational attraction be negative?

No, gravitational attraction is always a positive force. This means that it always pulls objects towards each other and never pushes them away. However, the direction of the force can be negative if it is pointing in the opposite direction of the motion of the objects.

4. How does distance affect gravitational attraction?

The force of gravitational attraction decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. This means that the farther apart the objects are, the weaker the gravitational attraction will be.

5. Can gravitational attraction be cancelled out?

Yes, gravitational attraction can be cancelled out if there is another force acting in the opposite direction with equal magnitude. This is known as equilibrium, and it occurs when the forces on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force. In this case, the gravitational attraction would be cancelled out and the objects would not move towards each other.