Question about Holograms and 3D mid air images, videos, etc.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of projecting 3D, mid-air images and videos without a holographic screen, similar to the Princess Leia hologram in Star Wars. However, the experts do not believe this is currently possible and it is uncertain when or how it will become a reality. The conversation also touches on the potential impact if this technology were to arrive in the next six years, but the experts do not believe this will happen. The conversation ends with the experts stating that they will not entertain further discussions on this topic and the thread is locked.
Malaxus
I am very curious about holograms and if there is a possible way to project 3D , mid-air images and videos on air with no holographic screen (The Princess Leia hologram in Star Wars). If it is not possible, how long till they actually start arriving to the world and how will they work/operate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Malaxus said:
I am very curious about holograms and if there is a possible way to project 3D , mid-air images and videos on air with no holographic screen (The Princess Leia hologram in Star Wars).

Not that we know of at this time. Not like how holography is portrayed in things like star wars and star trek.

Malaxus said:
If it is not possible, how long till they actually start arriving to the world and how will they work/operate?

We don't even know if such a thing is possible, let alone when it will arrive and how it works.

Drakkith said:
Not that we know of at this time. Not like how holography is portrayed in things like star wars and star trek.
We don't even know if such a thing is possible, let alone when it will arrive and how it works.
What if such thing was possible and was to arrive in the next six years? What would change?

Malaxus said:
What if such thing was possible and was to arrive in the next six years? What would change?

Much more than I could possibly imagine and post about. I'll leave all that to your imagination since it isn't going to happen.

Do you have any questions that have to do with current, real-world physics? If not I'm going to have to lock this thread.

Drakkith said:
Much more than I could possibly imagine and post about. I'll leave all that to your imagination since it isn't going to happen.

Do you have any questions that have to do with current, real-world physics? If not I'm going to have to lock this thread.
No, just curious. Thanks anyways. 2020 is the year.

Alright. Thread locked.

1. How do holograms and 3D mid air images work?

Holograms and 3D mid air images use a technology called holography, which is the process of creating a 3D image by recording the interference pattern of two laser beams. This pattern is then reproduced using another laser beam, creating the illusion of a 3D object in space.

2. What are the applications of holograms and 3D mid air images?

Holograms and 3D mid air images have a wide range of applications in different industries such as entertainment, advertising, education, and medical fields. They can be used for creating immersive experiences, visualizing complex data, and medical simulations.

3. How are holograms and 3D mid air images different from regular 3D images?

Holograms and 3D mid air images are different from regular 3D images because they can be viewed without the need for special glasses or equipment. They also give the illusion of a 3D object existing in space, rather than just on a flat screen.

4. Are holograms and 3D mid air images just for entertainment purposes?

No, holograms and 3D mid air images have many practical applications in various industries. They can be used for training, education, and visualizing complex data in fields such as architecture, engineering, and medicine.

5. Can holograms and 3D mid air images be created in real time?

Yes, there are technologies that allow for the creation of real-time holograms and 3D mid air images. These systems use advanced computer algorithms and projectors to create and display the images in real time.