Question about how to calculate the Resultant Force at this point

In summary, the 5N force vector will have positive x and y components if it remains in the third quadrant, but if transferred to the first quadrant it will have negative x and y components.
mishelhad
Homework Statement
Resultant force
Relevant Equations
Resultant forcd
Hello all
Trying to solve this one, faced a dilemma if i should trasfer the 5N vector from third to first quadrat becuase it head is on the 0 axis ass opposed to the two other vectors.
If it remains in third quadrant its components eouls be both negative, if transferred to first quadrant both components will be positive.

Please help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210525-011315_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20210525-011315_Samsung Notes.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 108
Physics news on Phys.org
mishelhad said:
Homework Statement:: Resultant force
Relevant Equations:: Resultant forcd

Hello all
Trying to solve this one, faced a dilemma if i should trasfer the 5N vector from third to first quadrat becuase it head is on the 0 axis ass opposed to the two other vectors.
If it remains in third quadrant its components eouls be both negative, if transferred to first quadrant both components will be positive.

Please help
Welcome to PF.

Are you familiar with how to express those vectors in x-y rectangular vector form? It's a lot easier to work with this kind of problem in rectangular coordinates.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Are you familiar with how to express those vectors in x-y rectangular vector form? It's a lot easier to work with this kind of problem in rectangular coordinates.
Yes i do, i tried doint this, my question is should all vectors start at the same origin, having all tails at the same point? Then starting to find components of x and y for each?
My problem is with the 5N force vector.
Its confusing me.

Put the origin at the point A, with the x-axis to the right and y-axis up. Then it is easier to visualize if you move the 5N force vector along its axis until its tail is at A. Then draw the vertical and horizontal lines for all 3 vectors to give you their x-y components and add those up to get the resultant vector.

If a force vector is pushing the point up and to the right with its point/tip, that's the same as if it were slid up along its force line to be shown pulling on the point with its tail. As you start working with Free Body Diagrams (FBDs) for objects that are larger than just a point, you will still consider the force vectors acting along their axis line at whatever point of application is shown in those problems.

Can you show us the components of the 3 vectors in rectangular coordinates and say what you get for the total resultant force?

1622248493677.png

Last edited:
I'll chip in if I may.
mishelhad said:
If [the 5N force] remains in third quadrant its components eouls [?] be both negative,
No. That's wrong and is the source of your confusion.

The x and y components will be positive. They will only be negative for a vector in the 3rd quadrant pointing outwards from the origin.

Think of the 5N vector alone, without the other two vectors and with no origin. Then ask yourself: what are its x and y components?

Likes Delta2 and berkeman
Me too. You add the vectors head to tail. To do this I recommend a sketch additional to the free body diagram: draw the vectors head to tail, in any order, but keep the orientation and size. It will save you from dumb mistakes

Likes Steve4Physics and berkeman

1. What is meant by Resultant Force?

The Resultant Force is the overall force acting on an object or point, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of all individual forces acting on it.

2. How do I calculate the Resultant Force at a specific point?

To calculate the Resultant Force at a point, you will need to first determine all the individual forces acting on that point. Then, use vector addition to find the sum of all these forces, taking into account their magnitude and direction. The resulting vector is the Resultant Force at that point.

3. What is the difference between Resultant Force and Net Force?

Resultant Force and Net Force are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference. Net Force refers to the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all individual forces acting on it. Resultant Force specifically refers to the overall force acting on a specific point, taking into account all individual forces acting on that point.

4. Can the Resultant Force be negative?

Yes, the Resultant Force can be negative. This means that the forces acting on the object or point are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force that is less than zero. In this case, the object or point will experience a net force in the direction of the larger force.

5. How does the angle of a force affect the Resultant Force?

The angle of a force can greatly affect the Resultant Force. If two forces are acting on an object or point at the same angle, their Resultant Force will be greater than if they were acting at different angles. Additionally, the direction of the Resultant Force will be influenced by the angles of the individual forces.